PDA

View Full Version : Value of an Olympic/World title

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

VIETgrlTerifa
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
In skating, no doubt that the OGM is the biggest prize of them all. However, not having one isn't like a Karl Malone situation of never having a championship ring because though not of the same, otherworldly status of an OGM, a world championship title is heavily regarded in figure skating and still has clout associated with it. In a way, winning worlds for a figure skater is like a basketball team winning NBA finals while winning the Olympics is just something beyond. Or maybe the NBA finals is like winning the Olympics with no analogy for Worlds because winning Worlds is definitely worth more than a conference title in basketball.

For my personal preferences, I like it when OGM winners have also won a World title because it adds more legitimacy to it. I know it's not entirely logical and I don't mean to downplay Olympic champions who don't have World titles, but it adds more credence that their wins weren't just flukes.

julieann
06-29-2012, 06:44 PM
For my personal preferences, I like it when OGM winners have also won a World title because it adds more legitimacy to it. I know it's not entirely logical and I don't mean to downplay Olympic champions who don't have World titles, but it adds more credence that their wins weren't just flukes.

I agree with that statement as long as it's not a month later and then they retire. I like longevity if their bodies can take it.

I aways bring up the Michelle/Sarah analogy. I would much rather have Michelle's careers even though she never won a gold but Sarah had a sub-par career who did well once when it counted. I don't think the Olympics legitimizes the sport anymore than the Goodwill Games did. If I came up with a made up competition and everyone competed would that medal be any more special than the World medal? Maybe.

judgejudy27
06-29-2012, 06:55 PM
I think many time World winners or dominant skaters like Kim who have the OGM have the edge over many time World winners or dominant skaters who dont have one. Michelle Kwan is an exception to that rule as she is one of a kind. However an OGM doesnt put skaters like Lysacek, Arakawa, Hughes, Bauil, Schwarz, Urmanov, Kazahkova & Dmitriev, or Kulik (skaters who fit neither of those categories, nor made any kind of special contribution to the sport) over skaters who dont have one.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Not to mention that in a judged sport, often times the winner is chosen by one or two votes. In a very close call, can one objectively say that the gold medal winner deserves to be put on legendary status while the silver medalist is only seen as great but not great enough? I think the public puts so much stock in the title itself that they don't bother looking at the context in which titles are won. As objectively as we like to judge competitions, the truth is that it's still highly subjective and winners aren't always clear-cut like in some other sports.

UGG
06-29-2012, 07:53 PM
I know athletes want to be Olympic Champion, but it just for some reason is not the same as it was back in the day. I don't think the OGM will ever give athletes Peggy Flemming, Dorthy Hamil, Brian Boitano Mary Lou Retton (yeah i know she was a gymnast) type popularity. Look at current athletes who have won the Olympics- Tara, Sarah, Evan, Carly Patterson, Nastia Leukin. They are in no way a big part of pop culture the way back in the day winners were. Michelle (in the US) is probably the closest thing and she does not even have an OGM. Sean White perhaps as well.

For the general public, the Olympics have lost its lusture. I think I am the only person I know that watches them when they are on LOL.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
I think Michael Phelps is as close as we can get to 1970s-80s style Olympic superstars.

UGG
06-29-2012, 10:33 PM
I think Michael Phelps is as close as we can get to 1970s-80s style Olympic superstars.

Yeah you are right.

attyfan
06-29-2012, 10:39 PM
And don't be fooled..... That OGM is worth millions of World titles... It's worth is demonstrated in every way one can measure... Doesn't mean one can't be great without it.... Just means it is the biggest prize in the sport

That the OGM is the biggest prize in the sport doesn't mean that it is automatically worth millions of World titles ... it is the number of world titles, for example, that establish the greatness of Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning, even without the OGM. Certainly the importance of the OGM isn't demonstrated "in every way one can measure". OGM Lysacek, for example, would probably give his right arm to earn as much as Kwan or Browning.

duane
06-29-2012, 10:50 PM
I think many time World winners or dominant skaters like Kim who have the OGM have the edge over many time World winners or dominant skaters who dont have one.
But the women who are many-time World medalists are also Olympic Gold Medalists. Michelle is the only woman with 3-or-more World titles but no OGM.

falling_dance
06-29-2012, 10:52 PM
But the women who are many-time World medalists are also Olympic Gold Medalists. Michelle is the only woman with 3-or-more World titles but no OGM.

Actually, the same can be said of Lili Kronberger and Opika von Méray Horváth. ;)

duane
06-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Did the Olympics occur during their time?

Vagabond
06-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Opika von Méray Horváth was so robbed!!!! :drama: :wuzrobbed

Lili Kronberger too! :mad:

falling_dance
06-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Did the Olympics occur during their time?

The Summer Games in 1908 would have been their best bet; as it happens, neither participated. (Fun trivia: Kronberger medaled at 1906 and 1907 Worlds, at the ages of 15 and 16, respectively.) After that, they would have to have waited to skate in Antwerp in 1920. Unsurprisingly, neither took part in those Games, either.

:saint:

AxelAnnie
06-30-2012, 12:24 AM
That the OGM is the biggest prize in the sport doesn't mean that it is automatically worth millions of World titles ... it is the number of world titles, for example, that establish the greatness of Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning, even without the OGM. Certainly the importance of the OGM isn't demonstrated "in every way one can measure". OGM Lysacek, for example, would probably give his right arm to earn as much as Kwan or Browning.

Well, we disagree (respectfully, of course).

I am not implying that world titles, or any other medals are worthless, or that a skater can't be great without that prize. But there just isn't anything that compares to the accomplishment of putting it together and winning on Olympic Ice.

julieann
06-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Not to mention that in a judged sport, often times the winner is chosen by one or two votes. In a very close call, can one objectively say that the gold medal winner deserves to be put on legendary status while the silver medalist is only seen as great but not great enough? I think the public puts so much stock in the title itself that they don't bother looking at the context in which titles are won. As objectively as we like to judge competitions, the truth is that it's still highly subjective and winners aren't always clear-cut like in some other sports.

So True

Swimmer Milorad Čavić who touched the wall before Michael Phelps in the 2008 Olympics but not as hard-got the silver.

:shuffle: It happens