PDA

View Full Version : Does your city have good back-up plans when things go wrong?

Pages : 1 [2]

genevieve
06-15-2012, 09:36 PM
My personal Seattle area disaster plan: Don't live in Tacoma.
That's just a good guideline, regardless of potential volcano activity :saint:

But you might also want to avoid Cap Hill and downtown - we learned in the 2001 Nisqually quake that in the event of a REALLY big quake, Cap Hill will liquefy and slide right on down to the water :shuffle:

immoimeme
06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Does your city have good back-up plans when things go wrong?

NO.

Figuring out on yr own what to do when disaster strikes is all a part of our pioneering, "can-do" spirit! :)

I guess :P

Aceon6
06-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Speaking for Boston here. For all the complaints about the MBTA, they have a pretty good emergency plan and don't hesitate to use it. If the underground is tied up for any reason, they bring in buses and move folks around the blockage. If the streets are too icy for buses, they run the main routes and communicate like hell so that people can walk to the main drag. The only downer is the commuter rail. It's either running or its not. Fortunately, most commuter rail lines have the option of bus backup.

But Boston is physically small, unlike most other major cities. It's a long walk from the Financial District to Allston, but it can be done.

Cachoo
06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
I think our city/county emergency management respond well to tornadoes because they have experience with them and we have not had one so large that it swallows half the town.

I think what I would like to know is how emer man. would have responded if the tornado had hit the flight line (one came very close) at the air force base. Some of the aircraft have nukes and though it would not have caused an explosion there could be some sort release that would trigger an evacuation of much of the city. I would like to know how they would manage that sort of mass exit.