PDA

View Full Version : Shpilband/Zoueva Split Aftermath: What Happens Next?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

dots
06-21-2012, 06:38 AM
I wish the Shibutanis would skate to Buika. Her version of Sombras is fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiftz0tGQtk&feature=related

They were born to skate to this.

Zack Donohue is so purdy :swoon:

rhumba
06-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Regarding DSC, another thread mentioned Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam with Pasquale at least through the summer. There is also Matt Kleffman who is with a Canadian girl. I think that brings it up to a minimum of 15 teams. I read he was working with Plushenko on choreography too. Even with a large coaching team assisting him he must be a very busy man to fit all that in.

How many ice sheets at DSC? 15 teams without counting singles seem to be a lot for one sheet. Let's say, they skate 10 hours a day, each team skate 4 sessions per day. It will be 6 teams on the ice together (without counting singles). Each team will be able to get lesson from either one of the head coaches (husband and wife) in average 1 hour 20 min. a day. Where did he find time to do outside choreography, work after hour??

Dragonlady
06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
How many ice sheets at DSC? 15 teams without counting singles seem to be a lot for one sheet. Let's say, they skate 10 hours a day, each team skate 4 sessions per day. It will be 6 teams on the ice together (without counting singles). Each team will be able to get lesson from either one of the head coaches (husband and wife) in average 1 hour 20 min. a day. Where did he find time to do outside choreography, work after hour??

Nobody skates 10 hours a day. Two to three hours a day on the ice is about right.

Tammi
06-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Nobody skates 10 hours a day. Two to three hours a day on the ice is about right.Rhumba mentioned the skaters being on the ice for 4 sessions a day (about right during training season), so that would mean the coaches might need to be on for 10 hours a day giving lessons.

purple skates
06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
How many ice sheets at DSC?

I think there's three. One to the left of the lobby, one to the right of the lobby, and one behind the one to the right. I could be mixing it up with the rink in Brownstown, though.

Skittl1321
06-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I think there's three. One to the left of the lobby, one to the right of the lobby, and one behind the one to the right. I could be mixing it up with the rink in Brownstown, though.

You are right. DSC has 3.

Here is their summer ice schedule. http://www.dscclub.com/downloads/sumskating_2012.pdf There are 10 dance sessions per day among the various rinks. Dance teams can also skate on general sessions, though only compulsory dances, there appear to be about 9 each day.
DSC is fairly unique in that it has only rare public sessions: http://www.dscclub.com/downloads/publicskate_2012.pdf (Look at the summer calender, there is very little.)

rhumba
06-21-2012, 09:11 PM
You are right. DSC has 3.

Here is their summer ice schedule. http://www.dscclub.com/downloads/sumskating_2012.pdf There are 10 dance sessions per day among the various rinks. Dance teams can also skate on general sessions, though only compulsory dances, there appear to be about 9 each day.
DSC is fairly unique in that it has only rare public sessions: http://www.dscclub.com/downloads/publicskate_2012.pdf (Look at the summer calender, there is very little.)

Thanks. Total 10 dance sessions for team dance which matches with my scenario. However, each team will prob. do one session of compulsory dance a day on general session, helps cut down the over crowded ice, down to 5 teams on each session. Each team will get lesson from head coach, either the husband or the wife 1 hr 20 min., max (if both teach 10 hr/day and he has to work after hour for outside choreography). I guess some teams might feel like to move to Igor to get more lessons and less crowded ice??

purple skates
06-21-2012, 09:20 PM
However, each team will prob. do one session of compulsory dance a day on general session

If DSC is anything like A2, the teams don't set foot (skate?) on general sessions, if you are talking about regular club ice where you get everything from learn to skate to synchro to high freestylers.

rhumba
06-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Sorry, the team dance session lasts only 45 min. Each team will receive not more than 60 min. lesson each day if both teach 10 sessions each.

Dragonlady
06-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Sorry, the team dance session lasts only 45 min. Each team will receive not more than 60 min. lesson each day if both teach 10 sessions each.

The skaters are not receiving lessons every moment that they are on the ice. The lessons are short (20 minutes in the US) and the rest of the session is spent working on what was discussed in the lesson.

Skittl1321
06-21-2012, 10:16 PM
If DSC is anything like A2, the teams don't set foot (skate?) on general sessions, if you are talking about regular club ice where you get everything from learn to skate to synchro to high freestylers.

I doubt teams use those sessions, but they are available.

That said, with the high level of skating at DSC, I doubt too many learn to skate students go on these sesssions. There are specific LTS sessions too, and I bet that is way less daunting.

I'm pretty amazed at how specifically their schedule is divided up and all the requirements to be on the ice.

hanca
06-22-2012, 04:21 PM
The skaters are not receiving lessons every moment that they are on the ice. The lessons are short (20 minutes in the US) and the rest of the session is spent working on what was discussed in the lesson.

20 mins lesson might be good for an adult skater, but I doubt that elite skaters could be successful while receiving so little private tuition. Especially when doing ice dance.

When you do freeskating, there is plenty you can do on your own, because it is quite straightforward if you land the jump or not, or if you can do the spin or not, and then within your lesson you can be addressing just the things that didn't work or learning new elements. In ice dance, learning the pattern dance or learning new free dance is the easiest bit, but then comes the constant polishing of little things so that they look just right, I don't think any couple can do that on their own. They may keep skating through it again and again, to make it smoother, but they can't see it from the outside like their coach and judges can. Dance is not as straightforward as freeskating, it is not about landed or not landed jump, and only coach can give you feedback to make it look right. What you feel is often different than how it looks, so the skaters can't come up with the corrections on their own. They definitely need more then 20 mins per day!

Dragonlady
06-22-2012, 04:25 PM
They definitely need more then 20 mins per day!

I didn't say the skaters received lessons for 20 minutes a day. I said they are not receiving coaching for the entire time they are on the ice. Yes, they're getting more than 20 minutes of coaching a day, but they are not being coached every second they are on the ice.

MacMadame
06-23-2012, 02:54 AM
Also the "20 min lesson" thing is not universal. In some parts of the US, 30 min. lessons are the norm. And in some groups where it's almost all elite skaters, the coaches are on the ice when everyone else is and may at any time stop what they are doing to make a correction or have a conversation about an element even if the skater/couple is not actually in a lesson.

Sylvia
06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Teams registered for the 2012 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships at the end of July include:

Coached by Shpilband - Chock & Bates and the 2 new Junior teams of Marina Barova (UKR) & Allan Stoll (CAN) and Yura Min (KOR) & Sam Kaplun (UKR). Both Min and Kaplun have competed in the U.S (Kaplun was 7th in Junior at 2012 Nationals with Amanda Bertsch) and I assume their goal is to represent Korea internationally.

Coached by Zoueva - Alissandra Aronow & Collin Brubaker (their competition debut, I believe) and the new Canadian Junior team of Courtney Baay & Nick Toth.

The 2012 U.S. Novice pewter medalists, Chloe Lewis & Logan Bye, are listed under Judy Blumberg, Shpilband and Zoueva - unclear who their primary coach is.