PDA

View Full Version : Shpilband/Zoueva Split Aftermath: What Happens Next?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27

Theatregirl1122
07-23-2012, 10:09 PM
I guess my question whenever this comes up is, if indeed I&K (or anyone) aren't training as hard as they possibily could, who do they owe it to to train harder? Obviously in order to be the best, you have to train harder than most of us could ever imagine. But if an athlete/team attains a certain level based on natural talent and they aren't interested in sacraficing normal life to the point they would have to in order to reach the top, shouldn't they have every right to do that? It is their life after all. So if they are willingly making a choice to train less than other teams and accept whatever consequences come with that, is it really fair for people to say that they are disappointing or frustrating or whatever?

Obviously this is more of a philosophical question than a question about Elena and Nikita, but I feel like the idea comes up a lot.

Macassar88
07-23-2012, 10:11 PM
I guess my question whenever this comes up is, if indeed I&K (or anyone) aren't training as hard as they possibily could, who do they owe it to to train harder? Obviously in order to be the best, you have to train harder than most of us could ever imagine. But if an athlete/team attains a certain level based on natural talent and they aren't interested in sacraficing normal life to the point they would have to in order to reach the top, shouldn't they have every right to do that? It is their life after all. So if they are willingly making a choice to train less than other teams and accept whatever consequences come with that, is it really fair for people to say that they are disappointing or frustrating or whatever?

Obviously this is more of a philosophical question than a question about Elena and Nikita, but I feel like the idea comes up a lot.

Yes. Of course they have the right to work as little as they want, but they shouldn't expect to win medals giving 50%.

hanca
07-23-2012, 10:34 PM
I am quite surprised how everyone is willing to believe that I&K aren't training as hard as they possibily could. What is it based on? There was one interview with a coach they left; it has happened before to other skaters that the coach is not happy about skaters leaving him/her and tries to make them look bad. So why does everyone keep repeating this as if it was the truth and the only truth?

aliona22
07-23-2012, 10:39 PM
who do they owe it to to train harder?

if their federation pays them a salary, they may have agreed to such terms when they accepted the funding. the variables are obviously subjective, but i'm sure their fed has appointed members to evaluate issues like level of preparation, commitment to training, etc.

Theatregirl1122
07-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Yes. Of course they have the right to work as little as they want, but they shouldn't expect to win medals giving 50%.

I didn't say they should.

if their federation pays them a salary, they may have agreed to such terms when they accepted the funding. the variables are obviously subjective, but i'm sure their fed has appointed members to evaluate issues like level of preparation, commitment to training, etc.

Right, but theoretically their federation is free to not fund them if they feel that the team is not working hard enough.

For the record, I don't necessarily know that I believe that I&K aren't working hard.

aka_gerbil
07-23-2012, 11:55 PM
FWIW, the first reports about I/K and not working hard enough came from TAT during the 2010/2011 season when they were still with Zhulin. Zhulin talked about it some in an article right after I/K left. I'm not entirely sure where the information that they didn't train between Worlds and the WTT came from originally, but I read it in one of the threads for the WTT this year.

I'll admit that things may or may not be true depending upon the agenda of the sources at various times, but if it is true that they didn't train between Worlds and WTT, then, IMO, there's no other way to classify that anything but "not working hard enough." (And if it were a case they couldn't train because of injury, they should have passed on the spot and let someone else go in their spot.)

MacMadame
07-24-2012, 02:02 AM
As for the hat work requiring an unnatural mindset I completely agree.
I don't. For some people, trying to excel and be the best they can be in almost every situation they find is a very natural mindset.

Macassar88
07-24-2012, 02:05 AM
I don't. For some people, trying to excel and be the best they can be in almost every situation they find is a very natural mindset.

I meant more of out of the ordinary meaning that the average human probably won't be able to summon the mental fortitude to put themselves through that much pressure and work to succeed in that way.

MacMadame
07-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Well I hang out with triathletes who aren't professionals, just doing it for fun, and they do things like workout 20 hours a week and go on 60-100 mile bike rides once a week.

I know not everyone is like but it's not unnatural and plenty of average people do it.

Ziggy
07-24-2012, 03:00 AM
I could be (and probably am) wrong about this, but I swear I remember reading that she was more or less semi-retired and sticking close to home, working with younger skaters now.

Her husband was very ill and that was her priority.

She's coaching again now.

Agafonova/Ucar train with her (and Oleg Voiko).

aka_gerbil
07-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Her husband was very ill and that was her priority.

She's coaching again now.

Agafonova/Ucar train with her (and Oleg Voiko).

Thanks for clarifying, although I'm sad to hear that her husband was ill. :(

Dragonlady
07-24-2012, 04:01 AM
I&K also went on vacation in 2011 after Worlds was cancelled and didn't continue to train for Worlds in Moscow. Zhulin was seriously pissed about that. My impression was that he was glad to be rid of them.

Macassar88
07-24-2012, 04:03 AM
I&K also went on vacation in 2011 after Worlds was cancelled and didn't continue to train for Worlds in Moscow. Zhulin was seriously pissed about that. My impression was that he was glad to be rid of them.

Are you serious?!?!?
That's unacceptable especially considering where worlds were being held

kwanfan1818
07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
By choosing Zueva, Ms. Davis has given up the opportunity to be trained in Italian by Ms. Fusar-Poli.

Nell411
07-24-2012, 08:32 AM
By choosing Zueva, Ms. Davis has given up the opportunity to be trained in Italian by Ms. Fusar-Poli.

I keep thinking about how awesome that would have been. It's making me sad that D/W choose to stay with Zoueva.