PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Watching 'Dallas' on TNT?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

duane
06-14-2012, 02:35 AM
This is one of my all-time favorite shows (up to a certain period), so I'm trying to give it a go. But so far...well, lets just say I hope it gets better.

Sassafras
06-14-2012, 03:47 AM
JR's eyebrows are scary

Rex
06-14-2012, 02:27 PM
No. Nothing can match the OTT fabulousness of the original cast.
I will say, however, that Miss Linda Gray is looking divine at 71!!

professordeb
06-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I watched about the last 15 minutes of it. I agree about JR's eyebrows. Surely "the great and powerful JR" wouldn't have let his eyebrows look so sorrowful ;-)
Miss Linda at 71 -- ohhh that I would look so good at 60. She is divine!

ks1227
06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
How many of the original cast members made an appearance on the first show?

skatesindreams
06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I'll watch for a few weeks and see what happens.
The writers are setting this up very much like the original series; with everyone blackmailing everyone else, for their own purposes.

Whether the acting/story will make you care, is another matter.

I watched the original series - and enjoyed it - until Bobby's death was unwisely made into "a bad dream".

When a soap opera "betrays its' own reality" - as the writers did when they brought Bobby "back from the dead" - it loses credibility with the audience.
What makes these stories effective is that the viewer "believes" in the world created by the writers; and enters into it -accepting whatever premise is created, if it is done well.

The original series "mocked" the reality they worked so hard to make.
They lost me because of it.

zaphyre14
06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I gave up about halfway through. After seeing an interview with Larry Hagman about how"excited" he was to still be working at 80, seeing his character virtually comatose was too depressing. Seems like they introduced too many plot threads at one: Bobby dying and selling the ranch, Christopher secretly discovering oil (and how secret could a drilling operation be?), JR's state, and John Ross' wedding and the old girlfriend.... It was all too much for me to absorb - and that was only the first half-hour!

I'll probably tune in next week if only because there's not a lot else to watch on Wednesdays, but I'm thinking that this incarnation is not going to come close to the orignial in popularity.

skatesindreams
06-14-2012, 04:00 PM
No worries, JR's "comatose" state didn't last.
He's in the middle of "everything".

duane
06-14-2012, 04:55 PM
How many of the original cast members made an appearance on the first show?
Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Charlene Tilton, and Steve Kanaly. Hagman looks scary, Gray looks amazing, Duffy looks ok but older than 63, Tilton looks like a neighborhood drunk, and Kanaly looks bloated.

I SO hope that Victoria Principal and Ken Kercheval make an appearance sometime in the future, and I wonder if they plan to include Sasha Mitchell (JR's illegitimate son) into the new story.

Jenny
06-14-2012, 05:08 PM
I SO hope that Victoria Principal and Ken Kercheval make an appearance sometime in the future, and I wonder if they plan to include Sasha Mitchell (JR's illegitimate son) into the new story.

I wondered about Victoria too - but she hasn't acted in more than 10 years, and seems to be focusing on philanthropic projects instead, along with her very successful businesses.

Interesting line in her Wiki profile:

When Principal signed her Dallas contract, she omitted the clause that would have given the network the right to consent and profit from her outside endeavors. She explained, "As a result that's why, you can only notice in hindsight, I was the only person in the cast who did commercials, who was doing movies of the week, who wrote books and these all belong to me. I retained the control and ownership of my image. No one owns me."

skatesindreams
06-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Ms. Principal always was - and is - much more than a "pretty face".

smurfy
06-14-2012, 05:46 PM
No worries, JR's "comatose" state didn't last.
He's in the middle of "everything".

Thank goodness. I felt the show really picked up when he showed up at the Ball and was the JR we know and love to hate. I do believe he was never nominated for an emmy, and I don't know why. His JR is such a hoot.
Linda G does look great and so does Patrick. Charlene has not aged well.
I read that Ken K will be making an appearance. I really enjoyed JR and Sue Ellen's scene. JR did truly love Sue Ellen, and looks like he still does.

I watched with very low expectations, and plan to watch again. Not as bad as I thought. Will have to see if it gets better. I do like that John Ross is not all bad and Christopher is not all good. Who sent the email? Was it Rebecca & Tommy in their plan?? And sadly the situation with JR will make it plausible for his character to possibly die soon, based on Hagman's own health.

I have an idea as to who Rebecca is, and hope it is so (there is someone from the original show, shown briefly, with that middle name, and that name is can not be an accident). Great potential there, or another idea I saw posted on TWOP was intriguing also.

I read on TWOP the 'history' has been revised, basically ignoring the last few seasons. If the show lasts they do have so many folks that can show up to make trouble - James and his son. Maybe Michelle was pregnant when she left? Callie's son -was it JRs or ? Bobby's son Lucas that was raised by Ray.

skatesindreams
06-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Here's a website for the old series - covers the new show, too:
http://www.ultimatedallas.com/

TNT - Dallas
http://www.tntdrama.com/series/dallas/

Lots of info...

AliasJohnDoe
06-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Premiere ratings for "Dallas":
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/06/14/tnts-dallas-rides-tall-with-6-9-million-viewers-ranking-as-the-yearss-number-1-scripted-cable-premiere/138150/

Last night's eagerly anticipated premiere of TNT's Dallas struck it rich with 6,863,000 viewers, to rank as the #1 scripted series premiere on all of cable for the year-to-date. This marks the third consecutive summer TNT has scored a chart-topping series launch, following Rizzoli & Isles in 2010 and Falling Skies in 2011.

Competitively, TNT was #1 for the night among basic cable networks, with a 3.7 metered-market household rating. Dallas also outperformed all broadcast network programs head-to-head from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. On the demo front, Dallas drew 1,926,000 adults 18-49 and 2,482,000 adults 25-54.

Vash01
06-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Charlene Tilton, and Steve Kanaly. Hagman looks scary, Gray looks amazing, Duffy looks ok but older than 63, Tilton looks like a neighborhood drunk, and Kanaly looks bloated.

I made it a point of watching the first of this new generation of Dallas last night, and did. 'Dallas' was one of my all time favorite show, until -1)they killed Bobby, 2)Victoria left the show. After that, I watched the episodes but never enjoyed them much.

I was thrilled to just hear the opening music of 'Dallas'. So far I don't have an opinion; will have to watch a few more episodes. John Ross seems to be the new JR; Christopher the new Bobby. Of all the characters from the old series, I miss Victoria the most. She and Bobby made such a great pairing on the screen!

I am not sure who this Ann character (Bobby's wife) in this series is. Did I miss part of the old series when he married her? I remember him marrying April Stevens, whom I did not care for. Wasn't Pam Ewing supposed to be dying soon, the last time she appeared (Victoria look alike, actually, not Victoria herself) in the series? So I don't expect to see her.

In the new series, I thought the actress who plays Elena looks too old to be the girl friend of either John Ross or Christopher who look much younger than her. I can't believe how old the original cast looks. Duffy looks OK. JR looks too old, but hasn't lost his (evil) touch. Linda Gray looks OK, considering she is 71 (I never knew she was that old!).

It could turn out to be a good series, but without the original characters, I doubt that I would have watched the first episode. I am wondering how long the original cast is going to be around? Bobby has cancer and he is dying in this story.