PDA

View Full Version : ISU Championships 2015 provisional allotments

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Evilynn
06-18-2012, 08:27 AM
:cheer2: No travel for Euros for once! :cheer2:

lexeoe
06-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Both 2008 4CC and 07/08 GPF was held at Seongsa Ice arena located on the outskirts of Seoul. Before that Mokdong Ice rink was a major venue for ice events incl. Jr Worlds AFAIK. 2010 4CC was at Jeonju, not Seoul.

I personally don't think they will make temporary ice for the event especially in Jamsil area. Jamsil gymnasium has been used for ice shows for several times but it is usually booked for basketball/volleyball league and it's nearly impossible to get a practice rink near the place. Both Mokdong and Seongsa have practice rinks so I assume one of them will be the venue.

Seongsa, is that the one in Goyang City?

vigiliae
06-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Seongsa, is that the one in Goyang City?

Yes it is.

a56
06-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Does this mean another ISU championship will be held in Korea before 2018?
According to their Olympics bid book online, I think it said that their test event would be 2017 Four Continents. I seriously hope they think about getting the 2016 Grand Prix Final or even 2017 Junior Worlds instead of Four Continents as their test event, since that's an opportunity for European skaters and officials to attend as well.

Good for Shanghai for getting 2015 Worlds.

Michael O'C
06-23-2012, 04:38 AM
I vote for Sydney, Sbrisbane, or Smelbourne (okay, the last one didn't sound too great putting an "s" in front of it).

But Australia is never going to get a major international after the 2000 Worlds snub.

You might be right. There was talk some years ago about a 4cs for Brisbane but that seems to have disappeared. We did have a JGP event in Brisbane last year which might have been a step in the right direction. One of our problems is virtually no media interest. A community TV station did show some of the event but didn't do a really good job. They showed some parts many times and others not at all it was very disjointed.

barbk
06-23-2012, 04:48 AM
According to their Olympics bid book online, I think it said that their test event would be 2017 Four Continents. I seriously hope they think about getting the 2016 Grand Prix Final or even 2017 Junior Worlds instead of Four Continents as their test event, since that's an opportunity for European skaters and officials to attend as well.

Isn't the purpose of the test event to allow the organizers and federation officials to test out the arrangements? I can't see how having Junior Worlds there would be particularly helpful for the Olympic skaters, other than a couple that might possibly make it to the Olympics a year later. Is there something special about this arena (vs. all of the other random arenas that host ISU championships) that suggests that it is desirable for Europeans to check it out?

(I understand why sports like luge & bobsled & skiing want to check out the actual facility; I'm just not following the logic on skating.)

Vagabond
06-23-2012, 08:17 AM
(I understand why sports like luge & bobsled & skiing want to check out the actual facility; I'm just not following the logic on skating.)

Just imagine what would have happened if there had been a Winter Olympic Games this year in Bern and there had been a test event at the PostFinance Arena. :cold:

peibeck
06-24-2012, 01:19 AM
My guess is that 2016 Worlds will go to Europe, and the USFSA will hold out for 2017 Worlds.

I was told the USFS is seeking the 2016 championships.

lexeoe
06-24-2012, 05:11 AM

4CC for me is a better test event than GPF since that's a bigger event. i was shocked Sochi didn't go to 2013 Europeans. Torino went for 2005 Euros as their test event.

allezfred
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Nagano used the 1997 NHK Trophy as a test event so there's nothing to say that a championship has to be the test event.

Proustable
06-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Vancouver and Salt Lake also went with 4CC as their test event, I believe.

I think going with Euros or 4CC as the test event makes sense simply because of their size. When Nagano went for the NHK, a GP event had a lot more skaters then the GPF. Admittedly, the combination of the junior and senior skaters in the (J)GPF mitigates that somewhat now.

Vash01
06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
If US decides to go for Worlds 16/17 i hope they field Boston. I know they just got Nationals 2014. If not Boston, hmmmm...... I can't think of any other city.

Phoenix;)