PDA

View Full Version : Value of an Olympic/World title

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

julieann
06-30-2012, 12:42 AM
But there just isn't anything that compares to the accomplishment of putting it together and winning on Olympic Ice.

Unless you don't accomplish anything else....:shuffle:

spikydurian
06-30-2012, 04:17 AM
For the general public, the Olympics have lost its lusture. I think I am the only person I know that watches them when they are on LOL.
You think so? Not my family. :)

t.mann
06-30-2012, 10:26 AM
I think Michael Phelps is as close as we can get to 1970s-80s style Olympic superstars.

Usain Bolt, either.

kappa_1
06-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Usain Bolt, either.

Agreed.

I have a hard time with how big of a pedestal people put the OGM on. I mean, what is the actual difference between winning an OGM and winning a gold medal at Worlds. Certainly not difficulty. The same caliber field, on average, is at an Olympics as at a Worlds. Except the Olympics takes place every 4 years. I understand that to the wider public who doesn't know much about a sport, the Olympics might be a quick guide as to who is the best in the sport. It certainly is prestigious. But for we skating fans, we know there is a lot more than being brilliant on 2 nights every 4 years that goes into being a great skater (we have mentioned Browning and Kwan).

UGG
06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
The fact that Sarah Hughes is Olympic Champion with that short program she skated is just sad.

Vagabond
07-01-2012, 12:26 AM
The fact that Sarah Hughes is Olympic Champion with that short program she skated is just sad.

Any sadder than that Beatrix Schuba is an Olympic Champion with that Free Skate she skated?

And don't get me started on Magda Mauroy-Julin's Free Skate! :scream:

falling_dance
07-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Any sadder than that Beatrix Schuba is an Olympic Champion with that Free Skate she skated?

Speaking only for myself, I would need to see more compulsory figures footage before making that determination.

And don't get me started on Magda Mauroy-Julin's Free Skate! :scream:

Theresa Weld wuzrobbed! Damn those sexist, ladies'-jump-hating judges! :angryfire

duane
07-01-2012, 06:23 PM
I have a hard time with how big of a pedestal people put the OGM on. I mean, what is the actual difference between winning an OGM and winning a gold medal at Worlds.
The pressure!

Surely there is tremendous pressure in winning World gold, but the Olympics is the biggest prize in the sport, it is seen by billions of more people worldwide, and with it happening once every four years, there's less opportunity to win it.

skatesindreams
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Speaking only for myself, I would need to see more compulsory figures footage before making that determination.

You may find this of interest:
http://daysoftheperfectsix.blogspot.com/2010/06/compulsory-figures-gone-but-not.html

In 1972 there were six of them; comprising 60% of the score.

falling_dance
07-01-2012, 08:58 PM
You may find this of interest:
http://daysoftheperfectsix.blogspot.com/2010/06/compulsory-figures-gone-but-not.html

When I put together Schuba's apparent virtuosity in school figures with her competitive record, it's hard to sympathize with snarky comments about how the ladies' OGM isn't the be-all and end-all if she has one. It's like saying that Midori Ito wasn't a great skater because she wasn't good at compulsory figures; each, in her own way, was outstanding.

Completely OT, but blue ice is very pretty.

julieann
07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
The pressure!

Surely there is tremendous pressure in winning World gold, but the Olympics is the biggest prize in the sport, it is seen by billions of more people worldwide, and with it happening once every four years, there's less opportunity to win it.

Michael Phelps has won 16 Olympic medals and will probably win more in London. Scott Hamilton only won 18 medals his whole career. The Olympics just has more pomp and circumstance. The Opening Ceremonies, the media hype before-hand and the sponsor placement. It may be seen by billions but are they really fans of the sport or are they just tuning in because it's on? I normally don't give a thought to Track & Field or diving except for the Olympics because it's on; but I have no idea who any of them are. With Worlds at least the athletes know true fans are watching because they are true fans.

duane
07-01-2012, 11:37 PM
With Worlds at least the athletes know true fans are watching because they are true fans.
So what's your point? That the OGM is not considered the biggest prize in skating? That skaters prefer winning the WGM over the OGM because they know "true fans" are watching?

julieann
07-02-2012, 12:06 AM
So what's your point? That the OGM is not considered the biggest prize in skating? That skaters prefer winning the WGM over the OGM because they know "true fans" are watching?

I never said 'skaters prefer winning the WGM over the OGM because they know "true fans" are watching' that must have been what/how you read it. I don't think a skater thinks it's the end of the world if they miss out on the Olympic medal (there have been plenty) especially ones who have won world gold medals. It's may be big in size and scale but it really is just one competition in the grand scheme of things.

AlisonS
07-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Wrt the OGM, I often wonder what would have happened if they had not switched the years that the Winter Olympics were held. If the competitions had been 96, 00, 04 I think you can easily argue that completely different people would have won than in 94, 98 and 02. Michelle or Chen Lu would have won in 96, Michelle or Irina would have won in 00 and not sure about 04 but it would not have been Sarah Hughes! Oksana Baiul would have completely missed her competitive window, as would Tara and Sarah.

julieann
07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Wrt the OGM, I often wonder what would have happened if they had not switched the years that the Winter Olympics were held. If the competitions had been 96, 00, 04 I think you can easily argue that completely different people would have won than in 94, 98 and 02. Michelle or Chen Lu would have won in 96, Michelle or Irina would have won in 00 and not sure about 04 but it would not have been Sarah Hughes! Oksana Baiul would have completely missed her competitive window, as would Tara and Sarah.

I also wonder that, I also wonder if people devalue the OGM that was won in 94 because they only waited two years to win it and not four?