PDA

View Full Version : Bunheads on ABC Family

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Yazmeen
06-12-2012, 09:09 PM
So did anybody besides me watch? It was great - love, love LOVE both Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop (saw both last summer in Anything Goes on Broadway). And the dance students were amazing. Any other comments?

Lucy25
06-12-2012, 09:12 PM
I loved it, too. Sutton Foster is great and there was terrific writing in this pilot episode. Very witty. What a twist at the end; I did not see that coming. I am looking forward to the next episode.

IceAlisa
06-12-2012, 09:16 PM
I meant to check it out but forgot. Is it available On Demand?

Wyliefan
06-12-2012, 09:16 PM
(Moving my post over from the TV Shows thread)
I read an interview with Kelly Bishop where she said this character was totally different from Emily Gilmore, and all I could think was, "Yeah, RIGHT. Just keep telling yourself that." :lol: There are some different characteristics -- Emily wouldn't teach dance and she would never serve cheap wine -- but there is a LOT of Emily in her.

I can't help wishing Amy Sherman-Palladino wouldn't be such a one-trick pony, and I wasn't a big fan of the ending, but the show was cute and fun and I'll be back for more. Bishop and Foster are great. And Boo absolutely shines -- the sheer joy she put into that silly little dance just made my night!

I'll miss poor Hubbell, even though his behavior was stalkerish and his proposal was the creepiest one I've ever heard or imagined. His "No nuns!" was one of my favorite lines.

Lucy25
06-12-2012, 09:23 PM
I meant to check it out but forgot. Is it available On Demand?
It is being repeated lots of times this week. :)

Yazmeen
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
You can also watch it online at the ABC Family site for a limited time.

I'm hooked, can't wait for the next episode! I won't exactly miss Hubbell; the "he adores her, she doesn't love him" story would have gotten old quick, but it was a kick to see Alan Ruck play such a character.

Bostonfan
06-12-2012, 09:40 PM
I posted about this in the TV thread. It's definitely a Amy Sherman Paladino (spelling?) script. Like Aaron Sorkin, there's a definite fingerprint certain writers have. Strong female leads - check. Quirky townsfolks - check. Fast quips back and forth - check (although Sutton's speed doesn't compare to the Master, Lauren Graham). I don't care if Kelly Bishop is essentially a hippy-dippy version of Emily Gilmore. I adore her!

I'm sorry for those that haven't seen it, but I have to discuss the ending and I don't want to spoiler it. Suck it up. This isn't LOST.

All pilots have a LOT to do in terms of introducing the story and setting up the characters. But my goodness the hubby was merely a tool to 1) make sure the quickie marriage was consummated and 2) make sure we didn't miss that the house was owned by him. Thus the Vegas chorus girl will be the beneficiary, no? Now the story can proceed with the inevitable, "I won't go back to that life in Vegas, but try to make a go of it with my new mother-in- law in a town full of people that probably hate me". Talk about treating Hubbell like a blunt plot instrument and then tossing him aside. I don't care so much about him, as there was no chemistry at all between the two actors. It just felt a bit hackneyed even by Amy S-P standards.

Still I liked it and will continue to watch. It's cute and pleasant. Just what you'd expect from an ABC Family show. Plus I'd kill for a house with an ocean view like the one they showed. I'd even be OK with all the frog memorabilia. :)

Wyliefan
06-12-2012, 09:44 PM
I posted about this in the TV thread. It's definitely a Amy Sherman Paladino (spelling?) script. Like Aaron Sorkin, there's a definite fingerprint certain writers have. Strong female leads - check. Quirky townsfolks - check. Fast quips back and forth - check (although Sutton's speed doesn't compare to the Master, Lauren Graham).

Reluctance to let main character stay married for any length of time, check. :) Somehow it just reminded me so much of Lorelai's marriage that lasted for about five minutes. (Granted, that marriage was a huge mess from the start, but still.) I know we always hear about how good marriages on TV are boring, but I think that's a total copout. A good writer can portray a good marriage. Or one that becomes good, as this one had the potential to do. Oh, well.

AliasJohnDoe
06-12-2012, 09:44 PM
I missed it. But since many of you seem to like it, I'll check it out.

IceAlisa
06-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks, guys and gals. Will DVR it.

Artemis@BC
06-12-2012, 11:12 PM
You can also watch it online at the ABC Family site for a limited time.

If you're in the US you can. I hate geoblocking. :mad:

Oh well, there are other means ...

CDANN1013
06-12-2012, 11:52 PM
I missed it. But since many of you seem to like it, I'll check it out.

It was really enjoyable. Unlike other ABC Family shows, I will continue watching it. You won't regret watching it.

Carol

IceAlisa
06-13-2012, 12:23 AM
So I have a question for those who saw it: in previews it showed a lot of jazz dance in the audition but I thought "bunheads" are usually ballet dancers?

So is this show about ballet dancers?

michiruwater
06-13-2012, 01:17 AM
As a huge PLL fan, I meant to watch this (is it weird that I trust ABCFamily to give me better shows than most channels?) and totally forgot! After hearing the reviews I definitely plan on watching the episode on Hulu this week though :)

HeatherC
06-13-2012, 01:33 AM
So I have a question for those who saw it: in previews it showed a lot of jazz dance in the audition but I thought "bunheads" are usually ballet dancers?

So is this show about ballet dancers?

Yes, that particular part was Michelle teaching the ballet girls about the art of auditioning because someone from the Joffrey Ballet was coming there for auditions the next week. The little jazz dance was one she made up for them so they could go through a bit of a 'fake audition' before the big wigs come to town.

I usually hate ABC Family shows because they're too cheesy for me to handle (and I could NOT get over how fake the gymnastics looked and the mile wide beam on Make It or Break It :wall: ) but this one was just a charming, well written, and very likeable show that I can't wait to watch all summer. :D