PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Watching 'Dallas' on TNT?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

duane
06-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Same here Vash. Only watching because I LOVE the old series and cast.

In regards to the original, I didn't watch the year after they killed off Bobby. I watched again when he returned, but the show really went downhill after Pam/Principal left. I HATED when they paired Bobby with April (which didn't make sense because Bobby would never date a woman who slept with JR). I hope Principal returns simply to see Bobby and Pam back together! It's too bad that the series didn't allow them to have kids.

Susan1
06-14-2012, 10:28 PM
I watched the first hour, DVR'd the second. I don't know how well I weill be able to get into the series with the younger Ewings instead of the older ones being the stars.

I wasn't obsessed with Dallas like I was with Knot's Landing, but seeing the opening scenes with the music gave me chills.

JRs eyebrows OMG Every time he's on screen, they make me need to squint. Somebody cut those things!

Patrick Duffy - does he really look this old/bad or did they make him look "sick"

Lucy - OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ray looked good.

Don't remember, what happened to Pamela?

They could bring in Val and Gary Ewing's kids, Bobby and Betsy. They'd be almost 30!!

Funny - we usually went ice skating or out on Friday nights and didn't have VCRs back then. But I knew about the who shot JR mystery. We were at the rink at a 10-midnight moonlight skate on a Friday night, and they turned on the lights and turned off the music and announced over the PA system "who shot JR" right after it aired that night.

Jenny
06-14-2012, 10:43 PM
I wasn't obsessed with Dallas like I was with Knot's Landing, but seeing the opening scenes with the music gave me chills.

Sigh, I miss Knots :(

A few years ago when I was living in the US, one of the cable soap channels started running it late at night, and then I moved back to Canada - the few eps I saw looked GREAT.

Sadly only seasons 1 and 2 are on DVD, back when it was a boring domestic soap focused on Karen and the Ewings. It got really good when things shifted to Abby, Sumner and Paige a few seasons in - those are the years I'd love to have on DVD!

Vash01
06-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Don't remember, what happened to Pamela?

Pam and Bobby are making plans to have kids while Pam is driving alone, on an isolated highway, talking on her cell phone. Suddenly a huge truck appears from out of nowhere. She crashes into it. There is a huge explosion.

Next we see Pam in the hospital, burned all over, bandaged all over, not knowing if she will live. She is moved to some kind of a facility (not sure what kind) to be looked after. She is treated by a plastic surgeon and looks almost like the Pam before the accident (played by another actress). She requests a meeting with Bobby, IIRC, and then she tells him that she is in love with the doctor who saved her life, and she was going to marry the doctor. Bobby is devastated. He walks out.

Then the doctor comes in and Pam reveals that she is about to die of some mysterious disease, and instead of telling Bobby the truth, she told him that she planned to marry the doctor. This was totally unbelievable, considering the kind of relationship Bobby and Pam had.

Anyway, that was the end of Pamela Ewing, and the end of Victoria Principal on that show.

I never liked the year without Bobby either. They killed his character, then brought him back because fans wanted him. He & Pam were happy together again, and then they killed Pam's character. The series was never the same after that.

skatesindreams
06-14-2012, 11:06 PM
The entire original series is available on DVD now; as well as individual seasons:
http://www.amazon.com/Dallas-Complete-Seasons-Larry-Hagman/dp/B004SGWYVK/ref=pd_cp_mov_2

manhn
06-15-2012, 06:29 AM
I too preferred Knots, but I liked Dallas as well. Never was particularly fond of JR (never a fan of anti-heroes), and much preferred Bobby and Pam. And OMG, I just adored Dusty...

I am really enjoying the new show. I have to say that Bobby better not die. His presence on this show is similar to what Miss Ellie brought to the original series--weight and a real honour to history. I find Larry Hagman's JR way too cartoonish.

Also, I'll forgive the fact that Lucy should have as much a right to Southfork as John Ross and Christopher, but the show has always made a point that the Ewings are a very male-dominated family. Whatever...but what about the twins? Betsy may be a woman, but Bobby is all man! Cast the twins! While you're at it, get Gary on the show. Ted Shackleford is still hot!

I am glad they will be keeping the opening credits. Hopefully, they'll begin inserting shots of the cast.

Jenny
06-15-2012, 02:12 PM
While you're at it, get Gary on the show. Ted Shackleford is still hot!

Funny thing is he and Valene were only on Dallas for 8-9 episodes before they got the spin off - which lasted 300+ eps. Ted Shackelford is now a regular character on the Y&R - again 300+ eps! He was also on the very shortlived but very delicious 90s series Savannah.

I haven't seen the new Dallas, but I wonder if all the old characters are there just to suck you in, and then they'll soon shift to the young ones, which occasional appearances if the producers think they need it. The new Melrose Place did that (didn't last) and 90210 (still going).

skatesindreams
06-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Never was particularly fond of JR (never a fan of anti-heroes), and much preferred Bobby and Pam. And OMG, I just adored Dusty...

ITA.

JR was so OTT and self-interested, that it was hard to feel sympathy; or "root" for him.
I adored Dusty because he really loved Sue Ellen.

Susan1
06-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Sigh, I miss Knots :(

A few years ago when I was living in the US, one of the cable soap channels started running it late at night, and then I moved back to Canada - the few eps I saw looked GREAT.

Sadly only seasons 1 and 2 are on DVD, back when it was a boring domestic soap focused on Karen and the Ewings. It got really good when things shifted to Abby, Sumner and Paige a few seasons in - those are the years I'd love to have on DVD!
Waaaaah!!!!! I still have the final episode, the movie and the reunion show on a VCR tape.

Sorry if this is not about Dallas (except that Gary was a Ewing and he and Val were on Dallas a couple times, and Bobby and JR visited Knots Landing so HA ;-) !!). Just want to hijack the thread for a minute - Or do we want to make a whole new KL thread ? Would we get many participants?

Anyway, when I broke my leg in 1996, they were showing Knots Landing reruns on TBS every morning at 11:00, so I had something to look forward to. OH - - my boyfriend was staying with me, and my dad happened to be over doing yard work or something one morning and came and sat for part of KL (probably because I made him wait for the commercial to talk!!). It was the episode where Gary's girlfriend, Jill, was trying to get Val to take pills so it looked like she committed suicide. I, of course, was riveted to the screen again (they never did show reruns right after the regular season!!!) and so were my dad and boyfriend. I knew what was coming, so when she yelled "take them" or whatever, I was looking out of the corner of my eye and both my dad and boyfriend jumped a mile. hee hee

I liked the Karen and Sid and Ewing and Laura and Karen early stuff. I did not like Kenny and Ginger. Or Valene's parade of goofball relatives. I liked the things the dealt with members of the cul-de-sac in later years better than all the extra characters they brought in and the international business dealings. Oh, every time I see William Devane on anything, I say there's Greg!! Remember when they had the memorial for Laura????? And you mentioned Paige, were you as much in love with Detective Tom Ryan as I was? I think I still have the TV Guide cover with him on it! (Still LOVE Knots Landing!)

Back to Dallas, I remember watching when Bobby came out of the shower (they made such a big deal out it; and this was before the internet), but not much after that. The whole dream thing was so stupid. That's probably why I didn't remember what happened to Pamela.

Vash01
06-16-2012, 01:19 AM
I liked Knots, but not as much as Dallas.

Jenny
06-16-2012, 02:27 PM
And you mentioned Paige, were you as much in love with Detective Tom Ryan as I was?

:swoon:

I loved it when Paige came on the show, and all the stuff at the Sumner Group (is that right?). My absolute favourite was Abby though, the gorgeous Donna Mills. I'll never forget her hiding the body when she though Olivia had killed someone, and the way she scammed Gary out of his development project with her fake Japanese company.

Sigh.

ChelleC
06-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I watched it last night. I ended up enjoying it, so I think I'll keep watching.

Karina1974
06-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Have you checked on Amazon? They have the entire series listed in season-by-season DVD sets. You can even get all 14 seasons in one shot for $333.40.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dallas+tv+series&sprefix=Dallas%2Caps%2C212

Jenny
06-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Have you checked on Amazon? They have the entire series listed in season-by-season DVD sets. You can even get all 14 seasons in one shot for $333.40.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dallas+tv+series&sprefix=Dallas%2Caps%2C212

That's Dallas - I was talking about Knots Landing :)

duane
06-21-2012, 04:03 AM
I guess this show has a viewer. :)

OMG Ken Kercheval! He and Larry Hagman look like the walking dead! But it's cool seeing JR and Cliff Barnes together again!