PDA

View Full Version : Shpilband/Zoueva Split Aftermath: What Happens Next?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

sap5
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
"Igor, don't worry about keeping in touch with the kids while they're away. I'll do that. Oh, and Craig O'Neill sent me a text message asking me about something. I'll drop by the rink and see what he wants."

:saint:

I suppose that, if nothing else, Igor has learned some valuable lessons about coaching partnerships.

DORISPULASKI
06-13-2012, 11:22 PM
A lot of other coaches learned something about what it's like to have a partnership with Marina...I wonder how long before she finds a new partner-coach patsy.

Ziggy
06-13-2012, 11:54 PM
I think Shakira and Stagniunas are going with him too, not 100% sure though...

Ooooooh I know I'm on tonight
I can't skate for shit but my marks don't lie
And I'm starting to feel it's right
All ze politik, the :bloc:-ing
Don't you see baby, this is perfection

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't their parents very strict -and still have rules for Maya not going on 1-1 dates, but only as a group or chaperoned? I seem to remember their mother being, erm, very involved in their daily training regime as well. So, in that sense being siblings is a problem --since they're both under the same over-protective bubble. It's hard to come up with voidy programs -or even interpret them appropriately when your real world experience is limited to the occasional college football game outing.

Yep, their no-life really shows in their skating and somebody should contact the social services.

minignome
06-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Shibs' main problem isn't being siblings. It's having no range. Cutesy-pootsy, Nickelodeon-themed programs are the only thing they can do. If at least those programs were voidy and exciting but Marina's choreography... :wall:

I mean they are both adults now. Their man-child look is just creepy. :scream:

Alex just turned 21. Maia won't be 18 till next month. They've been at the senior level for 2 seasons. I can't tell you every program they've ever done, but at least for their 2007 novice National Title, it was Taiko drumming -- definitely not cutesy. I'm not quite willing to write them off as having no range just yet.

mollymgr
06-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Maybe Marina and Igor were having screaming matches in Russian at the rink everyday. Maybe Marina did not feel that this was going to be such a big deal until the rink management got involved. Maybe the rink management misunderstood what Marina told them and fired Igor. I say this because none of things they said make any sense. Maybe the coaches egos are too big to apologize to each other and they would rather part ways.
The skaters, in the meantime, are all :confused: and still haven't figured out what just hit them.

Ziggy
06-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Alex just turned 21. Maia won't be 18 till next month. They've been at the senior level for 2 seasons. I can't tell you every program they've ever done, but at least for their 2007 novice National Title, it was Taiko drumming -- definitely not cutesy. I'm not quite willing to write them off as having no range just yet.

They've rehashed Taiko drumming for their OD in their second Junior World appearance and I guess it wasn't too bad (but they weren't selling it very well).

Their Tango FD, that season however, was a massive fail. They just didn't capture the mood of the tango at all (and ended up placing 4th after winning the silver medal the year before).

Proustable
06-14-2012, 12:52 AM
I first thing that came to my mind when I read that all of the skaters were unhappy the amount of time that Igor had been spending with them recently was that Tessa & Scott have been on tour with CSOI since the season ended. They went on vacation when the tour ended and were still on vacation when they received news of the firing, when were they supposed to have missed out on time with Igor?

This, and Jacqui White's post have made me suspicious of the official line in all of this but no one is disputing the outcome, including Igor. Igor seems to have accepted the situation with grace and class. Everyone is saying nice things about one another. We are never going to know any more than, it's over.

I'm waiting for the Russian Federation to send I&K to Igor and I'm willing to bet real money it will happen.

Really? Because that would be a massive vote of non-confidence for Morosov, and given that he's clearly the guy heading the Russian skating program heading into Sochi (why they sent I/K to him from Zhulin in the first place). Especially if R/T are already there.

kwanfan1818
06-14-2012, 12:59 AM
It could easily be posed as "Let Morozov focus on our Pairs gold medal," since regaining the Pairs title is one of the most important goals and much more likely than a dance gold.

I also wouldn't call it "No confidence" -- it's not like Morozov has a winning record with dance teams. Morozov knows what the goal is for Sochi -- gold in all four disciplines and team -- and even he would admit that Shpilband is a better bet for a dance medal than he. Bidness is bidness.

Anita18
06-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't their parents very strict -and still have rules for Maya not going on 1-1 dates, but only as a group or chaperoned? I seem to remember their mother being, erm, very involved in their daily training regime as well. So, in that sense being siblings is a problem --since they're both under the same over-protective bubble. It's hard to come up with voidy programs -or even interpret them appropriately when your real world experience is limited to the occasional college football game outing.
Er, the partiers I knew were terrible artists. Although there was that one guy in college who could party one night and take an organic chemistry test the next morning and ace it, and be the solo violinist for the orchestra recital a few days later. But he's a freak and the kind of guy who makes you wonder if you're worthy of using the earth's oxygen. :lol: It certainly isn't typical!

The great artists/musicians/dancers WORK on that part of their craft. They don't suddenly gain artistry by having "life experience," whatever that means. If the Shibs are to gain range and artistry, they have work on it. Being able to go on 1-1 dates doesn't help in that respect.

I was often the best artist in my life drawing classes years ago, sensual curves and shading everywhere, and up to that point the only naked men I had seen in person were in those life drawing classes. :P

Proustable
06-14-2012, 01:19 AM
It could easily be posed as "Let Morozov focus on our Pairs gold medal," since regaining the Pairs title is one of the most important goals and much more likely than a dance gold.

I also wouldn't call it "No confidence" -- it's not like Morozov has a winning record with dance teams. Morozov knows what the goal is for Sochi -- gold in all four disciplines and team -- and even he would admit that Shpilband is a better bet for a dance medal than he. Bidness is bidness.

Eh, I'd be floored if he ever admitted that.

I thought getting ladies gold (first time ever) would be a higher priority as well, to be honest.

Cherub721
06-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Eh, I'd be floored if he ever admitted that.

I thought getting ladies gold (first time ever) would be a higher priority as well, to be honest.

To that end, Morozov choreographs for Lipnitskaya and coaches Leonova.

I certainly hope the Russian federation doesn't care about hurting his feelings and is more focused on results...

dots
06-14-2012, 01:35 AM
"Shpilband moving to Novi [Michigan], bringing Chock and Bates": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120612&content_id=33179074&vkey=ice_news

Damn!! Damn! Damn! Allow me to go cry in a corner :slinkaway :wuzrobbed

I have this horrible feeling like they just fell into a pit full of vipers. :wideeyes: For their own good I hope Alexei Gorshkov remains a friend of Igor but from a distance....a very looooooooooong distance. :scream:

stevlin
06-14-2012, 01:57 AM
But why is this? D/W are "just friends" but their programs are not limited...

Because D & W are not related. For the brother and sister team, a romantic skate would have the "ew" factor. Everyone knows they are siblings.

Dragonlady
06-14-2012, 02:02 AM
This was a huge problem for the Hubbells. When Keifer laid his head on Madison's mid-section while the lyrics sang of desire, it was a very "EWWWWW! Dude, that's your sister moment".

ballettmaus
06-14-2012, 02:06 AM
I'm waiting for the Russian Federation to send I&K to Igor and I'm willing to bet real money it will happen.

Now that would open a whole bunch of doors for new speculation if that happened :D

Since people were talking about who coached who at an early age - when did D/W and V/M end up in Canton? I was under the (apparently false) impression that the former had been with Shpilband from an early age on.