PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Cell Plan Advice Needed (BC)

kwanfan1818
06-16-2012, 07:10 AM
My three-year contract with Fido is up in the middle of July, and I'm looking for a phone-only plan where I can use my current phone (Nexus S, not locked) with no contract. I'm in BC, and I don't really need much outside the Vancouver area -- I can Skype if I need to call outside my area. I also still have a US phone number I use when traveling on a T-Mobile prepaid with a lot of minutes on it, and North American roaming isn't an issue.

So far, the plans I've found are Wind (which uses the same frequency/phones as T-Mobile), Mobilicity, Virgin Mobile, and Telus. What I've heard so far is that they are great if you don't need customer service, especially billing customer service, but that if you do, they can be a nightmare.

I had a Virgin Mobile pre-paid phone when I first moved to Canada part time, and that was fine. I don't know much about Mobilicity or Telus, but I am planning to get the 500MB Telus iPad plan for data.

Does anyone have any advice and/or experience about these or other options?

mocha-ice
06-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Have you looked into Koodo? There's no contract and you can pick and choose which plan you want along with what extras. You can chose whichever and change whenever.

I've only had to deal with their customer service (on the phone) once, and it was really great no problems. The people at the kiosks are very helpful as well I've found.

Really
06-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I thought Wind had a pretty good rep? Telus, Rogers and Bell are all in the same boat and will nail you for all kinds of costs -- the joys of having the big 3. If coverage isn't a huge issue for you, then pick one of the Big 3's low-cost alternatives (Koodo, Fido, Solo, Chatr, Virgin).

rjblue
06-16-2012, 03:07 PM
My sister went with koodo and she is a real estate agent glued to her phone and she has had massive savings and great service.

Artemis@BC
06-16-2012, 04:44 PM
You can also stay with Fido on a no-contract, pay-as-you-go scheme. I pay $10 a month (their lowest rate) and never come even close to using all my minutes -- and the leftover minutes can be banked. Mind you, I'm definitely on the very low end of the scale re: cell phone usage, but even if you use more than I do there's probably something that would fit your needs.

KikiSashaFan
06-16-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm waiting to finish out my contract with Rogers and then I'll probably switch to Koodoo. I haven't heard nearly as many bad things as I have with other providers.

kwanfan1818
06-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Those Koodoo ads creeped me out so much that I put them out if mind. I will now look at their plans.

Thanks, everyone!

(I was hoping the answer wouldn't be Telus ;))

made_in_canada
06-17-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm with Telus (mostly because they have the best coverage in my rural neck of the woods) and I've never had problems. The one time I had a billing issue it was taken care of quickly and without any real hassle. So many people hate them and I don't really get it. We have much fewer options up here though.

Really
06-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I've never had issue with Telus either, and like you, m_i_c, I go with them because they have the best coverage in rural areas.

I really don't think any of Telus, Rogers or Bell are any better or worse than the others here in Canada. The three suffer from a lack of any true competition, especially since they own five of the 'discount' carriers. It seems the biggest problems I see people having is that they don't take the time to really check out what the plans involve and make sure they have what they need to avoid getting hosed (text, data, etc).

I'll probably stick with Telus unless something really fantabulous comes along -- or they don't carry the new Blackberry 10 phones that are supposed to come out next fall.