PDA

View Full Version : Life After the Games for Five Former Olympians: Features Lipinski, Hughes, Cohen

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

brightphoton
06-24-2012, 09:05 PM
^ Haha, I guess she gave up her acting ambitions. Sasha's a smart cookie - she knows where the big money is.

Simone411
06-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Some people will not be satisfied, whatever these Olympians choose to do with their lives.

Yes, exactly.

Thanks for sharing the article. I'm glad Sasha is continuing her education. No one is ever too old to learn or continue his/her education.

leafygreens
06-25-2012, 10:34 PM
I would like to join their little club, but Joey says it's only for Olympians...

:(

Skittl1321
06-25-2012, 11:01 PM
I wonder why Cohen, Lipinski and Hughes are called Olympians? Isnīt an Olympian just anybody (e.g. those who did not make the freeskate) who competed at the Olympics? These three skaters are much more than Olympians, they are Olympic medalists.

I wonder why you would call Lipinski and Hughes just Olympic medalists. I mean, isn't that anyone who earned a medal at the Olympics? These two skaters are much more than Olympic medalists. They are Olympic Gold medalists!

Prancer
06-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Tara Lipinski is 30.

:fragile:

Willowway
06-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaana
I wonder why Cohen, Lipinski and Hughes are called Olympians? Isnīt an Olympian just anybody (e.g. those who did not make the freeskate) who competed at the Olympics? These three skaters are much more than Olympians, they are Olympic medalists.

Posted by Skittl1321

I wonder why you would call Lipinski and Hughes just Olympic medalists. I mean, isn't that anyone who earned a medal at the Olympics? These two skaters are much more than Olympic medalists. They are Olympic Gold medalists!

Jeepers, this is a tough crowd. I think that all that Jaana was doing was asking why these women were not given credit in the article for their medals. That's all, and it comes from a place (skating fandom) where medals are almost always mentioned (and it had better be accurate or there's a lot of push-back). Then people started jumping all over her comment - in football speak "unnecessary roughness".

Of course there is a reason that medals weren't mentioned - one of the participants was not a medalist (perfectly ok - no one said it wasn't) and the writer went with a categorization, Olympians, that was inclusive of the five of them. The fact that one of the guys was not a medal winner isn't a fact that might click in immediately to a skating fan - that's understandable.

One question though and I'm not picking at Jaana but want to understand if I have something wrong (I think I must). I thought that at O's the members of the country all skate for medals - in other words, I didn't think the O's included an elimination (or preliminary) round. Am I wrong about that? Have I been wrong for [too many to mention] years? I always thought that there were no preliminary eliminations at the Olympics.

AndyWarhol
06-26-2012, 02:29 AM
I wish Cohen would stop whinging about not going to prom. I remember when she was 17 all this talk about her graduating, and then concentrating on skating. She went to her junior prom anyway, so its not like she is completely hard done by.

rah rah rah.

antmanb
06-26-2012, 11:52 AM
One question though and I'm not picking at Jaana but want to understand if I have something wrong (I think I must). I thought that at O's the members of the country all skate for medals - in other words, I didn't think the O's included an elimination (or preliminary) round. Am I wrong about that? Have I been wrong for [too many to mention] years? I always thought that there were no preliminary eliminations at the Olympics.

I don't know for sure but isn't there still a cut from the SP to the LP at Olympics?

Zemgirl
06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't know for sure but isn't there still a cut from the SP to the LP at Olympics?
In Vancouver, the top 24 went through in the men's and ladies events. The dance and pairs fields were smaller and there was no cut after the SP - but I think there will be one In Sochi.

UGG
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I wish Cohen would stop whinging about not going to prom. I remember when she was 17 all this talk about her graduating, and then concentrating on skating. She went to her junior prom anyway, so its not like she is completely hard done by.

rah rah rah.

I know I mean seriously-She went to the Olympics. I would rather be an Olympian than go to the prom with some pimply 17 year old who probably would dance really awkward and try and get in my pants at the hotel party after. I hope that maybe the writer was referring to an old quote, and that she is still not talking about it at 28 LOL!

Willowway
06-27-2012, 03:59 AM
For anyone who's interested, I checked:

- The O's have no preliminary rounds - everyone sent to Olympics skates everything, both programs.
- Not so for Worlds - they used to have preliminary rounds but eliminated those. Now there is a significant cut after the first program whatever it is in the skater's discipline.

AJ Skatefan
06-27-2012, 04:50 AM
For anyone who's interested, I checked:

- The O's have no preliminary rounds - everyone sent to Olympics skates everything, both programs.
- Not so for Worlds - they used to have preliminary rounds but eliminated those. Now there is a significant cut after the first program whatever it is in the skater's discipline.

Actually, I think they cut some skaters after the short programs at the Olympics. But there are no preliminaries.

mtnskater
06-27-2012, 06:18 AM
A famous sportswriter called a figure skater taking center ice at the Olympic games all alone with millions watching, the most intense pressure moment in all of sports. Absolutely true. Yet look at the legions of posters here belittling the accomplishment of medaling, let alone winning the gold, by an Olympic figure skater.

nubka
06-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Some people will not be satisfied, whatever these Olympians choose to do with their lives.

ITA. I guess they are all supposed to be busy saving the world, or finding a cure for the common cold... :shuffle:

AndyWarhol
06-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Actually, I think they cut some skaters after the short programs at the Olympics. But there are no preliminaries.

This is correct. I remember Joanne Carter didn't make it through to the LP in 2006