PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Watching 'Dallas' on TNT?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

skatesindreams
06-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Glad to hear this!

PeterG
06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
With a return of Pam, I want her and Bobby back together!! I want her to return as a main character (who had fled because she was insecure of her looks after the crash). She attends some kind of ceremony in Christopher's honor, she and Bobby see each other, and it's the beginning of the end of the Ann character. I love the idea of Christopher having half-siblings and the drama they would bring. Cliff would be very close to them because they are his blood and they aren't Ewings!

Do we need to start a campaign to get Victoria Principal back on TV? There aren't any more pressing issues happening on the planet, right? :D :P

my little pony
06-30-2012, 09:09 PM
the last time i saw a pic of Victoria, she looked like she had had some rather unfortunate looking plastic surgery. i dont think she wants to be on camera.

smurfy
06-30-2012, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=duane;3608254
The one character that started out strong but whimpered out is Lucy. She began as the tough teenaged, self-centered, sex pot, brat. She had the sex appeal of the young Lana Turner. But then they made her character nice, caring, and boring. And, Charlene Tilton gained weight. Not much, but at 4'11" and being in a show that had the most gorgeous, shapely women in the world (from Linda Gray and Victoria Principal, to the hundreds of actresses who played JR's mistress), Lucy was not only boring but dowdy.

QUOTE]

I totally agree. Lucy started out so entertaining, then they didn't know what to do with her. Pam is another character that I liked in the beginning and then when couldn't have a baby, she got weak and I was just whatever.
I remember reading ages ago that Linda Gray was basically hired for her looks and they gave her more to do when they realized she could act too.

So glad it got renewed. I think this show has the potential to get better and better, so much history to mine.

duane
07-01-2012, 12:10 AM
I remember reading ages ago that Linda Gray was basically hired for her looks and they gave her more to do when they realized she could act too.
Initially, during the opening credits showing the list of actors, she wasn't among them. Only Barbara Bel Geddes, Jim Davis, Patrick Duffy, Larry Hagman, Victoria Principal, and Charlene Tilton were shown. Sue Ellen was a bit character, to be shown every now and then as JR's sultry, suffering wife. The episode that supposedly changed this idea was the one where the two guys show up at Southfork, looking for revenge because Ray and JR slept with their women. Gray's performance (she's forced to sing "People" while wearing her Miss Dallas bathing suit) made the creators realize what they had in Gray.

Speaking of Jim Davis, he was so ruggedly handsome (and had THE best hair).

skatesindreams
07-01-2012, 12:30 AM
the last time i saw a pic of Victoria, she looked like she had had some rather unfortunate looking plastic surgery. i dont think she wants to be on camera.

When I watch the infomercial for "Principal Secret", I think she looks fine.
She is, after all, 62 years old; not 26.

Supposedly, both Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy have approached her about appearing on the show; but, she is not interested because of the success of her business.

skatesindreams
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Continued good news about ratings:

Last Wednesday's new episode of Dallas brought in a holiday crowd of 3.4 million viewers in Live + Same Day to rank as the day's #1 show on all of cable. The episode also scored 1.3 million adults 18-49 and 1.5 million adults 25-54. Last week's episode of Dallas has since grown to 4.6 million viewers in Live + 3, with 1.8 million adults 18-49 and 2.1 million adults 25-54.

duane
07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Great news and I hope it continues.

These past weekends, with it being SO hot, I was holed up in my air-conditioned apartment watching Wimbledon and my Dallas DVDs from Seasons 1 to 3! ;)

I didn't like last week's episode, probably because the focus was on the new cast. I still dislike the actors playing John Ross and Christopher, and don't find either as eye candy. The wooden actor playing Christopher looks like a young John Wayne Bobbitt. The one playing John Ross is too frail looking (and frail acting!). He looks like one who would run scurrying if someone yelled "BOO!"

duane
07-17-2012, 04:38 AM
Was going thru some boxes and packed away was a 2005 book by Barbara Curran called Dallas, The Complete Story of the World's Favorite Prime-Time Soap. Some interesting tidbits:

Initially, Pamela Barnes was the central character, and was to be played by Linda Evans!! But it was then decided that the show would have an ensemble piece, and Evans was never offered the part (thank goodness).

Barbara Bel Geddes accepted the part of Miss Ellie because she was "flat broke" after caring for her terminally ill husband for 6 years.

Jim Davis got the part of Jock because he was considered an "inexpensive John Wayne".

Larry Hagman won the role of JR over Robert Foxworth (who went on to star in Falcon Crest.

The producers initially wanted Stephanie Kramer as Lucy.

When the first read-through took place with all the newly cast members, Steve Kanaly "saw a young girl who looked no older than 14 and quickly realized that he would have to play scenes in the hayloft with her. He thought, "Wait until my mother sees this.""

Charlene Tilton recalled "several seasons later, we found out that Ray Krebbs is actually Jock Ewing's son. So oops! We can't show my love scenes in syndication because it gets a little incestuous there!"

JR's many mistresses consist of Julie Grey, Wanda Frick, Garnet McGee, Kristin Shepard, Serena Wald, Leslie Stewart, Louella, Afton Cooper, Marilee Stone, Holly Harwood, Katherine Wentworth, Mandy Winger, April Stevens, Kimberly Cryder, Laurel Ellis, Cally Harper, Diana Farrington, and Sly Lovegren. Hagman's favorite mistress was Holly Harwood, played by Lois Chiles (who Hagman says had a "great body!"). There was one (name not given) who Hagman "hated" doing love scenes with: "Have you ever kissed a woman who smokes Churchill cigars?!" (Hagman was a nonsmoker)

With Sue Ellen, the casting director says that "All we wanted was kind of a walk-on actress who could look as if she once had been a Miss Texas in the Miss America contest." Gray's acting changed that.

The last of the 5-show pilot was "Barbeque". Pam finds out she's pregnant in this episode. Funny, but the idea was to kill Bobby off at the end of the show! Writer David Jacobs recalls that "When I originally created the story, Pam was the protagonist and JR was the antagonist...I wanted to kill Bobby off at the end of the pilot and leave Pam to fight JR." But the producers realized that with bad boy JR, they needed a sympathetic hero. And, they thought "Why would Pam stay in the Ewing home (after Bobby's death)? She would take her 200 million and leave!" :lol:

skatesindreams
07-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the "tidbits".
It's always interesting to compare what ends up "on air" with what the show's "book"/concept intended!

duane
07-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Here's another interesting tidbit...

The 2nd season was to end with the episode where Digger dies, confessing on his death bed that he killed Hutch McKinney and Hutch is Pam's real father. But the show had grown so much in popularity that they decided to add two shows and have more of a cliffhanger. The initial cliffhanger had Sue Ellen (drinking again and depressed over Dusty's supposed death) deciding to kill herself. She mixes barbiturates in a glass of water and goes into the nursery to say goodbye to John Ross. When she returns to the bedroom, she finds JR has returned home and is drinking the water. She says nothing.

The producers nixed the idea (surely JR doesn't die, so what's the real cliffhanger?), and decided to "shoot the bastard"--with many likely shooters. The rest is history.

I still remember watching this episode in the dorm's packed tv lounge during my freshman year in college. I thought it was the best hour of television in my life! I loved the scene when the sheriff threatens to arrest Kristin for prostitution!

Bookies in Las Vegas took odds on the identity of "Who Shot J.R.?" with these results: Dusty 2-to-1; Sue Ellen 3-to-1; Kristin 4-to-1; Cliff and Alan Beam 7-to-1; Bobbby, Pam, and Miss Ellie 12-to-1; and Jock 14-to-1. A national poll taken had: Dusty 21%, Kristin 14%, Vaughan Leland (my choice) 13%, Sue Ellen 8%, Miss Ellie 7% (???), Lucy and Alan (5%), Cliff (4%), Dr Elby and Jock (3%), Bobby and even JR (2%)!

Oreo
08-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Did anybody watch the season finale last night? I never would have guessed the twist with the identity of Rebecca!

On the Dallas fanzine site (http://dallasfanzine.com/), there's a lengthy radio interview with Victoria Principal, where she sort of dances around the question of coming back. She doesn't say yes, but she doesn't flat out say no either. Listening between the lines, it was more like if she had the right script and the fans demanded it, then she just might.

my little pony
08-09-2012, 11:30 PM
but in the first show, isnt rebecca pam's mom name? i could swear that pam's middle name was rebecca. i wasnt sure which barnes had her but i knew she was a barnes

Vash01
08-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Did anybody watch the season finale last night? I never would have guessed the twist with the identity of Rebecca!

On the Dallas fanzine site (http://dallasfanzine.com/), there's a lengthy radio interview with Victoria Principal, where she sort of dances around the question of coming back. She doesn't say yes, but she doesn't flat out say no either. Listening between the lines, it was more like if she had the right script and the fans demanded it, then she just might.

Darn! I missed it. Actually I missed the entire month of July, and plain forgot last night that it was 'Dallas' night.

Sounds like there may be a glimmer of hope about Victoria returning.

smurfy
08-10-2012, 12:02 AM

I was not surpised - the name Rebecca was too obvious - it had to be somebody key. Afton had Cliff's daughter and named her Pamela Rebecca Barnes - after Pam & Cliff and Pam's mother Rebecca. She was shown near the end of the orignal run when Cliff tracked down Afton.

I really am enjoying this show. I loved the original, and JR, Bobby and Sue Ellen are great. The scenes with Duffy & Hagman are just so wonderful. JR's comment to sleeping Bobby were spot on. Josh Henderson's John Ross has really grown on me. plus I really think he looks like he could be the offspring of Linda Grey & Larry Hagman. Christopher is ok, Elena, can be ok, and Rebecca is getting more interesting.
Love seeing Cliff, but he was so cheap in the original. Seeing him as this very rich man on a private plane just does not mesh with the cheap Cliff from long ago. I know they said he made a killing on Google, but back in the original when he had money, he was still frugal - as his various girlfriends had complained.
Can't wait til January. And I really hope Larry Hagman stays healthy.