PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Alli (Orlistat) and other weight loss pills

Gazpacho
06-14-2012, 07:23 AM
I was surprised to discover that there is an over-the-counter weight loss pill called Alli that's FDA-approved. I imagine the over-the-counter dose is pretty small; a higher dose is prescription-only. Still, I'm thinking about trying it.

Does anyone have experience with it?

What about other over-the-counter pills like conjugated linoleic acid, pyruvate, and glucomannan?

judiz
06-14-2012, 08:07 AM
the only thing I have heard about Alli is that a lot of people get really bad diarrhea from it.

Jemestone
06-14-2012, 08:09 AM
I was surprised to discover that there is an over-the-counter weight loss pill called Alli that's FDA-approved. I imagine the over-the-counter dose is pretty small; a higher dose is prescription-only. Still, I'm thinking about trying it.

Does anyone have experience with it?

What about other over-the-counter pills like conjugated linoleic acid, pyruvate, and glucomannan?

Only thing I remember learning about Olistat is to expect a lot of gas and fatty stools. Yeah and it may work.

Here is an amazon.com link if you need reviews:

Olistat (http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Orlistat-Capsules-90-Count-Starter/dp/B000OWN65U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339657099&sr=8-1)

Anita18
06-14-2012, 09:19 AM
the only thing I have heard about Alli is that a lot of people get really bad diarrhea from it.
Yeah, you lose weight because it prevents your small intestines from taking up the fat that you eat. So it continues down the pipeline instead...

Skittl1321
06-14-2012, 01:30 PM
I took Alli for 3 months. I had no bad side effects (though I could see the little orange grease/fat floating in the toilet at times) because I didn't eat above the amount of fattening food it allows. Basically- the fear of explosive diarrhea at an inopportune time scared me away from eating crap food.

However, I also didn't lose any weight. My diet isn't really unhealthy, so the things I was portion controlling I don't eat much of anyway.

But if you are a big fan of fatty foods, it is a good way to cut them from your diet.

pilgrimsoul
06-14-2012, 06:36 PM
I have taken CLA in the past and found it very effective in helping me to get leaner while on an exercise program. If you decide to start taking it, I would also recommend keeping some healthy, low cal snacks on hand because the metabolism boost is noticeable & really makes you hungry between meals.

Gazpacho
06-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I took Alli for 3 months. I had no bad side effects (though I could see the little orange grease/fat floating in the toilet at times) because I didn't eat above the amount of fattening food it allows. Basically- the fear of explosive diarrhea at an inopportune time scared me away from eating crap food.

However, I also didn't lose any weight. My diet isn't really unhealthy, so the things I was portion controlling I don't eat much of anyway.

But if you are a big fan of fatty foods, it is a good way to cut them from your diet.How long does it take for possible side effects to occur? Is it the next morning, a few hours later, or practically immediately?

Skittl1321
06-14-2012, 09:15 PM
How long does it take for possible side effects to occur? Is it the next morning, a few hours later, or practically immediately?

I don't really know, because it never happened. But if you eat a really fatty food, probably within a few hours- after it gets past the stomach- as digestion occurs. The problem is that the bowel can't hold in the grease (that the medicine prevented you from absorbing) so, pardon the language, you pretty much fart it out.

UMBS Go Blue
06-15-2012, 12:03 AM
A little of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na9ZZ4ZjVa8) might be helpful too.

Japanfan
06-15-2012, 12:11 AM
A little of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na9ZZ4ZjVa8) might be helpful too.

Indeed. You don't even need to dance - Richard Simmons himself is enough to put one off one's food.