PDA

View Full Version : Value of an Olympic/World title

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

DimaToe
06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Maybe sideways:P...oh, that was mean. I'm sorry...:slinkaway

:yikes: ...Yeah it was, :rofl: But you do bring up a good point, even though she did grow taller after her olympic win, she was not in the best of shape (for an elite athlete) when 2003 worlds came around.

UGG
06-22-2012, 05:59 PM
It's been a decade since Sarah won and she is pretty much forgotten. For skating fans she is known as the one hit wonder and luckiest Olympic Champion of all time. To casuals, she's Sarah Who?

Well, that really has nothing to do with anything that I am talking about.

Most casual fans don't remember anything from any Olympics after 10 years. Being Olympic Champion is not what it once was back in the 80's and prior.

The US has had 4 Olympic champions since 1992 (Kristy, Tara, Sara, Evan) and NONE of them are a sort of pop culture icon the way Dorthy, Brian B, etc...were (and still are).

My point was that Sarah's win will be regarded as a great moment in Olympic history. (not for me LOL but in general)

museksk8r
06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
There are certain skaters who haven't cracked top 15 in the World (Viktor Pfeifer, Jeremy Ten, Sergei Dobrin, Joey Russell, Jamal Othman) that I enjoy watching way more than Evan Lysacek or Evgeni Plushenko, so for me the Olympic and World title doesn't hold much weight at all. It's how you move me as a performer that matters.

dawnie
06-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Well, that really has nothing to do with anything that I am talking about.

Most casual fans don't remember anything from any Olympics after 10 years. Being Olympic Champion is not what it once was back in the 80's and prior.

The US has had 4 Olympic champions since 1992 (Kristy, Tara, Sara, Evan) and NONE of them are a sort of pop culture icon the way Dorthy, Brian B, etc...were (and still are).

My point was that Sarah's win will be regarded as a great moment in Olympic history. (not for me LOL but in general)

Actually, I'd consider Kristi pretty relevant in pop culture especially after her DWTS appearance. People know who she is as much as Dorothy and Boitano.

I understand what you are saying about Sarah's win but I have to disagree with it being one of the great moments in Olympic history. :D

julieann
06-23-2012, 01:00 AM

:eek:

In general, so you mean in her own house?

I think she was a very lucky skater, skating the best when everyone else didn't. But it was really only one competition out of her whole career and I don't even regard her as a great skater, gold or not/Olympics or not.

It's like when a NASCAR driver who is in 8th and 7 cars ahead of him happen to crash and the one is 8th place wins. Is it a win? Sure, how meaningful is it, to me not very.

UGG
06-23-2012, 01:27 AM
:eek:

In general, so you mean in her own house?

I think she was a very lucky skater, skating the best when everyone else didn't. But it was really only one competition out of her whole career and I don't even regard her as a great skater, gold or not/Olympics or not.

It's like when a NASCAR driver who is in 8th and 7 cars ahead of him happen to crash and the one is 8th place wins. Is it a win? Sure, how meaningful is it, to me not very.

It was not a great moment or meaningful for me in any way, as well.

So when I say in general, I mean exactly that. In general. It was a great Olympic story of an underdog seizing the moment. A Cinderella story. I don't think the analogy you used would apply here...I would think it would apply more to 2006. 2002 Ladies had DRAMA. MK was in first place until Irina skated...everyone thinking Irina won...the results flip flopping...mass confusion, seeing Robin drag Sarah on the floor (barf). It was all very dramatic-just want viewers want to see during the Olympics. That is all I mean.

That is all I am saying about it. I really don't like Sarah all that much to get in a big debate about it.

Nours
06-23-2012, 01:36 AM
It was not during the first years, because Euros date back to 1890's for Men and 1930's for Ladies.
IIRC, Euros were opened to North American skaters post-World War II, in 1947 and 1948 only. It was to thank North America for participating in WWII.
After 1948, they decided to stop it (maybe because they won Men and Ladies titles !!!).

That's untrue. Euros were open to non european people before 1948. I can't say it's been since forever, there's no non european skaters on the tables before 1934, but it was certainly the case before world war II also.
1934 Maribel Vinson 3rd. Taking a year to train in Europe after school, I don't remember where but I read that's what started the trend to go oversee to train with the english masters ; now it's the reverse situation (again, as I understand it so if there's error, fell free).
1936 Toshikazu Katayama 7th (men), Kazuyoshi Oimatsu 9th (men), Tsugio Hasegawa gave up (men), Etsuko Inada 9th (ladies), all Japanese citizens a few years after the JSF creation in 1929 (gaining experience ? showing they entered the skating world ? it's only a guess).
Source : 1892 - 1967 Figure skating results, Benjamin T. Wright, ISU publication.

I'm not sure it was to thanks NA for participating in WWII. The rules said that whoever affiliated to a european figure skating association could enter European Championships : it wasn't a birthplace question. I thought it would had been because the fields were reduced by the war but it shouldn't be, the number of skaters (minus the three non european in 1947 and four in 1948) was around the same as before they stopped internationals competitions in 1939.
Then after 1947 and 1948 they may had thought it should be skaters from Europe on the top of the europeans.

As for FCC, at first, only a few big names played the game in singles from north america (Stojko is the only one I remember in fact) and then the big federations used it as a ranking ISU points winning event. I don't know whether the first in ladies and men in USA & CAN just said no or if it was their federation's choice to send the skaters ranked 3-7 at their nationals. I always remember the ladies in USA (Hughes, Kwan, Cohen) being asked and turning down the oportunity but it's maybe a wrong memory. Dance as always been different because I guess it's a free gold for depending of the year, USA or CAN, and maybe they thought it would gain them power or credibility in the eyes of the judges to place higher at worlds. In pairs, it's not the big names didn't came it's just outside them, there was not a lot of competition to expect. All the majors powerhouses sent their skaters though (CHN, CAN, USA). This is not working for olympics skaters during olympic year. Too close to go there, only Asada 2010 who needed it for others reasons showed up.

used2skate
06-23-2012, 02:31 AM
A World Champion is just that ...the best in the world for that season. It is something exclusive that should never be discounted no matter the circumstances.

Marco
06-23-2012, 04:10 AM
A World Champion is just that ...the best in the world for that season. It is something exclusive that should never be discounted no matter the circumstances.

Not the best in the world for that season, just the best in that particular competition. :cool:

skateboy
06-23-2012, 07:26 AM
The Olympic Gold is certainly the most important prize in figure skating. Why?

1) Because the Olympics are every elite athlete's dream. (Have you ever heard an elite figure skater say: "nah, the Olympics are no big deal..." ???)

2) Because the Olys are the highest pressure event for any athlete.

3) Because the Olys get 20 times more press and viewership than any World Championship event.

4) Because Olympic Gold Medalists are privy to very high endorsement deals.

There are many more reasons. Obviously, not all Olympic Gold Medalists are the best in their sport, but they delivered when it counted and, under that kind of pressure, that counts for a great deal.

I never heard of any FS fans devaluing the OGM until Michelle Kwan failed to win one in two different Olympic tries. (No, I'm not bashing. But it's true.)

briancoogaert
06-23-2012, 09:51 AM
That's untrue. Euros were open to non european people before 1948. I can't say it's been since forever, there's no non european skaters on the tables before 1934, but it was certainly the case before world war II also.
Thank you for the explanation. That's what Ive read in a canadian book (Figure Skating, a History). But maybe they were just talking about 1947 and 1948 editions. The book says they allowed North american skaters to compete in 1947 and 1948 to thank them after WWII (I'm fairly sure Dick Button and BA Scott were not affiliated to any european association).

museksk8r
06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I never heard of any FS fans devaluing the OGM until Michelle Kwan failed to win one in two different Olympic tries. (No, I'm not bashing. But it's true.)

I've heard plenty of people devalue the OGM wins of Trixi Schuba ('72), Anett P÷tzsch ('80), Viktor Petrenko ('92), and Oksana Baiul ('94), all before Kwan was an Olympic contender.

briancoogaert
06-23-2012, 12:15 PM
I've heard plenty of people devalue the OGM wins of Trixi Schuba ('72), Anett P÷tzsch ('80), Viktor Petrenko ('92), and Oksana Baiul ('94), all before Kwan was an Olympic contender.
And Alexei Urmanov in 1994 :P

sk8ingcoach
06-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I believe that most Olympic and world championships are worth the same. Because no matter what sort of field you are in, u always had to work yourself all the way to the top. I mean although this past season hasn't been the strongest season, we have still seen skaters like Carolina, Alena and Akiko fight their way to the top like every other champion. So even if the standard is lower the in previous season, there are still those that are true champions that deserve the same gold medal as previous champions

spikydurian
06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I believe that most Olympic and world championships are worth the same. Because no matter what sort of field you are in, u always had to work yourself all the way to the top. I mean although this past season hasn't been the strongest season, we have still seen skaters like Carolina, Alena and Akiko fight their way to the top like every other champion. So even if the standard is lower the in previous season, there are still those that are true champions that deserve the same gold medal as previous champions
In total agreement with sk8ingcoach. They all work hard to achieve the ultimate gold. It is not their fault if the field happens to be weak or other competitors choke at the wrong time. That is reality. Right time, right place, right skate. Happens many times in figure skating and other sports.