PDA

View Full Version : Travel tips Croatia

Hedwig
06-18-2012, 08:56 PM
I will be spending two weeks in Croatia soon.

We will fly into Split and visit Dubrovnik afterwards. Then we plan to drive by bus or train to Istrien and spend most of our time there (mostly hiking and biking and some culture)

Does anyone have any tips about Croatian in general and Istrien especially? Any places that are a must see? And hostels that are especially cozy?

We are getting around by bus and train mostly and will try to hire bikes somewhere.
We are not very spoilt when it comes to hotels - they don't need to have 5 stars - I'd rather have a cozy and special hostel or a private apartment. In Split we already found one for 40 for one night (20 per person) which is about what I am looking for.

What we'd really like is a several day hiking tour - I haven't found a good one yet - any ideas? Ideally something where one can organize a drop off and pick me up after 2-3 days and a route that is marked in between but one you can do yourself, not a guided tour (I did several of those in New Zealand and loved it!!)

I also like picturesque towns so if there is a special one you think I should visit - I am glad for any tips! :)

Jenya
06-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Oh, Croatia is one of my favorite places on earth, I'm so jealous. You will have a wonderful time. :)

There's a lot of information in this old thread here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57372&highlight=croatia+travel

I don't have any experience hiking in Croatia but I really recommend at least a day trip to Montenegro - Kotor is absolutely beautiful and quite easy to reach from Dubrovnik. You can arrange day trips to Montenegro, Mostar (in Bosnia) and Albania quite easily from Dubrovnik - all are fantastic destinations.

Hedwig
06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh, a whole thread - that is fantastic. Thanks so much! :)

Montenegro sounds interesting too - I will look into that.

reckless
06-18-2012, 11:04 PM
I started the old thread. I actually regret that we spent more time in Istria and did not get a chance (due to timing) to see Dubrovnik.

The one place not to miss is Plitvice Lakes. It's inland and may seem out of the way, but it is spectacular. If you hike, stay at one of the hotels in the park and take advantage of the full time there. It truly is one of the world's great wonders.

barbk
06-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Hedwig -- I'd love a travel report once you return. It is on my list of places to see since H's family comes from an island not far from Dubrovnik.

Hedwig
06-19-2012, 08:10 AM
I started the old thread. I actually regret that we spent more time in Istria and did not get a chance (due to timing) to see Dubrovnik.

The one place not to miss is Plitvice Lakes. It's inland and may seem out of the way, but it is spectacular. If you hike, stay at one of the hotels in the park and take advantage of the full time there. It truly is one of the world's great wonders.

About Plitvice - so there are hotles in the park? that is good to know. We don't want to rent a car unless absolutely necessary and I heard from Hanna here on FSU that all accomodation is about 10-15km afar from the park and that it might be difficult without a car.
Do you happen to know anything about it or can you recommend a hotel in the park?

And were you not that satisfied with Istria?

Vagabond
06-19-2012, 08:29 AM
What we'd really like is a several day hiking tour - I haven't found a good one yet - any ideas? Ideally something where one can organize a drop off and pick me up after 2-3 days and a route that is marked in between but one you can do yourself, not a guided tour (I did several of those in New Zealand and loved it!!)

I also like picturesque towns so if there is a special one you think I should visit - I am glad for any tips! :)

Samobor, located about half an hour from Zagreb, fits your needs to a tee. The town is picturesque, it has exceptionally good food, and the hiking trails in the nearby hills are famous. I'm sure that if you contact the local tourist office there, someone will be able to help you plan a route.

ETA: I know Samobor is not on the Dalmatian Coast, but anyone who is planning a trip to inland Croatia should consider a visit.

Hanna
06-19-2012, 08:31 AM
About Plitvice - so there are hotles in the park? that is good to know. We don't want to rent a car unless absolutely necessary and I heard from Hanna here on FSU that all accomodation is about 10-15km afar from the park and that it might be difficult without a car.
Do you happen to know anything about it or can you recommend a hotel in the park?

Ah just noticed now that you have a thread as well. :) From what I remember, MOST of the accommodation is a bit further from the park. There might have been a place or two within the park or walking distance but definitely not many. And I think they were expensive. My friends (who are planning to go there by public transport in August) were just discussing this with me and said they were having difficulties finding accommodation that doesn't require a car.

But this is just what I remember, I haven't checked anything. Things may also have changed in 4 years. :)

ETA: Out of interest I searched a bit on booking.com and there are a few private houses offering rooms that are 3km or under from the lakes but most of them are on the expensive side (IMO)... so you may want to book quickly. :)

Bailey_
06-19-2012, 01:31 PM
The Bachelorette last night was filmed in Croatia. It looks absolutely beautiful! Definitely on my list of places I want to go...

PRlady
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Hedwig -- I'd love a travel report once you return. It is on my list of places to see since H's family comes from an island not far from Dubrovnik.

Me, too, because I'm planning on Zagreb for Euros and will have a few days after. Of course, it will be January, not July :cold: but I might not get to that part of the world again.

Hedwig
06-19-2012, 03:18 PM
So this is more or less the plan - I don't like to book ahead in case I want to stay longer at one place but more or less it will be like this, especially as I think that I will prebook for Plitvice (I found an affordable hotel there)

30.06. Arrival Split
01.07. Split, in the evening bus to Dubrovnik
02.07. Dubrovnik
03.07. in the morning driving to Zadar
04.-07.07. Plitvicer Nationalpark,
08. or 09.07. in direction of Istrien (for instance Pula) and there beach and biking tours
12.-13.07. Sibenik and from there to KRKA Nationalpark, to Split in the evening
14.07. Split flight home

Comments are welcome. :)

agalisgv
06-19-2012, 03:48 PM
While at Plitvice, you may want to travel to Rastoke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastoke). I've heard it's very beautiful--like a combination of a small town situated within a Plitvice like park. It's very close (33km), and there are some less touristy places to eat and sleep I've heard. Very picturesque (with nice places to hike).

Hedwig
06-19-2012, 04:34 PM
That sounds really nice, thanks for the tip!