PDA

View Full Version : ISU Championships 2015 provisional allotments

Pages : 1 [2] 3

victoriaheidi
06-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Stockholm, Seoul and Shanghai. Guess they need to choose another city beginning with S for 2015 Junior Worlds! lol

JW in...San Francisco? :D There isn't really a venue that I can think of. That's just wishful thinking.

skipaway
06-17-2012, 06:56 PM
JW in...San Francisco? :D There isn't really a venue that I can think of. That's just wishful thinking.

Spokane?

Also, I'd love to see World's back in DC. Had a blast sharing it with my family members.

oleada
06-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Exciting that China gets Worlds for the first time! I do hope that the attendance is better than Cup of China, though.

npavel
06-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Euros in Sweden again :cheer2:
yes, really great:encore::40beers:

victoriaheidi
06-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Spokane?

Also, I'd love to see World's back in DC. Had a blast sharing it with my family members.

I'm still bummed that I wasn't following skating when Worlds were here in Los Angeles!

Lara
06-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Exciting that China gets Worlds for the first time! I do hope that the attendance is better than Cup of China, though.

It's cool seeing the progression after going through my old tapes - first CoC, then 4CC, then GPF. I was actually wondering when they'd get Worlds!

I do hope the attendance will be good especially if there don't happen to be major Chinese contenders by then (fingers crossed for Yan Han, Zijun Li and improvement from Sui/Han).

essence_of_soy
06-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Stockholm, Seoul and Shanghai. Guess they need to choose another city beginning with S for 2015 Junior Worlds! lol

I vote for Sydney, Sbrisbane, or Smelbourne (okay, the last one didn't sound too great putting an "s" in front of it).

But Australia is never going to get a major international after the 2000 Worlds snub.

essence_of_soy
06-17-2012, 07:41 PM

Actually, Oakland, CA held Worlds in 1992. So, you never know.

UMBS Go Blue
06-17-2012, 08:16 PM
What's Shanghai like in March weather-wise?Was there when 2011 Worlds were originally to have happened in late March. Pretty nice out, not so cold as to warrant a coat if you have a long-sleeve shirt (even at night time), but not so hot as to warrant light clothing. About 70-75F during in the day, 60F at night.

Should be a great event, not only for skating's visibility in China and for Chinese skating, but for adventurous travelers as well, as the city not only personifies the Chinese need for speed in getting ahead, but also boasts all the high-end comforts, luxuries, and amenities found in the highest circles in the West.

barbk
06-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Was there when 2011 Worlds were originally to have happened in late March. Pretty nice out, not so cold as to warrant a coat if you have a long-sleeve shirt (even at night time), but not so hot as to warrant light clothing. About 70-75F during in the day, 60F at night.

That sounds about perfect. Maybe I can make that happen.

michelle K
06-18-2012, 01:10 AM
2015 Four Continents in Seoul? I thought Gangneung (Pyeongchang) would be given an event to test operational readiness of the actual Olympic venue? Does this mean another ISU championship will be held in Korea before 2018?

essence_of_soy
06-18-2012, 01:21 AM
^ Interesting point

SpeedySucks
06-18-2012, 01:28 AM
2015 Four Continents in Seoul? I thought Gangneung (Pyeongchang) would be given an event to test operational readiness of the actual Olympic venue? Does this mean another ISU championship will be held in Korea before 2018?

The figure skating venue in Gangneung has not been constructed yet; once it is, I'm guessing that Gangneung will host either the 2016-17 GPF or 2017 4CC. Korea hosted the 2008 4CC, 2008-09 GPF, and 2010 4CC, so they've hosted several major events in the same quadrennium previously.

lexeoe
06-18-2012, 02:57 AM
which venue in Seoul will they be using? I'm thinking of Jamsil Arena or the Jamsil Indoor Swimming Pool. Both facilities were used for Seoul 1988

vigiliae
06-18-2012, 03:12 AM
which venue in Seoul will they be using? I'm thinking of Jamsil Arena or the Jamsil Indoor Swimming Pool. Both facilities were used for Seoul 1988

Both 2008 4CC and 07/08 GPF was held at Seongsa Ice arena located on the outskirts of Seoul. Before that Mokdong Ice rink was a major venue for ice events incl. Jr Worlds AFAIK. 2010 4CC was at Jeonju, not Seoul.

I personally don't think they will make temporary ice for the event especially in Jamsil area. Jamsil gymnasium has been used for ice shows for several times but it is usually booked for basketball/volleyball league and it's nearly impossible to get a practice rink near the place. Both Mokdong and Seongsa have practice rinks so I assume one of them will be the venue.