PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Daisuke Takahashi will be coached by Nikolai Morozov again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

kwanfan1818
06-19-2012, 04:00 AM
I do think Morozov is very good at choreographies that showcase the skater's strength and hiding the weaknesses. So if he gets a skater to flail his/her arms and make long dramatic stops and NOT SKATE, he's just making a strategic decision to not allow them to use his/her blade at all rather than give them the opportunity to show just how badly they move their blades. And any skater will have a certain blade move that he/she is good at, and he makes sure to showcase only that part of their bladework. In other words, if he got Miki to flail her arms about and Lenova to make overly long dramatic stops, it was because he would rather have them do that than draw the judges' attention to their weaknesses as skaters by getting them to skate.
He certainly earns his keep.

That said, I don't know any of his skaters who don't improve their blade work under him.

azurika
06-19-2012, 05:11 AM
:D

You know it's like a Faustian pact with the devil, basically. :P

:lol: wasn't aware there was any other kind of Faustian pact. ;)

MINAM
06-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Akiko Tamura's article is great. Too bad it's not in English.

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-19-2012, 09:28 AM
:lol: That's such a devastating comment! I'm quite convinced that Morozov is not Mr. Deep, but I think I rather see Morozov as someone who is completely rational, never ever making music/choreographic choices for aesthetic reasons but every little choice is made to maximize the possibility of a win.

I do think Morozov is very good at choreographies that showcase the skater's strength and hiding the weaknesses. So if he gets a skater to flail his/her arms and make long dramatic stops and NOT SKATE, he's just making a strategic decision to not allow them to use his/her blade at all rather than give them the opportunity to show just how badly they move their blades. And any skater will have a certain blade move that he/she is good at, and he makes sure to showcase only that part of their bladework. In other words, if he got Miki to flail her arms about and Lenova to make overly long dramatic stops, it was because he would rather have them do that than draw the judges' attention to their weaknesses as skaters by getting them to skate.
That's an old cliche which doesn't hold too much water.

Morozov is not very good at showcasing the strengths and hiding the weaknesses, he's just good at removing the choreography and transitions from the programs, thus making them physically easier to skate for the skaters. For all the skaters. It's not like Miki is good in flailing her arms and Leonova is good with dramatic stops; it's just that flailing the arms and making the stops allow to distract from the lack of steps in the legs and gives the skaters the rest before the stroking to the next jump. Better results - probably, worthy choreography - definitely not.

That's also the reason why it would be tragic if Takahashi got his choreo from Morozov - Takahashi is special because of the real complex choreography and the ability to interpret it; if he got the trademark Morozov's 15 minutes steps sequences with zero content and million breaks, he'd lose about 90% of what so great about him (even if, mind you, he'd probably land his jumps more consistently).

Said that, and generally agreeing with the claim that Morozov is the mainstream mass production blue-collar with not much depth; I think that he's capable of coming up with interesting ideas and good choreo. Some of the programs, supposedly when there was a reason why he was interested in doing something better thought (Yagudin, I/K, Fernandez), were quite good or at least had some spark or ideas in it. 90% of the time, however, he doesn't seem to bother and just gives the least effort he can to earn the money. Leonova is the prime example for that - she doesn't sleep with him, she is not considered a Sochi pick, she's is said to be dumped to the bin next season - so why would he waste any ideas on her?

allezfred
06-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Akiko Tamura's article is great. Too bad it's not in English.

Is it online and do you have a link? :)

ostile17
06-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Is it online and do you have a link? :)

Here
http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/232362

allezfred
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks!

I've heard that Morosov is the one that approaches potential students before and that you can always tell if one of them refused his offer because he badmouths them subsequently. :P

Macassar88
06-19-2012, 12:27 PM
I think that Daisuke may be taking on Morozov the same way that Plushenki took on Camerlengo. Lots of goodwill from judges but maybe not as much change.

os168
06-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks!

I've heard that Morosov is the one that approaches potential students before and that you can always tell if one of them refused his offer because he badmouths them subsequently. :P

Clearly Dai learnt his mistakes. Sigh... he is taking the safest route to pursue the gold, Lori for both programs, get Morozov on board even in name only to get some political clout. What other big name can he get to ensure he get the bonus points? Frank?

I've always trust Dai's work will stand up for itself, and love his bravery to be experimental and continues to challenging himself, but not so enthusiastic about this safe approach. I hope it won't result in bland mainstream generic work probably trying to emulate the past greats like John Curry in classic form (the less is more balletic approach). Unfortunately seems necessary the way the sport is going; conservative and predictable and if he is going to overcome someone like the indomitable Patrick Chan.

However if any of them screw up, it can look quite bad on all concerned. Morozov certainly benefit from liaising with Daisuke, just as Orser with Hanyu to ensure they continue to uphold their own stock values, to have a competitor that can medal at the Olympics in 2 years.

topaz
06-19-2012, 09:39 PM
I think Nicki M did his best work when he was with Dai. I think Dai is his muse.

Nicki's programs for Dai from 2005 through 2008 were very good in my opinion, if not brilliant. The sp from 2005 through 2008 are BRILLIANT!!!!

Whenever I hear the music El Tango de Roxanne, I think of Dai's 05/06 SP.

FiveRinger
06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
When I first saw this, I almost choked. But, I remember seeing an interview of Dai's (on YouTube, it had 5 or 6 parts), where he talked about his lack of confidence and how Morozov was good for that. He needs that confidence in order to compete not only against Chan, but to have even a chance to qualify for the Japanese team. This might be a good move, especially since Morozov will be an advisor. All the best. I'm a huge Dai fan and I just want it all to work out for him.

Iceman
06-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Remembering Robin Wagner, I thought it was against the rules to approach other coach's students. Or was Robin's violation about something else?

Is it true that Morozov and his students all live in one big house? I read that recently but can't imagine it is true.

Mevrouw
06-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Here's the English version from google. I have no idea how accurate it is:

"Introducing the Takahashi team, so that adds a new coach"

And say so Yoshiko Kobayashi, deputy general manager of strengthening Japan Skating Federation was standing next to Daisuke Takahashi, I came into the room and passed between members of the press gathered, it was Nikolai Morozov.

From somewhere "ー! Lie", restrained whisper was heard.

For all participants, was the situation of "ー! Lie" exactly.

June 15, this joint press conference was held after the first day of performances will be held in Yokohama "Dream on Ice". Morozov that came to Japan only to suddenly sit here, had a hard look was unlike him without any tension.

To everyone "is. Daisuke let's talk, the soul was with regret much, that had split in the form was student of my favorites. Like that. Of I, and his honest I knew, and that remains to be done yet. "

Circumstances of separation and Nikolai Morozov.

Nikolai Morozov led the Olympic gold medal in Turin Shizuka Arakawa at the young age of just 30, with a proven track record, such as the twice world champion Miki Ando. Became coach of the doer, the existence and the name of the completely known in Japan as a choreographer.

That he was supposed to be, to eliminate the relationship between teacher and student Daisuke Takahashi has been teaching for three years, that in the spring of 2008. Announced that it was after studying under Oda Nobunari Morozov is the nation's largest rival for Takahashi, at the time.

In the world of figure skating, the skater to solicit from a coach who is usually taboo. Unconventional Morozov, known by issuing an offer from their own skaters want, in a voice of criticism was from a previous relationship who also put in but what. Oda also place, he said there was a repeat invitation from a year ago to determine the transfer.

"Their own at the time, did not have to accept the situation that looks" (Takahashi)

Takahashi was a disciple of Morozov for was a bolt from the blue.

Takahashi is the difference between humility of him, was to speak and think "that he is at the time, that did not have that caliber of just accepting of the situation."

And say, Takahashi was a wry smile look like a little trouble "The problem is, I did not know it is that even pre-Morozov."

"I still had around about, I did not in shock. He said," this "I think when people called it, would move on the spur of the moment was so I know."

Morozov at the time, did not own a non-admitted until the end. Resolve claims of teacher and student relationship, and there was a complaint may be caused by the agent of Takahashi. "When you select an agent Takahashi than yourself, Oda accepted the relationship was already off," was repeated in front of the media around the world and a description, in chronological impossibility.

<Continued on next page>

Based on that agent's I, I got a phone call from Morozov settlement of consultation at the end of last season but that. I was surprised, but Mr. I, even for Takahashi, that was totally unexpected thing.

"Greeting that you have a story (since eliminated), so there was no one more than once, but I was surprised really. Had been in the tournament until then if you meet a Nikolai"

Speaking in the sense of Japanese, I'd hard to understand how to put farewell flashy about it, and come to offer himself again, what are you exactly what nerve. If you think this way and I come to take action without regard to such common sense is there an advantage for a person named Morozov, but is also a disadvantage.

"There was also a time to success was also was certainly feel the wrath to Daisuke. Of him, felt a jealousy"

Morozov had boasted so to speak before the press conference room is in Japanese, then broke up "without his Daisuke can not go anywhere" and. Then, Takahashi won the bronze medal at the Olympics in Vancouver in 2010, has but to hand the world title.

Growth has evolved from about two years ago, came to see while enjoying his acting purely. He though was a great skaters originally, and now the skaters remain in people's memories even. "I also If you do not go to, can not compete with him. "

I heard the words from Morozov honest and humble about this is that after a long time. To so much, he wanted to regain Takahashi.

Morozov has pitched in the true meaning of this timing?

Also would have been as a coach, was in love from the bottom of my heart to skater Daisuke Takahashi of course. If the strict view, to have pitched to Takahashi at this timing is now Morozov is also speculation that there was no doubt but personal.

In the world of figure skating, "people" When we go next and Utsurikawa~tsu. I was told, and players want to win, go to the Morozov became another story of a decade ago.

Olympics in Vancouver, his students did not get a medal even a human. Among the players he has to have now, a candidate Sochi Olympic gold medalist and has not even a human. Oda competition activities in the future that's still a clean slate away from the source of the Morozov Miki Ando in two years, had been studied with him for many years.

Morozov has come back to coach for Olympic gold medalist again, would absolutely wanted Takahashi.

"Why did you need him or towards you? Why did you are in need of him?"

When asked in an interview so, Morozov was rigidly face only for a moment, then replied immediately Hagan.

"I want to think he also, and they need me"

Takahashi also, and they agree to it.

That. Nikolai After finishing the "season, I thought slowly, coach, feeling respected as a choreographer was a long time. Time every year, to determine the choreographer of the program, the name is not up to the candidate always in fact It was also to ask. from here and there might be is not I thought "

Ambient have been avoided even give the name of the Morozov in front of him to care about Takahashi, in that he himself was not less so.

"I think it was that Russia is that for the Olympics. Sochi quite special environment, rather than challenge only Asian team, get to participate in the Russian people and will help in many ways"

I thought that at the same time, the training environment we have built a stable and coach all the way to it - long Utako, and spices will give us a push after Morozov also if.

Through the growth of the past few years coach. Good really he was originally, that it give up the motivation of players ", whether to meet the expectations of each of each other, do not know if I should try. Game new with him , There is also a feeling that "

Takahashi declared that the relationship between time, and, in a manner that is not dependent on him but, as before. Served as head coach as a coach - long past, to get Morozov that come in an advisory position only.

Only concern, the evaluation of the recent Judge for Morozov.

For the common goal of aiming for Olympic gold each other, Takahashi and Morozov decided to reunite.

Was left but only one concern. It is the evaluation of our recent ISU judge for Morozov.

Morozov momentum but was dropped once the birds fly, his program to make this place does not have growth point. It has been said that because it lacks (in bridge between technology and technique of) scoring system is now important "transition".

On the other hand, it is said that those that come out right during the "transition" is not this is the American choreographer living in Canada named Nicole Laurie. Vancouver Olympic gold leads to Evan Lysacek, reigning world champion Patrick Chan, with Carolina Kostner, players were Nicole has been teaching the choreography by hand for many years. Ability but who has been called star choreographer from the 1990s already, she has a long era of breath, yet not likely to end for the time being.

Takahashi had a request this summer, get off the work with this Nicole actually the first time in Raleigh. Nicole and production of programs that had returned to the drawing board but situation has changed.

Takahashi and what will those said to be a genius performer, Nicole of genuine collaboration what kind of skating officials around the world was supposed to was looking forward to.

And Takahashi, "The situation has changed a variety of environments and was looking forward to it, you can do together. Demo". At the moment, it is uncertain whether to ask the program to anyone.

When asked and answered, to ask what Morozov, immediately "I hate, it is probably not this season." Now is the time of mid-June, has already created a program if player finished early.

Takahashi is a new road of their choice, whether and how to evolve the next season. Why reflect on how the influence of grading Morozov. I want to watch firm.

homura
06-20-2012, 02:12 AM
I found this. (English translation of the interview with Takahashi and Morozov)
http://yoko71.tumblr.com/post/25322530792/a-quick-translation-of-aikos-japan-skate

Ozzisk8tr
06-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Remembering Robin Wagner, I thought it was against the rules to approach other coach's students. Or was Robin's violation about something else?

Is it true that Morozov and his students all live in one big house? I read that recently but can't imagine it is true.

:eek: You mean like Charles Manson and his "family"?