PDA

View Full Version : Shpilband/Zoueva Split Aftermath: What Happens Next?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Sylvia
06-14-2012, 05:36 PM
On their facebook Tobias & Stagniunas announced, that they are going with Igor Shpilband.
2013 Europeans (Jan. 21-27 in Zagreb, Croatia) and 2013 U.S. Nationals (Jan. 20-27 in Omaha, Nebraska) are being held the same week again. ETA: IIRC, Shpilband made a quick trip to 2012 Euros to be with Tobias/Stagniunas (short dance?) before flying back for U.S. Nationals in San Jose.

Canadians will be in Mississauga, Ontario, January 13-20, 2013, so no conflict for Zoueva.

Iceman
06-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Someone mentioned that there are no olympic size rinks at this new place. Do most skaters train at places where there is olympic size ice. I'm not a skater, but it seems like it would be a hindrance to train at a place with that deficiency. Does he have to stay in Michigan? Seems there are many places in the US who would love to have him.

shsocu
06-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Someone mentioned that there are no olympic size rinks at this new place. Do most skaters train at places where there is olympic size ice. I'm not a skater, but it seems like it would be a hindrance to train at a place with that deficiency. Does he have to stay in Michigan? Seems there are many places in the US who would love to have him.

Are there olympic size rinks in Canton? He probably wants to stay in the area because of his personal life and so the skaters that do move with him don't have to uproot their lives as well.

Debbie S
06-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Most skating rinks in the U.S. are NHL-size. Sometimes in a multi-rink facility, one of the rinks will be Oly-size. Newer NHL rinks (those built in the mid-90s or later) are the same length (200 feet) as Oly rinks. The only difference is the width (85 feet vs 100 feet). Most skating comps outside the Olys are on NHL-size rinks. At the Olys, the skaters do get quite a bit of practice time, so they have a chance to adjust to the wider surface.

I would think it would be more of an adjustment to train regularly at an Oly-size rink and then go to Nats, Worlds, GP events, etc and have to adjust to a smaller size - skaters would run into the boards.

purple skates
06-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Canton's rinks are both NHL. The only Olympic sized rinks on this side of town are at Compuware and Ann Arbor. I don't know about east side rinks.

Novi is a nice facility, although it does have a very very strong/active youth hockey association. I would assume, though, that most of Igor's ice would be during the day.

Evilynn
06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Most skating rinks in the U.S. are NHL-size. Sometimes in a multi-rink facility, one of the rinks will be Oly-size. Newer NHL rinks (those built in the mid-90s or later) are the same length (200 feet) as Oly rinks. The only difference is the width (85 feet vs 100 feet). Most skating comps outside the Olys are on NHL-size rinks. At the Olys, the skaters do get quite a bit of practice time, so they have a chance to adjust to the wider surface.

Isn't that true in NA, but not nec. the rest of the world? I'm pretty sure almost all the European rinks are "olympic sized" (60x30m is the international standard AFAIK). I too assume it'd be harder to adapt from larger to smaller in figure skating though.

jenlyon60
06-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Isn't that true in NA, but not nec. the rest of the world? I'm pretty sure almost all the European rinks are "olympic sized" (60x30m is the international standard AFAIK). I too assume it'd be harder to adapt from larger to smaller in figure skating though.

What I've seen some coaches do when their skaters train on the larger Olympic-width rinks is to take a big wide magic marker and draw a line down the ice at about the 15-foot point. Also make sure that the students have a visual as to where it is. It's not perfect but it at least gives a rough approximation.

Cones would also work, but since often there's other skaters training on the ice at the same time, minimizing the use of cones can minimize the potential for injury of the other skaters.

ioana
06-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Isn't that true in NA, but not nec. the rest of the world? I'm pretty sure almost all the European rinks are "olympic sized" (60x30m is the international standard AFAIK).

Yes, to the best of my knowledge all other hockey leagues play on Olympic-sized rinks. I seem to remember this as a big to-do every Winter Oympics -and at one point NBC even had a graphic of a smaller rink inside an Olympic one to show how that impacts defensive coverage. Anyways, since most rinks are dependent on hockey programs for their survival, I think it's safe to say almost all major rinks outside North America are Olympic-sized.

ioana
06-15-2012, 04:04 PM
The great artists/musicians/dancers WORK on that part of their craft. They don't suddenly gain artistry by having "life experience," whatever that means. If the Shibs are to gain range and artistry, they have work on it. Being able to go on 1-1 dates doesn't help in that respect.

Really? Going on a date is basically working on your flirting ability. If you really think staring in front of a mirror and arching your back just so will mean you can do 'sultry'...We're not all Madison Hubbells, but Maia is visibly uncomfortable with Latin programs when it comes to the physical proximity required to pull them off convincingly.

She's Nathalie Portman in Black Swan when she could only to 'white.' Very technically proficient, but too goody-goody for some program themes. Someone suggested abstract programs a while back, which would be a good starting point for them. As of right now, Latin and sexy themes are a weakness for them as a team.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-15-2012, 06:23 PM
In the beginning of their Samba section, I actually found Alex and Maia more natural as dancers in terms of movement than some of their competitors. For example, when J. Lo starts blasting, Meryl's posture and movement is very awkward. It reminded me of Tatiana Navka during the Austin Powers transition in terms of awkward, unconvincing movement.

Though I do agree that the Shibs have things they seriously need to work on if they want to continue being medal contenders, I think a lot of criticisms in this thread to be greatly exaggerated (I mean really...they have sheltered lives that mama Shib should be reported to social services? Yeah, I know it was an attempt at humor but the point is still made). I mean I actually find many ice dancers to be only slightly less one note in expression and interpretation, but lucky for them, it's a note that fans like.

arakwafan2006
06-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Er, the partiers I knew were terrible artists. Although there was that one guy in college who could party one night and take an organic chemistry test the next morning and ace it, and be the solo violinist for the orchestra recital a few days later. But he's a freak and the kind of guy who makes you wonder if you're worthy of using the earth's oxygen. :lol: It certainly isn't typical!

The great artists/musicians/dancers WORK on that part of their craft. They don't suddenly gain artistry by having "life experience," whatever that means. If the Shibs are to gain range and artistry, they have work on it. Being able to go on 1-1 dates doesn't help in that respect.

I was often the best artist in my life drawing classes years ago, sensual curves and shading everywhere, and up to that point the only naked men I had seen in person were in those life drawing classes. :P

I agree. I dont know why a parent who is more conservative in her child rearing is being made to look like she hindered her daughter's career. Slutty looking skaters are not the only ones who can dance... While i do think Maia appears juvenile, i also think she should. She is only 17 years old.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Plus, who are all these skaters that have such active social lives? I know they aren't all sheltered and do have time to have fun, but I would think many of the top skaters are scheduling their lives around training for Sochi on top of school or other obligations, so they don't have as much time as other people in their own age-range to have such a life.

manhn
06-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Also, these skaters (esp. the top tier levels) are traveling the world and being exposed to different cultures. When I was Maia's age, I went to school in my pajamas, worked at a grocery store, and drank at clubs. Poor Maia and her sheltered life that she's missing out.

missysays
06-15-2012, 06:46 PM
In the beginning of their Samba section, I actually found Alex and Maia more natural as dancers in terms of movement than some of their competitors. For example, when J. Lo starts blasting, Meryl's posture and movement is very awkward. It reminded me of Tatiana Navka during the Austin Powers transition in terms of awkward, unconvincing movement.

Though I do agree that the Shibs have things they seriously need to work on if they want to continue being medal contenders, I think a lot of criticisms in this thread to be greatly exaggerated (I mean really...they have sheltered lives that mama Shib should be reported to social services? Yeah, I know it was an attempt at humor but the point is still made). I mean I actually find many ice dancers to be only slightly less one note in expression and interpretation, but lucky for them, it's a note that fans like.

This!

What their past programs show me is that they have very natural movement on the ice and that they also have a bit of fire in their expression that goes along with their clean beautiful lines. What I loved about their SD this last season was they showed me that they could dig deep and really step up the level of their expression. That along with their technical facility with their blades will keep them contenders for a long time to come.

The one thing they need to continue to invest in is interesting choreographic and conceptual programs. I liked that they were able to work with an outside choreographer and performance coach in Corky Ballas last season. I hope they continue to reach out to other creative forces as they shape and develop programs over the next seasons.

ioana
06-15-2012, 07:12 PM
In the beginning of their Samba section, I actually found Alex and Maia more natural as dancers in terms of movement than some of their competitors.

Heh, must file that one under YMMV. To me, the whole beginning section looked like a very lenghty exercise in avoiding a suggestive pull-in like this one (http://aliveontheshelves.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/tango-ii.jpg). She kept turning sideways any time it looked like they might end up facing each other too closely. I get that's not the only way to interpret a samba, but to me she looked uncomfortable the whole dance -with the idea of being close to her partner not in terms of skating ability.

As far as everything else goes, there's a big difference between not having enough time to go out on a date and not being *allowed* to.