PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus, anyone?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

essence_of_soy
06-12-2012, 03:01 AM
I loved the Alien series, but word on the street is that this prequel is a muddled (though spectacular looking) mess.

Planning to see it tonight as it's tight wad Tuesday.

olympic
06-12-2012, 04:19 AM
I loved the Alien series, but word on the street is that this prequel is a muddled (though spectacular looking) mess.

Planning to see it tonight as it's tight wad Tuesday.

75% rating on Rotten Tomatoes last time I looked. Doesn't sound too bad to me. But, it probably pales in comparison to 'Alien' or 'Aliens' at least

Holley Calmes
06-12-2012, 04:21 AM
I heard the first HOUR was a snooze. That's taking a long time for development of characters and plot!

agalisgv
06-12-2012, 06:25 AM
I didn't find any of it boring and thought it was pretty well done.

I would give it a 7 out of 10.

The movie attempted to be more than just a prequel--it wanted to be a stand alone movie that didn't just end where Alien started. And I would say they succeeded greatly there. The movie is set-up for a sequel to the prequel--Prometheus 2. If it continues where Prometheus leaves off, I would be the first in line to buy a ticket for it.

This movie is concerned with "big" questions--who are we as humans? Where are our origins? Is there a God, and if so, what is the nature of that God--vengeful or loving? If we were to meet God, what would we say/do?

So as a stand alone movie, this is classic Ridley Scott--using sci-fi to ask/address the larger questions confronting our human condition.

Some have said no new ground is charted in this movie, but I disagree. I think it was well done, and provocative.

My quibbles with it were some plot points in the original Alien movie don't mesh well with Prometheus. Again, understandable given the movie wasn't trying to solely set-up the Alien franchise. But I thought more smoothing could have been done there.

Also, I didn't understand the opening sequence. If someone has watched the movie and has a take on that, I'd love to hear it.

The movie has two strong female leads--Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron. I liked Theron's character in the beginning, but felt she lost her purpose later on. I didn't care for Rapace in the beginning, but thought she was compelling by the end. The two scientists that got separated from the group I thought were weak. But the rest of the cast was very strong IMO.

And visually, I thought it was very well done.

This has action in it, but at its heart, it's a thinking movie. And this movie gives you a lot to think about.

I recommend it :)

Mayra
06-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Also, I didn't understand the opening sequence. If someone has watched the movie and has a take on that, I'd love to hear it.

Spoilers?

I assumed the opening scene was happening on earth. My take? It showed the beginning of our creation.

The "engineer" was either placed on earth by other engineers/the mothership with the intent to spread their DNA/cells and create new life, or he went rogue and decided to take matters into his own hands and sacrificed himself with the intent to create new life form.

If it's the first, one could assume that the alien weapons created have now turned on their species and they are slowly going extinct, thus the need to repopulate in another planet.

The second falls more in line with the concept of Prometheus in Greek mythology IMO.

ITA with you re: Rapace and Theron. IMO Michael Fassbender as David the android was :respec:

My question is, why did David infect Holloway?

agalisgv
06-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Fassbender was amazing--strongest performance by far IMO.

My sense with David infecting Holloway was two things:

1) He wanted to see if his theory about liquid was true--a weapon to destroy humans.

2) That entire sequence was a debate/discussion on the relationship of the created to the creator(s). So as the creators/engineers appeared to be exercising their abilities to destroy their creation (humans), the created were exercising their abilities to destroy their creator (in this case, the synthetic life form destroying its human creator).

Thanks for the explanation of the opening scene. For some reason, I assumed it took place on an alien planet, and I assumed the drink he ingested was part of some ceremonial rite that went horribly wrong. Just didn't make sense to me.

Mayra
06-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the explanation of the opening scene. For some reason, I assumed it took place on an alien planet, and I assumed the drink he ingested was part of some ceremonial rite that went horribly wrong. Just didn't make sense to me.

Who knows what Ridley Scott was going for in that scene, but that was my take on it. I enjoyed the movie, but I left with more questions than I had answers! :rofl:

agalisgv
06-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Who knows what Ridley Scott was going for in that scene, but that was my take on it. Certainly makes sense and fits with the rest of the movie.
I enjoyed the movie, but I left with more questions than I had answers! :rofl: I think that was what he was going for, and in that respect, he was incredibly successful :saint:.

Here's another question I had: When the spaceship is taking off, you can see the pilot chair rise from the floor, and it's clearly the chair you see in Alien. But in Alien, there was a captain sitting in the chair that had something burst out of it. When the engineer sat down in the chair and put on his mask, I thought they set-up the Alien scene quite well. But then after the spaceship crashes, supposedly the engineer removes his mask and goes after Shaw/Rapace to destroy her, and he ends up killed by that other beast.

So how is that supposed to line up with the scene in Alien? It's like they had the set-up done, but then switched gears so it no longer works.

The other I didn't understand was if the biological weapon was simply supposed to destroy humans, or create another life? If just the former, what was with all those slithering creatures anyway? How were they connected to the liquid?

Finally, how is it that a squid-like creature is removed from Shaw/Rapace, but when it infects the engineer, it turns into an alien-like creature? There were too many life forms floating around that didn't make sense to me, and I couldn't understand their relationship to each other.

Thanks for any insights :)

Marlowe
06-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Who knows what Ridley Scott was going for in that scene, but that was my take on it. I enjoyed the movie, but I left with more questions than I had answers! :rofl:

That's what I thought too. But I didn't understand that until somewhere midway in the film. Wish I could remember when it suddenly made sense to me. I pretty much agree actually with everything you and agalisgv have had to say so far. I saw the film today and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the kind of film that makes for a perfect matinee - it's been a while since I've seen a Sci Fi film and this one did not disappoint me. I too am intrigued by the questions it asked and by the promise of a sequel.

Anita18
06-12-2012, 08:03 AM
I WISH I could see this (I'm such a wuss about gore! :o ) and join in on the discussion, but all I can do is read spoilers and go ":mad: These are the stupidest scientists EVER!!! :mad: :lol: "

agalisgv
06-12-2012, 08:08 AM
It's really not gory. I hate gore, so that would have been a definite turn-off for me.

Anita18
06-12-2012, 08:22 AM
It's really not gory. I hate gore, so that would have been a definite turn-off for me.
Really? I had grown men telling me there was a scene in the middle involving Ms. Rapace (of course I know what happens in it ;) ) that made them want to hurl. :lol:

agalisgv
06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
It looked like it would be mega-gross, but in fact all you saw was a very narrow incision with red outline. No blood gushing, no internal organs, etc. She actually was bloodier from just running around the place.

susan6
06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
The moon that Prometheus takes place on is not the same as the one investigated in Alien. (I think one is LV-426 and one is LV-422 or something.) So the engineer that has obviously fallen prey to a chestburster is a different engineer than the one in Prometheus.

As for all the weird creatures produced by the engineer's weapon....that black goo merges with the DNA of whatever living thing touches it, and a bunch of mutations also occur from generation to generation. So from worms you get weird snake-like things; from humans, you get something else; from engineers, you get something else....(In the very beginning of the movie, apparently you can get something like humans from engineers under the right circumstances)

agalisgv
06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Ooh thanks!
The moon that Prometheus takes place on is not the same as the one investigated in Alien. (I think one is LV-426 and one is LV-422 or something.) So the engineer that has obviously fallen prey to a chestburster is a different engineer than the one in Prometheus. I didn't catch that--interesting.
As for all the weird creatures produced by the engineer's weapon....that black goo merges with the DNA of whatever living thing touches it, and a bunch of mutations also occur from generation to generation. So from worms you get weird snake-like things; from humans, you get something else; from engineers, you get something else....(In the very beginning of the movie, apparently you can get something like humans from engineers under the right circumstances)
That's what doesn't make sense to me. If you want to wipe out a species, why not just infect them with a deadly virus rather than have to create some complicated xenomorph that can merge with host DNA to create something creepy that after maturation could eventually kill humans? It's like ridiculously more difficult and complicated to do, for no good purpose. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyhow, your responses made me do a quick google search, and apparently there's a forum dedicated to answering questions from Prometheus.

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/1384/lv-426-derelict-departed-lv-223-en-route-to-earth-2000-years-ago-alienprometheus-timeline-theory/p1

The elaborate explanations they give make me think these are probably just plot holes, and Prometheus should likely not be examined too closely in relation to Alien.