PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Daisuke Takahashi will be coached by Nikolai Morozov again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11

Japanfan
06-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Morozov has stated that he did his best work with Takahashi and I agree with that. So working with him again might be a good idea and a strategic move. Taka is only using him part-time though, which will give him some independence.

Japanfan
06-18-2012, 08:43 AM
And what's up with Miki? I remember the days when she couldn't even accept a Kleenex from morosov in the k&c without 5 20 page long posts appearing about it, dissecting every detail of the exchange and what it really meant. Now all of a sudden they ay have split and nobody even knows anything about it? Say whaaaat????

It takes some time to recover from Morozov. Guys like that do a number on a girl's head, especially given the coach-student power dynamic.

Shae Lynne Bourne-Turok would know. It took her quite some time to be free of Morozov, who IIRC had left a pregnant wife for her, and move on to a better, healthier relationship. Perhaps she can offer counsel to his more recent victims.

Ziggy
06-18-2012, 11:22 AM
I looked at the protocols for that particular program and I have to respectfully disagree with you. Judges feel the same way. Second best lower marks (which includes transitions and choreography), first place after short program, second overall. Far cry from your evaluation.

Yes, PCS judging is totally shit, I know. :P

Here is a handy breakdown of Leonova's SP in list form:

1) pirate posing
2) skates to the end of the rink to plant 3toe/3toe
3) skates to the other end of the ice rink to plant 3flip
4) does some progressives and plants 2axel (also at the same end of the rink)
5) does a few turns into a spin (also at the same end of the rink, that is 3 elements in pretty much the same place)
6) does the straight line step sequence that takes ages and keeps starting and stopping and has no flow as a result
7) skates to the middle of the ice rink
8) does two spins in the middle of the ice rink

That is good choreography?

All the elements are clumped in three spots: one end of the ice rink, other end of the ice rink, middle of the ice rink.

There's hardly any ice coverage as she is just moving between those three spots (and 1/3 of the program is taken by starting and stopping and starting and stopping and posing again during the straight line steps).

That straight line step sequence makes me wanna have the ISU impose a time limit on step sequences. :wall:

allezfred
06-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Leonova's SP is a classic case of OTT facial expressions and gestures masking the fact that there is very little substance, but she does sell the bejaysus out of it.

Ziggy
06-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Oh yes, whilst the program is crap, Leonova was selling it extremely well.

Her performance skills are second to none. :cheer:

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Leonova's short program was probably the worst choreographed program I have ever seen in Senior elite level skating.

All elements clumped in 3 places. Hardly any transitions. Poor ice coverage. And a straight line sequence that took like 1/3 of the program time and kept stopping. :wall:

The Pirates program was atrocious, but I have to disagree with you.
The worst choreographed program in senior elite level skating was obviously her LP.

pinky166
06-18-2012, 08:45 PM
The worst choreographed program in senior elite level skating was obviously her LP.

Agree. Leonova's LP last season did not suit her at all, it was like Morozov took a program he had pre-made especially for Miki and had Alena skate to it instead and the result was not good. The program itself was bad but had Miki skated to it it would have likely been at least a little better, it just wasn't Alena at all.

kwanfan1818
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Happily, it was just a recycled program he offered her. (Or that she accepted.)

IceAlisa
06-18-2012, 10:52 PM
I felt lunch churn in my stomach.

It's OK. You are both right.

Japanfan
06-19-2012, 12:31 AM

I loved the program and thought it suited her perfectly. And that she skated it with flair and panache. It's about a lady thought it was okay to venture outside the norm and skate a program in trousers (trousers, not a cat suit).

VarBar
06-19-2012, 01:21 AM

Agreed. Morozov actually strikes me as a person who has little intellectual depth, one can see that in his music choices as well as his program concepts IMO. He is more and more just Mr. Mass Production as far as I'm concerned.

magnolia
06-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Agreed. Morozov actually strikes me as a person who has little intellectual depth.

:lol: That's such a devastating comment! I'm quite convinced that Morozov is not Mr. Deep, but I think I rather see Morozov as someone who is completely rational, never ever making music/choreographic choices for aesthetic reasons but every little choice is made to maximize the possibility of a win.

I do think Morozov is very good at choreographies that showcase the skater's strength and hiding the weaknesses. So if he gets a skater to flail his/her arms and make long dramatic stops and NOT SKATE, he's just making a strategic decision to not allow them to use his/her blade at all rather than give them the opportunity to show just how badly they move their blades. And any skater will have a certain blade move that he/she is good at, and he makes sure to showcase only that part of their bladework. In other words, if he got Miki to flail her arms about and Lenova to make overly long dramatic stops, it was because he would rather have them do that than draw the judges' attention to their weaknesses as skaters by getting them to skate.

jl22aries
06-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Agreed. Morozov actually strikes me as a person who has little intellectual depth, one can see that in his music choices as well as his program concepts IMO. He is more and more just Mr. Mass Production as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe it's all a matter of aesthetics. He's from a completely different school of aesthetics than many of the other "name" choreographers. Same goes with his choices of music. He's Russian old school in so many of his artistic choices. It's a different sensibility, a different history.

Ziggy
06-19-2012, 02:52 AM

:D

Stroking into jumps for 4 minutes, np.

:lol: That's such a devastating comment! I'm quite convinced that Morozov is not Mr. Deep, but I think I rather see Morozov as someone who is completely rational, never ever making music/choreographic choices for aesthetic reasons but every little choice is made to maximize the possibility of a win.

I do think Morozov is very good at choreographies that showcase the skater's strength and hiding the weaknesses. So if he gets a skater to flail his/her arms and make long dramatic stops and NOT SKATE, he's just making a strategic decision to not allow them to use his/her blade at all rather than give them the opportunity to show just how badly they move their blades. And any skater will have a certain blade move that he/she is good at, and he makes sure to showcase only that part of their bladework. In other words, if he got Miki to flail her arms about and Lenova to make overly long dramatic stops, it was because he would rather have them do that than draw the judges' attention to their weaknesses as skaters by getting them to skate.

That is all true.

Which is why part of me is happy he is working with Takahashi.

If he can make him more consistent, draw out his strengths, make him land his jumps... You know it's like a Faustian pact with the devil, basically. :P

shine
06-19-2012, 02:57 AM

:respec: Truer words could not have been said!