PDA

View Full Version : Shpilband/Zoueva Split Aftermath: What Happens Next?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

VIETgrlTerifa
06-15-2012, 07:20 PM
And is dating the only social outlet for a 17 year-old girl? Especially one who trains, and travels world, does media events? Yes, Maia can work on "selling herself" flirtatiously and sexually as it seems that's what posters here keep alluding to, but I also understand it if other circumstances make it difficult. Brother as a partner, being 17 and just out of high school, and depending on your perceptions a stereotypically-strict Asian mom, etc.

ioana
06-15-2012, 07:28 PM
And is dating the only social outlet for a 17 year-old girl? Especially one who trains, and travels world, does media events?

The first one that comes to mind to help with her Latin dance issue, yes. íSi Si Si! :P

aka_gerbil
06-15-2012, 07:29 PM
As far as everything else goes, there's a big difference between not having enough time to go out on a date and not being *allowed* to.

I don't have a problem with Mama Shibs approach to dating; there are a lot of teens in this world who could have really benefitted from having some boundaries like that. Both the Shib sibs have always come across to me as being relatively well-rounded, intelligent, and able to carry themselves well, especially for their ages. Going out on 1-on-1 dates is not the only way to get life experience. When I was her age, I hadn't been much further away from home than 5 hours, save a very small handful of trips over the years.

I do understand what you're saying about dating and flirting, but IMO, all the dates in the world might not have made one iota of difference in this situation because Maia skates with her brother. There are just some places they can't go. That said, there are other directions out there that they could go in that aren't the same as what they've been doing and aren't going to be skeevy becausing of the sibling factor.

sap5
06-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Heh, must file that one under YMMV. To me, the whole beginning section looked like a very lenghty exercise in avoiding a suggestive pull-in like this one (http://aliveontheshelves.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/tango-ii.jpg). She kept turning sideways any time it looked like they might end up facing each other too closely. I get that's not the only way to interpret a samba, but to me she looked uncomfortable the whole dance -with the idea of being close to her partner not in terms of skating ability.

She didn't look uncomfortable to me at all. The key is what I highlighed in your own post. The Shibs samba was a fun party dance, not a sensual samba.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Is there even such a thing as a sensual samba? Suggestive samba yes, but sensual? I mean, it's not a tango as in the picture ioana linked to.

ioana
06-15-2012, 07:41 PM
She didn't look uncomfortable to me at all. The Shibs samba was a fun party dance, not a sensual samba.

Having seen the dance live at the GPF and several run-throughs at the same event, she looked like she was avoiding her dance partner. All the facing away from each other and lack of eye contact in the 'setting the mood' parts of the program. Will need to double check and see if some of that got changed before Worlds. P/B also did a samba and conveyed 'fun' a lot more effectively.

ioana
06-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Is there even such a thing as a sensual samba? Suggestive samba yes, but sensual?

I thought they missed the mark on either one :shuffle:

leapfrogonice
06-15-2012, 07:54 PM
IOANA ... [/QUOTE] As far as everything else goes, there's a big difference between not having enough time to go out on a date and not being *allowed* to.[/QUOTE]

So IOANA, you know this to be a FACT? Which suggests that you know Maia or her family well enough to be sure of such information, and you are exploiting your relationship and this forum as a way to criticize them anonymously. Nice.

OR ... are you lying. You are making something up and presenting it as fact. And no, the use of * * does not condition your statement.

As is typically the case, when comments like this get made, they tend to get picked up by others as a topic for further discussion, and HEY! before you know it, it has become part of the folklore on a given person. Nice.

In this case, by the way, they are in regard to someone who is still a minor.

I suppose it makes no difference. Either way, you are making comments which are negatively directed towards Maia on a PERSONAL level. This is barely disguised to support your OPINION that the "right" way for someone to perform Latin dance to your satisfaction is with a certain manner which it would seem comes from going on unsupervised dates.

You also don't hesitate to insult Maia's parents. Parents who in most people's books seem to have done a pretty darn effective job of raising an impressive young woman.

So which is it IOANA??

Do you HATE Maia?
IOANA, Do you HATE Maia's parents?
IOANA, Do you HATE them equally? Do you hate one more than the other?

I don't need to ask if you HATE her skating. That much is clear.

UMBS Go Blue
06-15-2012, 08:15 PM
More to the original point, it's laughable that people who sit in front of the computer all the time and live an ocean away, and who very likely are shy, awkward, sheltered, and lacking life experience themselves, should think they can pass adequate judgment on two skaters they don't know and describe them as being shy, awkward, sheltered, and lacking life experience.

ioana
06-15-2012, 08:19 PM
leapfrog, you really need to differentiate between hatred on a personal level & dislike for a program or interpretation and finding possible explanations for that.

allezfred
06-15-2012, 08:21 PM
In the beginning of their Samba section, I actually found Alex and Maia more natural as dancers in terms of movement than some of their competitors. For example, when J. Lo starts blasting, Meryl's posture and movement is very awkward. It reminded me of Tatiana Navka during the Austin Powers transition in terms of awkward, unconvincing movement.

Are you blind? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

VIETgrlTerifa
06-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Are you blind? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No, but I know you are :P

I mean come on, when Tatiana and Roman were doing that hunched gun slinging move, they looked so off-rhythm and unnatural.

AJ Skatefan
06-15-2012, 09:36 PM
More to the original point, it's laughable that people who sit in front of the computer all the time and live an ocean away, and who very likely are shy, awkward, sheltered, and lacking life experience themselves, should think they can pass adequate judgment on two skaters they don't know and describe them as being shy, awkward, sheltered, and lacking life experience.

^^This

Cherub721
06-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Does the rule about not speculating about minors' dating lives not also apply to speculating about their non-dating lives? :saint:

I am one who feels that the Shibs are unsexy, unvoidy, and unconvincing Latin dancers, but I don't think that has to be tied to their personal lives at all. Ballroom and Latin dancing are very big within the Mormon church, for example, which promotes very conservative values. Here's a rhumba (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P3JjNjHxCc) from a Mormon brother-sister team which is very hot and has proper expression.

I am sure there are plenty of counter-examples of skaters who have wild sex lives but can't show a scintilla of chemistry on the ice, but I don't really care to think about them.

And I agree that the dancing in Pink Panther/Austin Powers FD from Navka was awkward... I actually think Roman was a better "dancer" than Tatiana.

martyross
06-15-2012, 09:54 PM
[I]IOANA ...

So [B]IOANA, you know this to be a FACT? Which suggests that you know Maia or her family well enough to be sure of such information, and you are exploiting your relationship and this forum as a way to criticize them anonymously. Nice.

OR ... are you lying. You are making something up and presenting it as fact. And no, the use of * * does not condition your statement.

As is typically the case, when comments like this get made, they tend to get picked up by others as a topic for further discussion, and HEY! before you know it, it has become part of the folklore on a given person. Nice.

In this case, by the way, they are in regard to someone who is still a minor.

I suppose it makes no difference. Either way, you are making comments which are negatively directed towards Maia on a PERSONAL level. This is barely disguised to support your OPINION that the "right" way for someone to perform Latin dance to your satisfaction is with a certain manner which it would seem comes from going on unsupervised dates.

You also don't hesitate to insult Maia's parents. Parents who in most people's books seem to have done a pretty darn effective job of raising an impressive young woman.

So which is it IOANA??

Do you HATE Maia?
IOANA, Do you HATE Maia's parents?
IOANA, Do you HATE them equally? Do you hate one more than the other?

I don't need to ask if you HATE her skating. That much is clear.

goodness me, this was scary to read. are you a preacher or something.