PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Junior World Championship win by lady

Pages : 1 [2] 3

RumbleFish
06-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Yuna Kim.
Her win right after 2006 Olympics served as an an early indicaton of what to come for next 4 years and result of next Olympics.

Michael O'C
06-18-2012, 08:16 AM
I will always be a fan of Ann Patrice McDonough. Here is her junior world winning LP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0sLt2SmUy8&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL93186EB2887122F4

AP absolutely deserved to win the year before, she lost to a Slutskaya wannabe who never went anywhere after that win. Kristina Oblasova, man it took some stretching to remember that name.

Always loved AP's stunning face and presence and skills on the ice. It is a shame she did not become more recognized. She was nearly perfection on the ice. And say what you will, I loved Julie's creations. The swan outfit was the only one I winced at, but Julie put AP out there dressed immaculately every time. It's a shame injuries derailed her.

ETA: Here is her brilliant SP. I always wondered who choreographed this SP. I've never seen Etude skated any better, it just was perfection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doBRRA-5mF8

Thank you for this. I didn't see much of A-P but I thought that she had great potential. There have been a few of the girls who have looked to be on their way to the top with a Jr Worlds win but it just hasn't worked out. I just hope that A-P is happy with whatever she is doing now.

Alex Forrest
06-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you for this. I didn't see much of A-P but I thought that she had great potential. There have been a few of the girls who have looked to be on their way to the top with a Jr Worlds win but it just hasn't worked out. I just hope that A-P is happy with whatever she is doing now.

The early 2000s were strange in the US. So much talent, and so much of it fizzled. I was internet pals with a mother of a talented skater who early in those internet years was relentless against two of her daughter's main threats, those being Sasha Cohen and Ann Patrice McDonough. Not a peep about Hughes, Nikodinov, Wheat, Stellato. Just Sasha and AP. They were the 'threats'.

I suppose it was 2003 Nationals that I spent some time with Julie McDonough. We had met when AP won Jrs in 2000. I sat with her during many practices, and I'd heard the bad talk about her, and saw the creepy "You will skate" interview on Lifetime, so of course I found myself next to her to get the up close on her. Let me tell you, Julie was brimming with pride over her daughter, and I came away from Dallas thinking that this is a woman who absolutely loves her daughter and is proud to be her mother. I didn't have the inside scoop at ColSpgs so I can only tell you my impression. I didn't get 'crazy skate parent' from Julie. Danny Kwan? That's another story.

I'm only writing this because it does seem like such a loss when a talented junior just disappears. AP had her foot/ankle injury and it ended. But when I watch AP and especially her Etude Op.25 I am happy that she became the skater she did, she was one of the top five skaters on the PLANET in 02/03 in my opinion. She deserves recognition for her insane skills, her musicality, and her grit. It didn't work out, but hey, that's why people like me post her YT links to remind people. :)

Triple Butz
06-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I suppose it was 2003 Nationals that I spent some time with Julie McDonough. We had met when AP won Jrs in 2000. I sat with her during many practices, and I'd heard the bad talk about her, and saw the creepy "You will skate" interview on Lifetime, so of course I found myself next to her to get the up close on her. Let me tell you, Julie was brimming with pride over her daughter, and I came away from Dallas thinking that this is a woman who absolutely loves her daughter and is proud to be her mother. I didn't have the inside scoop at ColSpgs so I can only tell you my impression. I didn't get 'crazy skate parent' from Julie. Danny Kwan? That's another story.

I'm only writing this because it does seem like such a loss when a talented junior just disappears. AP had her foot/ankle injury and it ended. But when I watch AP and especially her Etude Op.25 I am happy that she became the skater she did, she was one of the top five skaters on the PLANET in 02/03 in my opinion. She deserves recognition for her insane skills, her musicality, and her grit. It didn't work out, but hey, that's why people like me post her YT links to remind people. :)

Thanks for sharing. It always disturbed me to see posts written about AP and her mom and how people were SURE that AP was miserable the entire time she skated and that her mom was wretched. The truth is, AP must have loved skating on some level and her mom was probably not nearly as bad as she was made out to be. As fans who have only a tiny window into their lives as we watch from our couches, we will never know the whole story. It reminds me of what was said about Caroline Zhang over the past few years and all the "she looks miserable and hates skating" talk. I was glad to see Caroline speak out in an icenetwork article and say that yes she was frustrated, but she always loved skating.

victoriaheidi
06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Realizing how much untapped potential Rachael Flatt had always makes me feel a little disappointed for her. But whatever. I voted for hers. This was a time when she seemed like a truly brilliant up-and-comer.

Alex Forrest
06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Realizing how much untapped potential Rachael Flatt had always makes me feel a little disappointed for her. But whatever. I voted for hers. This was a time when she seemed like a truly brilliant up-and-comer.

When Flatt won her Jr World title, I think this was her at her peak and full potential, so it was nice to see her reach her peak and get the title. Ever since, I got the sense that she was fighting her body. A friend on FB just recently posted a pic with Rachael, and she looks like a healthy young woman, but not at all close to being a world class skater. It could have just been a bad shot, bad cut of her dress or that she was sitting too far back in her chair and everything just went sideways. But yeah, back then I was a fan of hers, and I thought she was royally screwed at Nationals that year, and the year before and so forth. So it was nice to see her take the title over I'm guessing Mirai and Caroline that year.

smarts1
06-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Well what do you expect? Tom Zzzzz doesn't know how to make world champions.

gingercrush
06-19-2012, 03:45 AM
Junior Worlds seemed to have two strange periods. 1982-1987 and 96/97-2002/2003.

Amy03
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
deffinitly Mao Asada her victory was soo mesmering, a genius at the age of 15 doing 3A and 3-3 and performing every element flawless,gourges spins, beautifully extended spirals, unbelievable fast and diffecult steps, this performance was the biggest indication to kind of skater she is, and what the future she hold for her... hands down Mao Asada

sk8ingcoach
06-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I thought Mao Asada's Junior worlds win was spectacular, with 3A and the whole program just flowed perfectly. Never seen a skater be so graceful at 15. Rachael was very strong i thought. Yuna was good, but i personally thought her program was a little boring ( although her jumps were good ). Adelina was good, but i think she has been out-shinned by Julia Lipnitskaya

Polymer Bob
06-19-2012, 04:59 PM
It's odd that of the 4 skating disciplines, only the ladies have not had a repeat winner at Junior Worlds. I think it's because it's rare that a girl wins, then is not old enough for senior Worlds next year.

Triple Butz
06-19-2012, 08:35 PM
It's odd that of the 4 skating disciplines, only the ladies have not had a repeat winner at Junior Worlds. I think it's because it's rare that a girl wins, then is not old enough for senior Worlds next year.

Not always, and sometimes they don't make their national world team as a senior. Many skaters have also done both Senior AND Junior worlds in the same season. Off the top of my head, Oblasova, Asada, Zhang, and Sotnikova have all come back to Jr Worlds after winning only to not repeat as champion.

jiggs
06-19-2012, 09:05 PM
I voted for Lipnitskaya. She was simply amazing this season and I can't wait to see her develop.

invierno
06-19-2012, 09:24 PM
I voted for Yuna.
Usually when I watch Junior competitions, even the winners look mainly cute, lovely, sometimes vivacious, but still mostly juniorish. Not that it's bad, 'coz they are juniors.
But Yuna's performances were very mature, lyrical and gorgeous. For me that really makes her stand out.

BmcC102
06-20-2012, 03:33 AM
The early 2000s were strange in the US. So much talent, and so much of it fizzled. I was internet pals with a mother of a talented skater who early in those internet years was relentless against two of her daughter's main threats, those being Sasha Cohen and Ann Patrice McDonough. Not a peep about Hughes, Nikodinov, Wheat, Stellato. Just Sasha and AP. They were the 'threats'.

Thanks for your story. I never jumped on the Julie McDonough hate band wagon, and now I'm glad I stood my ground, because my feeling is that it's all a little blown out of proportion.

I wish I could vote for Jenny Kirk in 2000, but instead I had to vote for Caroline Zhang in 2007. :)