PDA

View Full Version : Shpilband/Zoueva Split Aftermath: What Happens Next?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Sylvia
07-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Also, the Italian team of Federica Bernardi and Christopher Mior (they missed Italian Nationals last year and finished 7th at both 2011 Ice Challenge and 2012 Bavarian Open) are listed as being coached by Marina Zoueva at the Lake Placid IDC.

Macassar88
07-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Also, the Italian team of Federica Bernardi and Christopher Mior (they missed Italian Nationals last year and finished 7th at both 2011 Ice Challenge and 2012 Bavarian Open) are listed as being coached by Marina Zoueva at the Lake Placid IDC.

Lol I read this as Christopher Moir at first.

missysays
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Teams registered for the 2012 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships at the end of July include:

Coached by Shpilband - Chock & Bates and the 2 new Junior teams of Marina Barova (UKR) & Allan Stoll (CAN) and Yura Min (KOR) & Sam Kaplun (UKR). Both Min and Kaplun have competed in the U.S (Kaplun was 7th in Junior at 2012 Nationals with Amanda Bertsch) and I assume their goal is to represent Korea internationally.

Coached by Zoueva - Alissandra Aronow & Collin Brubaker (their competition debut, I believe) and the new Canadian Junior team of Courtney Baay & Nick Toth.

The 2012 U.S. Novice pewter medalists, Chloe Lewis & Logan Bye, are listed under Judy Blumberg, Shpilband and Zoueva - unclear who their primary coach is.

It'll be interesting to see some of the early results from separate Shpilband/Zoueva coaching.

Also, I really liked little Lewis and Bye from last year's Nationals. They were one of the highlights of the novice ice dance competition for me. They have an inspired performance quality that can't be taught. I hope they're able to continue to grow and develop together and find the right coaching support. I saw last year that Judy Blumberg was one of their coaches- I didn't realize that she coached ice dance teams as well as her technical caller duties. Or does she coach only young novice teams?

kppt
07-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Coached by Zoueva - Alissandra Aronow & Collin Brubaker (their competition debut, I believe) and the new Canadian Junior team of Courtney Baay & Nick Toth.

Both of these teams are also registered to skate at Thornhill. Senior short dance will also have Gilles/Poirier, Ralph/Hill and Paul/Islam. Should be a great event:)

Sylvia
07-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte talk about working with Igor Shpilband in Novi, MI this summer in a new IN article today - article link is posted in the Program Music/Choreographers thread and being discussed starting here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3620682#post3620682
Excerpt from the article:

"Our original decision, when we talked to Marina and Igor at worlds, was to go to Canton and train with the whole crew," Cappellini said via Skype. "It came kind of sudden, the news of their breakup -- it was really unexpected for us. With the separation [from Zoueva], we thought that Igor was the person that could help us the most."

The couple confirmed that Paola Mezzadri is still their primary coach, in Milan.

"She's a very artistic coach," Cappellini said. "What we really needed to improve were our elements, our skating, our training methods -- it was a natural idea to go to Igor."

The Novi Ice Arena is holding their annual "Customer Appreciation Day" on Wednesday, August 1st, and there's a figure skating exhibition scheduled from 6:30-7 pm listed on the flyer: http://www.noviicearena.com/news_article/show/156629?referrer_id=380551

l'etoile
07-16-2012, 07:50 PM
^^ Will skaters under Igor perform in that exhibition?

Cherub721
07-17-2012, 12:13 AM
So Igor brought in Marina Klimova to handle some of the finer points. I bet it would be easier for her to take Zoueva's job alongside Igor than it will be for Zoueva to find a new "Igor."

I think Igor should bring in all of the great dance divas of the 90s on a rotating basis to help his teams. :lol: Like Klimova, Anissina, Usova & Grishuk (you couldn't have the latter two at the same time!).

Macassar88
07-17-2012, 12:49 AM
So Igor brought in Marina Klimova to handle some of the finer points. I bet it would be easier for her to take Zoueva's job alongside Igor than it will be for Zoueva to find a new "Igor."

I think Igor should bring in all of the great dance divas of the 90s on a rotating basis to help his teams. :lol: Like Klimova, Anissina, Usova & Grishuk (you couldn't have the latter two at the same time!).

OMGSSZZZ HEE SHOULD INLY BRING PASHA IN BEUCASE ONLY PASHA CAN SAVE ICE DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(From ESTA)

I think that's a great idea though (Klimova and all the others) because it will also give him more politick power.

aka_gerbil
07-17-2012, 01:08 AM

Where's your sense of adventure and drama? ;)

Maybe one could work with Igor and one with Marina...

missysays
07-17-2012, 01:50 AM
That's an intriguing little nugget (regarding Marina K). It seems that Igor really likes having a counterpart to work with rather than going it alone as a coach.

While Marina K would be a lovely performance coach (she's a legendary performer) I don't know that her choreographic ideas would be all that good- the programs that she's given her son, Anthony, a dancer on the intermediate level have been re-tread program ideas- almost direct copies of her old programs or T&D old programs. If he's looking for someone with good program ideas, he might like to knock on Sharon Baker's door in Seattle. Her program ideas for her son Jean-Luc and his former partner Joylyn were always really interesting and original though she coaches with her husband so the program ideas might be a collaborative endeavor. And that would be a coaching threesome instead of just a twosome.

Wonder if Marina K would really consider re-locating from west coast to MI if the opportunity were to present itself. It's a great coaching career move but what would that mean for her husband? Isn't Sergei P a technical caller for Russia?

Hmm tons of questions can't wait to see how it all sorts itself out.:watch:

dots
07-17-2012, 02:01 AM
so is Zoueva going solo or something? :confused: She better find a kick-ass partner pronto! :kickass:

MacMadame
07-17-2012, 05:41 AM
The choreography Marina does for the local skaters is at least as good as what Zoueva does. ;)

MoreIce
07-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Not that I see this happening but Igor could have an in with Grishuk, because one of the girls in his current teams was a long time student of Grishuks! And like ESTA I would be over the moon if she were doing choreo for his teams!

Tak
07-17-2012, 10:16 AM
So Igor brought in Marina Klimova to handle some of the finer points. .

Oh this is REALLY good news, I think. Marina was pure ballerina in everything she did. She will definitely help with the style, movement and point or Igor's dancers - in fact just what they need IMO.

WTH are D/W thinking staying with Zueva???? this new Sphilband/Klimova combination sounds like just what they need.

Cherub721
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Not that I see this happening but Igor could have an in with Grishuk, because one of the girls in his current teams was a long time student of Grishuks! And like ESTA I would be over the moon if she were doing choreo for his teams!

Oh interesting, who is that?

Imagine if I&K went there, and Ilinykh worked with Grishuk. :swoon: