PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics: Who will win the WAG All Around at London 2012?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

oleada
06-30-2012, 06:35 PM
I hope it's Komova or Mustafina.
Mustafina winning would be an amazing comeback story. She was so awesome at 2010 Worlds.

bek
06-30-2012, 07:08 PM
I hope it's Komova or Mustafina.
Mustafina winning would be an amazing comeback story. She was so awesome at 2010 Worlds.

Yeah I'm starting to have a much better feeling about Komova's chances; frankly even without the Amanar. Looking at her on beam at Russian Cup she seems to be getting more and more steady on the event. People who know about the Russian team last year said, Komova because of the ankle actually really didn't have a lot of numbers on beam; and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case at Europeans too given she was coming of another ankle surgery.. She trained it but; I would imagine beam is an event where you really need to have a lot of numbers to be consistent. In fact the head of the Russian team commented that he thinks Komova could win beam at the Olympics; which may sound about where her training is going. I really do think when Komova hits that beam routine with minimal wobbles she really is the most beautiful beam worker in the world.

I'm a bit concerned about floor with her, but I think that too is the case of not enough numbers yet... She looks like she did on floor what she did at Worlds. And I remember a couple of weeks after more times and number Komova looked MUCH better on floor. I think that's going to be the case here.

Mustafina too I think given how she's improving on floor has a great shot too. In fact I think the Russians really could go 1-2 in the AA.

judgejudy27
06-30-2012, 07:28 PM
The Romanian's say she has it.

Well if she has a strong Amanar and improved bars it could be interseting. She is stronger than Wieber and much stronger than Komova or Mustafina right now on beam and floor. I dont know if Komova or Mustafina will have an Amanar by London either. Then there is headcase Douglas as well I guess, who cant even seem to beat Wieber even when she hits (eg- day 1 of both Nationals and Olympic trials), and is so inconsistent too, so she seems like a real long shot as much as I like her gymnastics.

It seems the sentiment of many is just wanting anyone but Wieber to win the AA. I dont like Wieber's gymnastics much, so part of the reason I am drilling into my mind she is a lock is to be prepared for the inevitable dissapointment when she wins in London. Then if she doesnt it will be a glorious surprise, and the further down from 1st she is all the better (even only 2nd I will be over the moon joyed though with as it means the very pleasant surprise she wasnt 1st). If the expected happes and she wins, I already got the dissapointment out of the way so it isnt even present really, it is just a neutral feeling, it is what was expected in my mind in advance. When she won the World AA last year which after seeing the whole competition I am still convinced she clearly didnt deserve to win, it reinforced in my mind she really has the judges on her side however, and by the competitions this year and her frequently IMO inflated E scores, and questionable connections being given sometimes on beam, she still does.

jlai
07-02-2012, 05:06 AM
I haven't followed enough to tell who's who, but I want whoever is the most graceful to win (ala Nastia in 2008). Kinda tired of the rhythmless big tricks. I want the winner to make it look easy and graceful. Please

avivadawn
07-02-2012, 05:33 AM
1. Komova
2. Mustafina
3. Weiber

That is what I believe will happen, not the way I'd want it to shake out.

Vash01
07-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Gabby Douglas not even an option? She beat Jordyn at the Olympic trials and was second at the US nationals.

Domshabfan
07-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Gabby Douglas not even an option? She beat Jordyn at the Olympic trials and was second at the US nationals.

Gabrielle Douglas is an option :P

Loves_Shizuka
07-03-2012, 09:16 AM
After trials I'm even more convinced Wieber is going to win, as odd as that may sound as Douglas beat her there. I think her 2nd place finish was just the push and motivation Jordyn needed, and though I love Gabby a whole lot more, I just can't see her nailing it sufficiently in an AA Olympic final. Wieber seems to have nerves of steel.

We don't know where Komova and Mustafina are in relation, but ideally I'd love it if one of these two took gold (or Gabby) I have a sneaking suspicion that the Russians will show up with a few surprises in London.

Cyn
07-03-2012, 09:57 AM
I'd like to see Wieber or Douglas win the AA, but I worry about Douglas' nerves once she gets there, plus the Beam seems to be her nemesis.

Wieber has nerves of steel, plus when she doesn't do as well as she knows she's able, she's able to harness that and come back with a vengeance.

Overall, my pick is basically anyone but Komova (ABK) :EVILLE: :saint:.

Karpenko
07-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Um, right then.

I would love to see Komova clobber the competition like she is completely capable of. :saint:

Ultimately Gabby for the moment and overall qualities, but I can't root against beautiful gymnastics, and I absolutely never ever will.

Loves_Shizuka
07-03-2012, 05:36 PM
C'mon Komova! :cheer2: :rofl:

I'd be thrilled for Gabby to win too. I just wish she had a new/better FX.

chipso1
07-03-2012, 05:49 PM
I voted for Komova, but I'd rather see Mustafina or Douglas win. It would be an amazing comeback story for Aliya, and I would be elated if Gabby could finally put it all together on the sport's biggest stage.

pollyanna
07-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I'd be thrilled for Gabby to win too. I just wish she had a new/better FX.
It is ridiculously cheesy, but I think it will be a big crowd-pleaser, and if she hits with the crowd firmly behind her, it will help her score. As Scott Hamilton always says, the judges are part of the crowd, too. :)

Loves_Shizuka
07-03-2012, 07:46 PM
^I confess, you're probably right :)

jl
07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Sorry, treat me as completely out of the water for this, but how should the women be ranked, between "contender" and "darkhorse"? (I tried to classify them; please let me know if you think I'm off or not)

From discussion, it seems that for contender, you get Komova, Mustafina, Wieber and Douglas.

Komova and Mustafina's big issue being what they'll have ready in time for the Olympics (Amanar or not) plus their injury issues, and a Q on Komova's competitive nerve.

Wieber seems to have the Amanar and competitive nerve, but her bars score will set her down somewhat.

Douglas has the Amanar and a solid bars set, but her competitive nerves are in question.

I don't really know if any of them has super-special beam or floor compared to the other, so I'd put those all as about equal and variable to how execution is on the day.

Then on the dark-horses, you have:

Iordache - big questions on what she'll have. Romanians claim she has Amanar, she apparently doesn't have a strong bars set, her beam is great, I'm not sure what her floor looks like. Untested as well.

Jinnan - the reigning AA bronze medalist. No Amanar for sure, but a good beam. Floor and bars aren't too weak, since she has added a new skill to her bars. I'm not sure if she's solid.

Huang - apparently the Chinese claim she has an Amanar too. Decent bars, and I'm not sure on floor or beam. Big question on nerve.

DLL/JYY - no clue on where they're at. DLL did win the AA at a very stingy Chinese nationals (Yao withdrew), but I don't see either coming into the picture. Very questionable Amanar for JYY (none for DLL) and the other three events are solid but not spectacular.

Grishina/Ross/Raisman - all potential darkhorses to win but will likely be ignored for the contenders above.

It really is a question on two events, it looks like. If you have both a great bars set and an Amanar, you look to be in good shape to win (because that's where the greatest variations in D-score are). I'm not sure on floor and beam, since the scores seem to bunch up much more closely than on the aforementioned two events.