PDA

View Full Version : Question about citizenship

Pages : 1 2 [3]

A.H.Black
06-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Do you live in the Bay Area, by any chance? If so, you can get 1992 Olympic gymnastics champion Tatiana Lysenko (http://youtu.be/oWFe0WFCtVo) to represent the case. She's now an immigration lawyer in the Bay Area.

When I read that's she's a lawyer in the US, I thought it must be somebody else named Tatiana Lysenko. But it's her! Amazing that someone who didn't start learning English as an adult is now an American lawyer!

We should team her up with Gorsha Sur.

milanessa
06-20-2012, 01:11 AM
We should team her up with Gorsha Sur.

NO, NO and HELL NO! Gorsha is mine............;)

A.H.Black
06-27-2012, 02:46 AM
I hesitate to post this but I think I need an outlet for my emotions.

Yesterday, eight days after his marriage, my neighbor drowned in one of the local reservoirs while trying to help one of his sons who was having trouble. They were by the shore. Neither knew how to swim. He may have had his clothing caught on some branches as he drowned in 5 ft. of water.

I am very sad.

Story is here is anyone is interested - http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=21009906

agalisgv
06-27-2012, 02:50 AM
Beyond tragic--just unbelievable.

milanessa
06-27-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm so sorry, A.H. Not only for his death but for the complications this might cause his new wife on top of her grief. Tragic. :(

cruisin
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
How horrible! There are just no words.

TheGirlCanSkate
06-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I am so sorry you have lost a friend and neighbor. Tragic.

TheGirlCanSkate
06-27-2012, 01:16 PM
I am so sorry you have lost a friend and neighbor. Tragic.

Skittl1321
06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear this! That is absolutely horrible.

kwanfan1818
06-27-2012, 04:25 PM
That is horrible news.

A.H.Black
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts. Today I have a question.

The man's mother and sister now want to take him to Mexico to bury him. His wife/widow is from El Salvador and, as I originally said, she is not a citizen. I don't think she can go to Mexico and then come back.

Does anyone have any information on the subject?

Concerning Social Security - It turns out that my neighbor had both accident insurance and life insurance through his work. This will get him buried and give her something to help. My question is - as his widow, would she be eligible for Social Security benefits?

milanessa
06-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts. Today I have a question.

The man's mother and sister now want to take him to Mexico to bury him. His wife/widow is from El Salvador and, as I originally said, she is not a citizen. I don't think she can go to Mexico and then come back.

Does anyone have any information on the subject?

Concerning Social Security - It turns out that my neighbor had both accident insurance and life insurance through his work. This will get him buried and give her something to help. My question is - as his widow, would she be eligible for Social Security benefits?

I'm really hoping you're asking these questions here as a general "have any of you guys faced this situation"? IMO she needs a lawyer and she needs one quick.

Was their child born in the US? Did he add her as a beneficiary on his insurance? They've only been married a week, he may not have done that. His other children may well have claim to some of that money.

kwanfan1818
06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
First, his wife can only get Social Security benefits if she was in the US lawfully.

Here are the general guidelines from the Social Security site:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/survivorplan/ifyou2.htm

If your friend paid into the system long enough to earn benefits, the site says:

"If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:...
receive survivors benefits at any age if you take care of the deceased worker's child who is under age 16 or is disabled and receives benefits on the worker's record. "

Also, the children from both marriages should be eligible for benefits, if your late friend paid into the system long enough.

Whether she could enter Mexico and return to the US depends on her legal status. She probably does have legal say, as his wife, where he is buried.

This might be a good use of church and community services/connections for legal services.

genevieve
06-27-2012, 09:28 PM
this is so tragic :(

I agree - a lawyer is necessary