PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical alternative structures and qualifying processes for Worlds

Pages : 1 [2]

b-man
06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I would like some formula based on direct entries from seasons best scores. I don't like direct entries based on previous world's results alone, or on world rankings which are based too much on senior B's. I would like either everyone with a top 25 SB guaranteed an entry, or the country limit raised from 3 to 5 for those with a top 25 SB. More details would need to be worked out, but either formula would result in a much more interesting Worlds. This would not add too many additional skaters and I would like the total entries increased to accomadate this addition.

zaphyre14
06-15-2012, 02:31 PM
How about considering actual technical content rather than a minimum score, eg the skater must have a ratified 2A from an IJS event with a formal technical panel to be entered into the short programme?

This is sort of what I was thinking of: a demonstration of minimum world-level skill. It wouldn't take a lot of study to review the protocols from the last couple championships and see what the median level of diffiuclty was. And then require that skaters entering the World Championships have demonstrated that level somewhere, either through competition or testing. They could even submit a video of the skater performing the required elements.

I'd just like to see there be SOME standard of skating skill, not just being the "best" in your country.

essence_of_soy
06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Setting a minimum short program content standard (meaning meeting the minimum jump elements required, 2 different triples and a double axel that skaters have actually landed and had ratified in qualifying national or international competitions prior to the event) would be a great start.

Make a world championships feel special like a world championships.

Otherwise, you're going to see tremendous drop - off in skills after 24th place.

I have been in intense discussion with several posters in the National Testing Requirements around the World thread regarding sending skaters to international events that don't meet the above jump requirements.

My argument is that they are only going to be set up for disappointment instead of serious competition unless these skaters are event ready. Their argument is that everyone is entitled to have a go and it isn't about winning medals, but satisfying their own goals.

I remember attending Worlds in 2006 and in the qualifying rounds especially, the last two ranked groups of ladies could barely land anything above a shaky double flip.

In future, if it is about everyone having a go, perhaps Europeans and Four Continents should be treated ultimately as the qualifying rounds (where all nations are still participating and gaining experience), and Worlds can be like a Grand Slam final.

margiemo
06-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Skaters have to start somewhere for exposure.Look how far the Chinese have come in pairs.I believe the teams late 70's early 80's looked at videos and the rulebook.The smaller federations get little exposure to big competitions.

kwanfan1818
06-15-2012, 09:41 PM
The first generation Chinese Pairs coaches watched Soviet Pairs videos for instruction, which is why I've always been amazed that they seem to have missed the posture, control, and unison of those pairs. The men, for example, were trained to have that outrageous kick when they throw their partners, and they didn't pick that up from Soviet Pairs teams.

alilou
06-16-2012, 01:25 AM
No, but it sure allowed them to throw that girl a loooong way :D

Skaters can start in junior comps, and senior B's, and 4CC and Euros to get exposure. Then if they have the money, the support, the drive and the talent they'll make it to senior worlds. Like Yuna. They don't need to start out at senior worlds. There's lots of other places to get competition experience. If they're not good enough, or are but don't have the means, or whatever, to get to be good enough to compete at senior worlds so be it. Many a skater has fallen along the wayside due to lack of talent or lack of funding or lack of the right kind of personality but they shouldn't be competing at the highest level and most important competition of the season just because. They should be good enough skaters to deserve to be there.

I like the idea of proof of being able to meet SP tech criteria minimum standard - 2 triples and 2A.

Also like the idea of using SB scores to determine who will compete. I want to see a competition of the best skaters, even if none of them are from Canada, and seven are from Russia, and 6 from Japan.

sk8erluv88
06-16-2012, 01:36 AM
that makes sense but at the same time...sometimes skaters from smaller countries aren't even exposed to what a higher level of skating is. going to a competition like worlds is an eye opener and allows them a chance to see what else is going on in the sport outside of their country. no, you do not get this same exposure at a four continents or europeans because they are just that, they're restricted to either competitors from the four continents or european nations, it's not the same as the world scene.

gingercat
06-16-2012, 01:56 AM
that makes sense but at the same time...sometimes skaters from smaller countries aren't even exposed to what a higher level of skating is. going to a competition like worlds is an eye opener and allows them a chance to see what else is going on in the sport outside of their country. no, you do not get this same exposure at a four continents or europeans because they are just that, they're restricted to either competitors from the four continents or european nations, it's not the same as the world scene.

Excuses don't cut it. Skaters watch Youtube ALL the time to learn. If they are trying to do Senior and do not have an idea of what a Senior program should be like that is VERY sad. There is so much video and information for them to learn from. You can Google anything - try it! Google Triple Flip, Triple Toe... You too can watch and learn. You can watch programs from any time period. If you are really trying to be a Senior skater there is TONS of info to see and understand right on your computer.

alilou
06-16-2012, 02:10 AM
And following on from what gongercat said, 4CC and Euros is plenty enough exposure until you can prove you're a good enough skater to make it to the top competition.

I've just been watching ladies SP's from worlds, and although I thoroughly enjoyed Clara Peters (what a sweetie!), and really thought Min-Jeung Kwak was robbed (beautiful skate - yeah, I know, too many UR's), I would happily give this up to see the really best skaters in the world go head to head.