View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Anne Frank

nubka
06-12-2012, 05:34 PM
http://sz0089.ev.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail#16

Today is Anne's birthday. Had she lived, she would be 83 years old. :(

Maofan7
06-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes, Happy Birthday.

Also RIP Miep Gies, who died only a couple of years ago aged 100. She was one of the 'helpers' who assisted in hiding the Frank family.

Rex
06-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Anne was a fellow Gemini. I guess that is why I relate to her so much.

mikey
06-12-2012, 09:17 PM
A few years ago, I visited the memorial on the site of the former Bergen-Belsen camp, where she died of typhus. Very moving.

paskatefan
06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
A good friend of mine shares her birthday with Anne Frank (and is very proud of that). Our closest elementary school was renamed Anne Frank School a number of years ago. All the children are taught about her life and legacy. Every year the school has an "Anne Frank" Day on June 12 (if on a weekend as close as possible to 6/12). A Holocaust survivor is invited to speak to the whole school, and spirit awards are presented to children in each grade who exemplify her qualities. Yesterday's guest speaker was a woman who was one of the hidden children who was 4-6 during WW2 & survived the war @ a convent in southern France. Her name is Ruth Hartz, and a book of her memoirs was written called Your Name is Renee (Renee was the name given to her to hide her Jewish identity). She also read the poem "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" from the collection of poems/artwork of the children imprisoned @ Terezin, the "model" camp relatively near Prague. A very moving day for all @ the school, and I hope that the children will always remember this experience and nrver take what they have in life for granted.