PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #11

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

victoriaheidi
06-19-2012, 04:49 AM
Well, someone had to start it. :D

Proceed...

Scintillation
06-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Oh hey, whats up...watching the Russian Cup vids and I gotta say I think Mustafina has beautiful polish on bars. Yes her twisting form is ugly as hell but her bars are :swoon:.
I do not like Komova's floor music. It doesn't suit her IMO.
And I enjoyed Pavlova's beam, although I was sad to see her switch ring leap is gone. She did that better than anyone.
The Russians can definitely bring it, but I'm personally hoping USA will crush it in the team competition, and then Mustafina and Komova can DOMINATE the AA competition.
I also went ahead and bought Moceanu's book, and so far it's interesting. I feel horrible for her mom. She was denied the chance of becoming a professional athlete, forced in to an arranged marriage, never allowed to see or touch her second-born child...no wonder she said she cried almost every day. I haven't even gotten to the account of her elite gymnastics career yet and I don't care, I want to know more about her mother.

BigB08822
06-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Mustafina's 3twist is far worse than Raisman. Raisman has issues herself on that skill but don't let anyone fool you into thinking it is as bad as Mustafina's. Mustafina's legs are completely crossed and her feet begin to "helicopter." The sad thing is that I think that deduction is a flat .1 so everyone with even slightly crossed legs gets the .1 deduction. In other words, Komova could get a .1 if a judge sees something very very slight and Raisman gets a .1 and so does Mustafina. Way to go, COP.

Scintillation
06-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Mustafina and Ponor should get at least a .3 deduction for how ugly their twists are. I've never thought Aly's triple twist was that bad. No she's not winning any form awards, but she gets it done without making it look too crappy.

Hedwig
06-19-2012, 08:17 AM
About all the upgrades - yes the Russians could upgrade but I wonder if this is the right tactic. They may be showing a new element for the first time in a competition at the Olympics. On top of them being head-casey I am not sure if that is confidence inspiring.

It is sad because I already see Russia breaking my heart with their beautiful gymnastics and their inevitable falls. :(

I love Mustafina's floor. It does not have a lot of choreo in it but somehow it is fierce and full of suspense from beginning to end. And I love her pointed toes throughout even in the double twist at the beginning!

Loves_Shizuka
06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Some China news - Yao Jinnan, Sui Lu, Huang Qiushuang and Deng Linlin are confirmed as "locks". The last spot is officially between He Kexin, Jiang Yuyuan and Tan Sixin.

The men's team is Zou Kai, Chen Yibing, Zhang Chenglong, Teng Haibin and Feng Zhe. Guo Weiyang and Yan Mingyong are the alternates.

gingercrush
06-19-2012, 09:47 AM
They haven't really had the choice. Mustafina is coming back from an injury. Komova had some minor surgery and Grishina has been slowly adding skills. Paseka and Sidorova both came back from injuries. Dementyeva has been injured too.

The Russians also seem a bit smarter at upgrading along with the Romanians. They tend to have their set routines and the capability to insert elements.

---

AND OMG yay thanks for the news Love Shizuka. I am seriously happy. I'm really hoping Tan Sixin is not chosen. I can't decide who I would prefer between Yuyuan and Xexin. I think I want whoever closely resemble their gymnastics of Beijing. But grrr I have three favourite teams and one of them are not going to medal :( I really like them all. The final combinations for Beam in Team Final for every team. I honestly think Beam will be the highlight of these Olympics.

Beam for China is going to be grand. Last years world champion, the silver medallist and a former World Champion. I'm hoping Deng LinLin along with Jinnan and Quishuang will be able to attempt to do AA. I can see why Uneven Bars is a worry as it is probably Jinnans weakest event (though she scored well at worlds) and is definately Deng Linlin's weak event. And Sui Lu isn't good at Bars either. Quishuang is good on Bars but is prone to mistakes.

Loves_Shizuka
06-19-2012, 09:58 AM
^HQS is a model of inconsistency lol. I love her gymnastics but she makes me nervous. I hear she actually has an Amanar (finally) now though. I'm really pleased to see DLL's resurgence. Now I just want JYY on the team. I could cope with HKX too, though I've never been a big fan of one-eventers. I'm with you - I really hope it isn't TSX who gets the fifth spot (sorry TSX)

gingercrush
06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Xexin would be easier teamwise since Linlin would definately be able to qualify for AA. With Yuyuan and/or Sixin things get way tougher because someone is going to miss out on Floor and/or Beam due to those being Lui's strengths and the stupid rule that only lets four gymnasts on each apparatus.

Loves_Shizuka
06-19-2012, 10:30 AM
You're right - as I say, I can cope with Kexin or JYY. And as you say, UB is a weakness. Right now I guess the TF line-up would be YJN and HQS - and that's where HKX would fit into the team more than JYY.

gingercrush
06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
I really hope they go back to six members team and the old qualifying process.

This article is interesting: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/19/oly-gymn-artistry-idUSL3E8HI5VB20120619

Didn't they say this after Beijing?

Buzz
06-19-2012, 12:17 PM
It is a dream of mine for gymnastics to go to a 6-6-5 for format.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
7-6-5 was my favorite format.

Hedwig
06-19-2012, 01:19 PM
I loved both but I think 6-6-5 was my favourite. I am a sucker for the AA. :)

matti
06-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Compulsories and carry-over scores back! And at least change it to 6-5-4 (minimum).