PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the skating DIVA'S:

Pages : 1 2 [3]

duane
06-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Pasha is a true diva. Weir is a drama queen.

burntBREAD
06-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Any videos of Wagner's reactions? I don't really watch much of her, so I never really saw her act like a diva.

There was a video of her at 2010 US Nationals, I believe after Sasha Cohen's (disastrous) free skate (I believe it is in the video of Sasha's FS), the camera panned to Ashley in the back waiting where she kind of jumped up and down, looked really happy, and she appears to say "Only one more girl has to f*** up, and then it's me going. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JlDTXaestCg#t=455s

It's not really that bad though..I would be excited if I was 1st and there were 2 more skaters to go...

l'etoile
06-17-2012, 06:32 PM
There was a video of her at 2010 US Nationals, I believe after Sasha Cohen's (disastrous) free skate (I believe it is in the video of Sasha's FS), the camera panned to Ashley in the back waiting where she kind of jumped up and down, looked really happy, and she appears to say "Only one more girl has to f*** up, and then it's me going. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JlDTXaestCg#t=455s

It's not really that bad though..I would be excited if I was 1st and there were 2 more skaters to go...

Oh how I miss Sasha and how I was still amazed at her trying out in 2010 Nationals.

SkateBlades17
06-17-2012, 10:30 PM
What have you heard about her other than the stuff mentioned here in this thread?

I've heard various things mentioned on tv documentaries and things of her having a difficult personality and acting like a diva.

On a ESPN special called Road to Glory or something like that, there was a mention of her being angry and ripping up a score card or something because she didn't think she was scored ahead enough. I don't remeber the exact words they used to describe this.

On the 1994 Olympic coverage, after the Olympics aired (maybe on late night, I'm not sure) there was a fluff/documentary piece done on Sonja Henie where they spoke of her being quite difficult and having a strong personality or something like that. I have it recorded, but haven't watched it for a while (Sonja Henie didn't really interest me too much at the time). They interviewed a man who knew her and said some things about her personality and of her being a diva. If I have time, I'll watch it again and describe it with a better memory of it.*

DickButtonFan
06-17-2012, 10:47 PM
I read some books on Henie that stated she was addicted to men and when her mother died, the first words that came out of Sonya's mouth, was "take off her rings". Then there's the whole Hitler thing. She was also addicted to fur.

SkateBlades17
06-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I read some books on Henie that stated she was addicted to men and when her mother died, the first words that came out of Sonya's mouth, was "take off her rings". Then there's the whole Hitler thing. She was also addicted to fur.

Yes, exactly along the lines of what I was referring to. And yes, I heard she was with LOTS of men.

Nomad
06-17-2012, 11:10 PM
I voted for Henie, too. In addition to the bio her brother wrote, I've read dozens of books on Old Hollywood and almost nobody had anything positive to say about her.

SkateBlades17
06-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Unless you're talking about diva in a good way, I don't think Navka is one. She always seems very nice and gracious and I've never heard anything Diva-like about her. Unless you just mean the headband and lots of make-up, which I loved by the way.

Macassar88
06-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Unless you're talking about diva in a good way, I don't think Navka is one. She always seems very nice and gracious and I've never heard anything Diva-like about her. Unless you just mean the headband and lots of make-up, which I loved by the way.

Agree with this
She was a diva in a positive way in that she was very glamorous.

skateboy
06-18-2012, 12:14 AM
I voted for Moir, but my first thought went to Skary Babs!

Shyjosie
06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Should I decide to submit a vote, I'll certainly go for Sonja Henie. I need to know if Diva is a rather positive term like "gorgeous and drawing all the attention decidedly" or a negative one like "bitch with excessive self confidence". If the latter is meant, I wouldn't submit any vote, I don't want to offend anyone, today or past, dead or alive.

I voted for Moir, but my first thought went to Skary Babs!

Barbara was certainly a queen, and gentle Maurizio let her shine. But I don't think she ever acted decidedly like a diva or something. Neither do I see her look at Maurizio as a "death stare" - this term has become legendary, but I watched it live on TV then in 2006 and watched it several times on vids from different broadcasts in order to see it from different camera angles, just to get sure about my point of view on this historical moment. I don't think she wanted to stare him down, neither does it look to me that she wanted to blame or accuse him... they both look at each other, Maurizio is saying something (has anyone ever found out what he said?), and Barbara's eyes seem to say "tell me it's not true, wake me up, pinch me..." much rather than "I kill you". I love them for their heartbreaking embrace after their free dance one day later. Not at all a "Diva".

Mafke
06-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm another one who doesn't think it was a "death stare" (and being able to interpret body language is an important part of my work).

To me she looks much more like she's freaked out, trying to process what just happened and not being able to (like her brain has jammed up and isn't processing anything). She's looking to him for some clue. It's not "how kood you!?" but "What the hell?!? What do we do now???"

I think she was kind of a diva at other times, but to me that's a good thing.

But I still maintain that the biggest diva / drama queen of all time was Toller Cranston and won't vote for anyone till he's added.

briancoogaert
06-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Babs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS9rHlGII5g#t=3m25s
Scary !