PDA

View Full Version : Shpilband/Zoueva Split Aftermath: What Happens Next?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

nylynnr
06-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Igor coached Silverstein/Pekarek, and young B/A, with Liz Coates. Liz was the one who was credited with giving both teams strong basic skills. When Liz left, S/P were no more, and people started criticizing B/A for sacrificing technique for speed.

Perhaps you are right. My mistake.

kwanfan1818
06-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Coated specialized in blade skills and compulsory dances. Shpliband's forte as a technical coach is point-getting elements, and until the judges scores reflect lack of line, toe-point, turnout, finish, unison, and ease of the blade, then the Shpilband brand of technique will be more important than the Coated brand of techniqu

kwanfan1818
06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Coated specialized in blade skills and compulsory dances. Shpliband's forte as a technical coach is point-getting elements, and until the judges scores reflect lack of line, toe-point, turnout, finish, unison, and ease of the blade, then the Shpilband brand of technique will be more important than the Coated brand of technique.

I mis-used the term "developmental" coach: I didn't mean teaching young children the basics but taking preteens and young teenagers and growing them up to the top senior level.

If he gets unhappy about skaters making the same mistakes, no wonder he becomes uninterested when they peak: incremental improvement at that level is difficult and takes a great deal of effort, plus any short-cuts or habits have to be undone, which at that level is a great risk.

casken
06-12-2012, 06:17 PM
The problem with the Shibs isn't that they are siblings, or not being voidy enough or whatever, it's the simple fact that they don't generate the power per push of the blade that any other team in the top 10 can.

Yes, the lack of any original choreography doesn't help, but it doesn't really matter what style of program they do, it just won't have the same impact with their SS.

And the Kerrs were consistently overmarked if anything. :P

kwanfan1818
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
From what I've seen of them live, boy Shib has as smooth and efficient blades as anyone competing now. Until I saw them live for the first time, at SA in Portland IIRC, I was meh about them from video and didn't understand what the hype was about.

Zemgirl
06-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Responding to Allezfred's comment on the other closed thread. Part of the reason for the Shib's less than awesome programs was the fact that they are brother & sister. Very limiting.
As others have noted, it's only limiting if you make it limiting. The Kerrs, in addition to being siblings, also have very little height difference between them and got into ice dance relatively late - yet they managed to come up with plenty of creative ideas for programs. Having interesting programs allowed them to succeed beyond what a team with their technical ability normally would have.

The problem is more that Marina and Igor couldn't really figure out what to do with a sibling team, and I hope the Shibs will eventually find someone who can.

Sparks
06-12-2012, 06:36 PM
From what I've seen of them live, boy Shib has as smooth and efficient blades as anyone competing now. Until I saw them live for the first time, at SA in Portland IIRC, I was meh about them from video and didn't understand what the hype was about.

ITA. One has to see the Shibs live. They have gorgeous blade control and are usually smooth as silk.

kwanfan1818
06-12-2012, 06:55 PM
ITA. One has to see the Shibs live. They have gorgeous blade control and are usually smooth as silk.
I think they have the best blades in Canton.

pani
06-12-2012, 07:07 PM
I think they have the best blades in Canton.

Maia? :eek:

peibeck
06-12-2012, 07:07 PM
The problem with the Shibs isn't that they are siblings, or not being voidy enough or whatever, it's the simple fact that they don't generate the power per push of the blade that any other team in the top 10 can.

The Shibs are amazing technicians and skaters, indeed far better technicians than "interpreters" at this point. Their speed, ice coverage and edges are all of superior quality, so I am rather confused by your assessment of power as their weakness.

Anjelica
06-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Yes but Liz Coates' leaving had nothing to do with Silverstein and Pekarek being 'no more'

pani
06-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Yes but Liz Coates' leaving had nothing to do with Silverstein and Pekarek being 'no more'

Who did choreo for Silverstein and Pekarek?

And i think H-D were close to the Shibs at WCh. And they are only 1 year together.

Sparks
06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Who did choreo for Silverstein and Pekarek?

And i think H-D were close to the Shibs at WCh. And they are only 1 year together.

Have you seen both teams live?

sap5
06-12-2012, 07:38 PM

I didn't say that it did. I meant that Liz Coates was there the entire time S/P worked with Igor.

Sylvia
06-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Didn't Shpilband choreograph Silverstein/Pekarek's memorable "Great Expectations" FD? Here's their performance from 2000 Four Continents (they won the bronze): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FEjEvV-gX0