PDA

View Full Version : TRUE BLOOD Discussion -- Fifth Time's The Charm?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Evilynn
08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I have to say I'm majorly impressed with Ryan Kwanten. I always assumed he was hired on looks alone, but he's been doing some fantastic acting this season. Who knew Jason'd end up as one of the characters I care about most?

Despite a lot of subplots I could've done without, I still think season 5 has been better than season 4. I'm pretty damned sure Beel will end up all Good Guy again, although I fervently hope he won't!

screech
08-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I find the Bill hate amusing.
It's obvious they are going to end up together. And I think that is right.
I love Eric but I don't think he ever really loved Sookie. Despite everything that Bill has done, I do believe he loves Sookie.
Plus this show this season is the best it has been since almost Season One. It is smaller and way more grounded. The super stuff was getting way ridiculous and I would love to forget the whole of season two.
But a, looking forward to the whole thing wrapping up. I am assuming that this is all an act of Bill's but who knows.Sad that he killed Molly. But I think he felt he had no choice. These people are in the power seat. They have to wait for the right moment which I believe is them turning on each other which is starting to happen.
Alcide is boring the crap out of me though. Glad he and Sookie did not manage to do the deed. I never got those two as a couple.
Glad the Afrit story is over too It was well acted but I was done with it a while ago.

Seriously? Even Stephen Moyer has admitted that Bill has raped Sookie. Maybe he really did/does love her, but the lies and schemes he's pulled are far worse than anything Eric has ever done to her.

No, Eric isn't the kind of guy who constantly swoons over a girl and repeatedly tells her he loves her. But his actions speak much louder. Bill is all talk. Eric proves it with what he does.

I kinda hope Nora doesn't die in the finale. I like her! She was kind of annoying when she was all brainwashed, but I think she's kinda awesome. And I enjoy her scenes with Eric (it probably doesn't hurt that a couple of times since January the two actors have been rumored to be together).

IMO there's no forgiving Bill for a lot of what he's done - the Jason things, the smacking Jessica around, the sanguinista movement... everything! Plus, he's always been like that, if the flashback to Pam's turning is anything to go by.

pixie cut
08-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Seriously? Even Stephen Moyer has admitted that Bill has raped Sookie.

Where did he admit it and when did he do it? In the book it was very clear, but in the TV series I haven't seen it.

He's definitely lied, manipulated and betrayed. No debates on that.

chantilly
08-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Where did he admit it and when did he do it? In the book it was very clear, but in the TV series I haven't seen it.

He's definitely lied, manipulated and betrayed. No debates on that.

Honestly I don't remember it as rape at all. But that was five seasons ago. I don't read the books. But Eric also lied, manipulated and betrayed. Just because it is the way he always has been doesn't excuse his behavior.
The whole sanguinista thing I can forgive because it is like an addiction. And he had a job to do when he met Sookie. He fell in love with her after the fact. Plus it is a tv show and pretty soapy. It isn't real life. Personally I am not the biggest Sookie fan. I kind of hate how every male character is in log with her. But I do think Bill truly loves her. I'm not sure about Eric. Plus I think he has amazing chemistry with Nora. I didn't like her on the blood either but now she has broken free and in her first scene I liked her a lot.

screech
08-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Honestly I don't remember it as rape at all. But that was five seasons ago. I don't read the books. But Eric also lied, manipulated and betrayed. Just because it is the way he always has been doesn't excuse his behavior.
The whole sanguinista thing I can forgive because it is like an addiction. And he had a job to do when he met Sookie. He fell in love with her after the fact. Plus it is a tv show and pretty soapy. It isn't real life. Personally I am not the biggest Sookie fan. I kind of hate how every male character is in log with her. But I do think Bill truly loves her. I'm not sure about Eric. Plus I think he has amazing chemistry with Nora. I didn't like her on the blood either but now she has broken free and in her first scene I liked her a lot.

Stephen says (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/24/anna-paquin-stephen-moyer_n_267595.html) that the graveyard sex scene was rape. Also, there was once when she asked him not to bite her during sex, but he did anyways - fang rape.

The thing about vampirism is that it taps into a female point of view – you have an old-fashioned gentleman with manners who is a ****ing killer… it’s an interesting duality, because in our present society it would be an odd thing for a woman to say, ‘I want my man to be physical with me.’ How, as a modern man, can you ****ing work that? It’s one thing to be polite and gentle… But when do you know it’s OK to crawl out of the mud and rape her [as Bill does in one scene]?... It’s difficult stuff for a bloke, but a vampire gets away with it…. I think that’s the attraction of the show – it’s looking back at a romantic time when men were men, but they were still charming.”

As for Eric lying and manipulating - he has always owned up to it, without being pushed. The blood thing, yes, Bill told Sookie that Eric would have healed, but he didn't deny it. Plus he had just saved her life. He told her about the werewolves in season 3 the very next night after he lied about not knowing anything about them. He lied about not caring about her at Russell's mansion - but I think 1000 years of wanting something is worth a bit more. And he did manipulate her for the Russell situaiton at the end of season 3 (with the blood), but he didn't want to - Pam forced him, and also, Russell is 3000 years old. If Sookie's reactions were fake - if she was in on it - he would have known. Plus, Eric was trying to soothe her during it.

Bill raped her. He lied to her from the start of their relationship. He hid so many things from her (Jessica!). He manipulated her. He wanted to murder another vampire because Sookie was falling for him. And he almost drained her to death. Yes, he was in really rough shape at the time, but Eric has fed on her in really rough shape too and with not nearly the same result. Hell, when both Eric and Russell fed on her at the same time, the result wasn't as bad as when just Bill did. And they took it out of the show, but in the books when Bill is draining her in Mississippi, he also rapes her.

The sanguinista thing is an addiction, but Bill is making his own choices. He chose to slap his daughter across the room for not obeying his every word. He's also a power hungry twat.

Who would have though, in season 1, that Eric wold end up at this point being the moralistic one of the two?

pixie cut
08-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Unlike in the book, I always felt the graveyard scene on TV was vague as whether Sookie was in on the action. It wasn't played with the same aggression as the book version. And in season three AB has said he definitely left the rape out of the scene in the back of the van because he felt that would make Bill beyond redemption. Book Bill is kind of a morose character, but in the series he's been played as a romantic leading man. So now this evil turn seems all the more extreme because for four seasons he was kind of the noble one.

BigB08822
08-25-2012, 01:51 AM
If the season ends with all those fairies lining up and doing a Care Bear stare right at Russell I will just piss myself. That would be the corniest and most epic moment of the show all rolled into one. That fairy sure ended up being stupid but maybe she sacrificed herself only in this realm? Could be part of her plan, wouldn't really make sense to have someone like her get taken out so easily. Then again, Bill's behavior hasn't made one lick of sense all season either.

rfisher
08-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Frankly, this whole season hasn't made any sense. If next season continues in this vein, I'm finished with the show. The last 3-4 books haven't been as good as the earlier books, but they're better than the TV version. CH will end the series soon (maybe the next book) and that ending is going to be nothing like the TV show, not that I think the show will last more than a couple more seasons. Once Ball is gone, his shows typically tank in ratings and HBO pulls the plug. AB has a history of starting great then turning his shows into a confusing mishmash of weirdness.

pixie cut
08-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Frankly, this whole season hasn't made any sense. If next season continues in this vein, I'm finished with the show. The last 3-4 books haven't been as good as the earlier books, but they're better than the TV version. CH will end the series soon (maybe the next book) and that ending is going to be nothing like the TV show, not that I think the show will last more than a couple more seasons. Once Ball is gone, his shows typically tank in ratings and HBO pulls the plug. AB has a history of starting great then turning his shows into a confusing mishmash of weirdness.

I predict the TV show will have two more seasons. Seven years seems a good run for this show. Even if it's still relatively popular, it's already running out of gas. More than seven years will be too too much.

I thought Charlaine Harris already said the next book is the last. I was really disappointed with the last book. Time to wrap it up.

olympic
08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
I generally found this last season to be darker and cynical, less enjoyable due to the lack of humor (except Pam and Tara). But, I liked the last 2 episodes; everyone coming together as a team to fight the bad guys - or whatever you call it.

-The Pam and Tara exchange ending in a kiss :rofl:

-Poor Jessica will be so lonely: Bill has found religion, Hoyt left her life permanently, Jason wants nothing to do with her :(

-I'm glad that Russell died so unceremoniously. How did Erik kill him exactly? Same for that annoying redheaded vamp from Texas (and the way she went was great, too)

flutzilla1
08-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Wow, that was a very interesting finale.

Russell's death was a bit anti-climatic. Was :( for Steve. They were a very entertaining duo. Steve sure doesn't seem to be having a lot of luck in the love dept....

"That truck has already sailed"....Jason has had some of the best lines this season. :D

I was stunned when Bill 'died' -- now he's a demon? A monster? "Billith"? Either way, after all the things he said to Sookie, and all his hideous actions this season, there is NO WAY the writers can possibly justify getting those two back together. I would even go so far as to wager that DemonBeehl will not live out the next season. I would be lying if I said that would make me sad...:D In other news, I saw that Stephen Moyer is going to be in a thriller/horror movie about the Jersey Devil/Barrens. It's not my type of movie but I have to say that from the previews he looks like he does an amazing job. I SO prefer him with his real accent too.

Not happy about Nora still being around. Was hoping she'd get staked by DemonBeehl, but alas no. :blah:

Pam and Tara -- all I can say is :cheer:

Poor Andy....

And will we EVER find out who the (&*$% Warlow is?

skipaway
08-27-2012, 03:52 PM
-I'm glad that Russell died so unceremoniously. How did Erik kill him exactly? Same for that annoying redheaded vamp from Texas (and the way she went was great, too)

I think the Fairy Queen did it by sacrificing herself. All those bright fairy lights that erupted from Russell was probably her. Eric just happened to be there.

pixie cut
08-27-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm really pleased that all the predictions about Bill emerging as the hero in the finale were incorrect. It was Eric who behaved heroically. But WTF is Billith going to be in season six? It's like now he's the boogieman.

Cachoo
08-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I am wondering how they will reconcile human and vampire relations after the mess that Billith and friends made. And whatever Bill is---I suspect he is powerful. Jason is a hoot and has been good all season. I think Kwanten is more than just his looks. I don't read the books so I don't care if they follow the same path. I think this might be my favorite season in the series. With all of his contradictions and good looks Eric might be one of the sexiest if not the sexiest character on tv right now. I hope he is sticking around.

olympic
08-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Oh, the whole Fairy birth scene was :rofl: Was the consumption of Salt supposed to mean something? The random drunk woman at Merlotte's just added to the :rofl:

I'm really pleased that all the predictions about Bill emerging as the hero in the finale were incorrect. It was Eric who behaved heroically. But WTF is Billith going to be in season six? It's like now he's the boogieman.

I think it will hinge on how exactly Lilith appeared this season. Doesn't Lilith normally appear out of a Sea of Blood? In New Orleans, she appeared when during the feeding frenzy at the Karaoke Bar. But, then again, I don't recall her appearing out of blood around the Authority's HQ. To give the series continuity and consistency, they'll have to make Bill appear as Lilith did. Also, what extra powers did Lilith have as opposed to the normal, say, 3000 yr. old Vampire?? Is she an all-powerful deity? Any weaknesses? I guess it will be played out next season