PDA

View Full Version : Life After the Games for Five Former Olympians: Features Lipinski, Hughes, Cohen

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

manleywoman
06-19-2012, 09:06 PM
A nice article (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/sports/olympics/life-after-the-games-for-five-former-olympians.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share) that talks about how five former winter Olympians . . . Cohen, Lipinski, Hughes, and speedskater Joey Cheek and skiier Jeremy Bloom . . . are all getting together every month.

It also says Sarah Hughes is writing a book about skating.

Sylvia
06-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I almost started a thread here in GSD earlier today but put in the Trash Can instead because they are retired competitive skaters :): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84008

Yazmeen
06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
That was truly delightful. What a great idea and what a fun group.

manleywoman
06-19-2012, 11:24 PM
I almost started a thread here in GSD earlier today but put in the Trash Can instead because they are retired competitive skaters :): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84008

Sorry. I was in a rush. :) Thanks Sylvia.

AxelAnnie
06-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Great fun. Thanks for the link.

Lacey
06-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Love Sasha, Alex.

nursebetty
06-20-2012, 01:31 AM
That was a fun article. Both guys have impressive charities. Wonder why Tara moved to NY? It would be closer to her house in Kiawah. I would love to have a place there. Love that little island.

Alex Forrest
06-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Well, it was an article, so that's good. But what did it really say? Nothing. What's Lipinski up to except for her Ice Channel commento? And Sarah Hughes is 'writing a book' on skating? It cannot at all be related to proper technique and aesthetic presentation, at least I hope not. Sasha? Eh. Isn't she in Columbia's 'different' school? The one for pro athletes and VIPS? I was much more interested in the skier and skateboarder's resumes. Great for the publicity but I wanted a bit more.

Sylvia
06-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Well, it was an article, so that's good. But what did it really say? Nothing.
Another reason I decided to put the article thread in the Trash Can. ;)

Sarah Hughes just tweeted the following:

Just arrived in Washington D.C. Thrilled to be attending the "White House Title IX 40th Anniversary Celebration" tomorrow.
Panel discussion & event will be streamed LIVE at http://www.whitehouse.gov/live from 2-4pm EST tomorrow. Join the conv by tweeting Qs using #TitleIX
More info at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/06/19/celebrating-landmark-anniversary-women-and-girls

Debbie S
06-20-2012, 02:57 AM
Isn't she in Columbia's 'different' school? The one for pro athletes and VIPS? Sasha is in the School of General Studies. It's designed for older ("non-traditional age") students, many of whom work full or part-time in addition to going to school. I believe most classes are in the evenings. It also provides more flexibility than the traditional undergrad program (Columbia College) so students don't have to take 4 courses each semester and finish their degree in 4 years (or expected to). It makes sense for someone like Sasha, b/c she travels a lot for SOI and other shows and appearances, plus she is older. I believe Tim Goebel went through the same program. Kim Navarro also graduated from GS - I think she was probably still traditional college age but I assume she needed the flexibility, plus afternoon and evening classes, to accommodate her training.

Yes, GS is easier to get into than the traditional undergrad program, but I assume the professors are the same who teach traditional undergrads and course requirements are similar.

ros01
06-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Yes, GS is easier to get into than the traditional undergrad program, but I assume the professors are the same who teach traditional undergrads and course requirements are similar.

Neither is the case, actually. However, I don't think that that should detract from perceptions of Sasha's education. Some people seem to think she is not really studying or not taking it seriously. I am glad she was able to go back to school to achieve new goals.

Garden Kitty
06-20-2012, 05:56 PM

It wouldn't matter to me if they were, or if she was at a completely different school. It sounds like she's having fun and is engaged by the classes - good for her. It must be hard to "leave behind" something that has been as all consuming as skating for the elite level skaters, so I'm always happy when skaters can make a good transition to the next stage - whatever that is for them.

Dilng
06-20-2012, 06:49 PM
How nice that they get together once a month! :)

FunnyBut
06-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Cool that they've kept in touch after all these years.

The article mentioned they all met at 2002 Olys...Tara wasn't a competitor there. I guess she was a spectator? It surprises me because I don't recall any cameras panning to her in the audience (like they always do for Kristi/Peggy/ Dorothy/Boitano whenever they attend a skating comp).

mtnskater
06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Cool that they've kept in touch after all these years.

The article mentioned they all met at 2002 Olys...Tara wasn't a competitor there. I guess she was a spectator? It surprises me because I don't recall any cameras panning to her in the audience (like they always do for Kristi/Peggy/ Dorothy/Boitano whenever they attend a skating comp).

I attended the 2002 Olympics and got Tara's autograph at a signing sponsored by Hallmark. So she was definitely there at some point. Still have it on an Olympic Hallmark card.

Love the article....thanks for sharing. Sasha will always be one of my all-time favorite skaters. Her line and extension are incomparable. I loved Tara for her joy and competetive moxy and consistency....AND the 3/3 loop. I thought Sara had many lovely aspects to her skating including one of the best laybacks ever...and consistency. Wish any of the top U.S. ladies today had the fire to compete like these three.

Sometimes I cannot believe the ridiculous trash-talking that goes on around here :rolleyes::rolleyes: