PDA

View Full Version : TRUE BLOOD Discussion -- Fifth Time's The Charm?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

screech
08-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Richard and I started watching TB, and we are almost through with season 2. I find it compelling and repelling, with some brilliant wit and some really poorly delivered tripe. But I admit to being hooked! I do think the gore is more than I can handle. But some of the stuff they throw in is so damned funny.....I think my husband has a crush on Sooki (yawn) but I think Eric is hot hot hot! And I am deeply in love with Layfayette. I don't see his name here on Season 5. Should I be worried?

Lafayette is very much still a major character, and I agree, Nelsan Ellis (who plays him) is brilliant! Which is the reason they didn't kill off his character in the show (in the books it's his body who's found in Andy's car, not the voodoo woman's. They kept Lala alive in the show because of the amazing portrayal).

Holley Calmes
08-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Oh good! Lafayette is still around then. Ellis is by far one of the best actors on the show. He created a real person, at least to me. One thing I do think they captured was the very real feeling of something supernatural and strange in Louisiana. It's real! I've spent a lot of time there. Maybe it's the voodoo underground. You can feel it. I always feel a little "off" when I go to Louisiana. They should shoot a chapter up at the Myrtles upriver from NO. The most haunted house in America!

olympic
08-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Oh good! Lafayette is still around then. Ellis is by far one of the best actors on the show. He created a real person, at least to me. One thing I do think they captured was the very real feeling of something supernatural and strange in Louisiana. It's real! I've spent a lot of time there. Maybe it's the voodoo underground. You can feel it. I always feel a little "off" when I go to Louisiana. They should shoot a chapter up at the Myrtles upriver from NO. The most haunted house in America!

I'm glad you said something. Maybe it's the mystical part of southern culture, because I felt the same way in Charleston, SC and Savannah. I just recall walking the streets of Charleston at night and felt like I was being 'watched' ... scared like a child, yet I'm 40 yrs. old!

Holley Calmes
08-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Well, Charleston has voodoo as well. The Gullah culture is close by and Charleston was a major port for bringing in Africans from, I think, the 17th century. I feel the same as you about Charleston-something dark, tragic, sensual....and very much the same feeling as Lousiana. I don't think it's particularly a southern thing. Atlanta doesn't have that feel. Nor do most parts of North Carolina or Tennessee to me, although upstate South Carolina carried something with it. Mostly it's coastal. Savannah is just downright spooky at all times. No idea why. But panhandle Florida doesn't have that feel to me, nor the beautiful areas around Mobile Bay. My Dad grew up in Daphne and Fairhope, Alabama, and I visit often. Not the same feel at all. I don't know about Mississippi. But certainly Panama City, Appalachicola and other panhandle cities are vacant of anything undercurrent-ish to me. But that's just me. I did catch a feeling of something at an old mansion just north of Seaside, Florida. And Marianna, FL a bit. I do believe the slaves brought their religious/cultural traditions with them, and some are very dark. I'm no expert, but I know enough to know that I avoid all the voodoo shops in New Orleans! Also, think "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." That was very Hollywood-ed up, but Savannah definitely has that "brink of doom," languid feeling.

DarrellH
08-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I loved the part with Hoyt last night.

pixie cut
08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I loved the part with Hoyt last night.

While I loved how Jason and Jessica played it, I wanted someone to slap Hoyt and say, "Life involves pain. You can't truly enjoy the good times without the bad." Obviously, Hoyt and his life were secondary to having Jason's moment of drama, but still. :(

AliasJohnDoe
08-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Regarding the Hoyt storyline: Seeing Jason break down and cry in his car was one of the best TB scenes in a long time. Watching Sookie console him just tugged at my heart. That usually doesn't happen to me when I watch TB. It was my favorite scene of the whole series to date.

rfisher
08-14-2012, 02:22 AM
For the most part, TB has jumped the proverbial shark for me this season. No discernable plot; just a mishmash of scenes. The writing has been terrible, with a few exceptions, and Ball has too many threads they've tried to follow. I've been DVRing the episodes and watching later. They are so far from the books it's non-existent and I could be fine with that if there was a coherent story line. I'm a huge fan of Longmier and the TV show has been really altered from the books, but the writing and acting are so good, it doesn't matter. If TB begins this way next season, I'll quit watching all together.

screech
08-14-2012, 05:11 PM
I cried during the Hoyt bits. So well done by all 3 of them. And Ryan Kwanten was absolutely amazing.

Alexander Skarsgard did a brilliant job with the emotions this episode too - his expressions and reactions during the Godric bits were outstanding. And his acting is pretty subtle, but you can usually tell when he's playing someone, so it's obvious that Eric is not on Lilith's side (and I think Nora's finally with him now). And I think Russell knows - the way Eric spoke to him was very similar to how he was with him in season 3, so I think they made kind of a pact or something there.

And Andy and Holly were adorable too!

Tara is finally amazing! Loving her now. But kind of confused as to why she and Pam are suddenly so chummy - I get that they're kind of stuck together, but they hated each other just weeks ago, and now they're both refusing to let anything separate them. But Tara's "I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no vampire babies!" Line was hilarious! And GINGER!!! Love to see her, and for her to be useful, and for her reaction to dead vampire to still be the exact same as in season 1.

flutzilla1
08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Alexander Skarsgard did a brilliant job with the emotions this episode too - his expressions and reactions during the Godric bits were outstanding. And his acting is pretty subtle, but you can usually tell when he's playing someone, so it's obvious that Eric is not on Lilith's side (and I think Nora's finally with him now). And I think Russell knows - the way Eric spoke to him was very similar to how he was with him in season 3, so I think they made kind of a pact or something there.

I definitely think Eric is playing the Authority AND his sister -- I think Nora is so deluded that there is no hope for her -- look at how different their reactions were during the whole hallucination and even afterwards. I am also EXTREMELY peeved that Molly, a character almost everyone liked, got staked and Nora, a character almost everyone hates, is still 'alive'. Booo!

LOVE Russell and Steve's dynamic together. The Reverend is quickly becoming my favorite character on the show.

Well, it's pretty obvious Bill is NOT Warlow because of the date on the document (drat, that would have eliminated any chance of a Beehl/Sookie reunion). Is it Russell? Some new person? Who knows? Will we ever find out?

screech
08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
I definitely think Eric is playing the Authority AND his sister -- I think Nora is so deluded that there is no hope for her -- look at how different their reactions were during the whole hallucination and even afterwards. I am also EXTREMELY peeved that Molly, a character almost everyone liked, got staked and Nora, a character almost everyone hates, is still 'alive'. Booo!

LOVE Russell and Steve's dynamic together. The Reverend is quickly becoming my favorite character on the show.

Well, it's pretty obvious Bill is NOT Warlow because of the date on the document (drat, that would have eliminated any chance of a Beehl/Sookie reunion). Is it Russell? Some new person? Who knows? Will we ever find out?
The reason I think Nora is now on Eric's side is because she was acting a bit different afterwards when Eric was saying he was now converted. She seemed much more 'together'. Plus she saw Lilith murder Godric, after she begged for her to show mercy on him.

As for Steve, when I met Michael McMillian at Comic Con I told him that Steve was the best part of season 5, and he should have been invited to do the Comic Con panel. His response was to say 'you need to tell them that!!' And he thanked me, of course.

topaz
08-17-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm so happy the Hoyt storyline is ovah.

I was never a fan of the hoyt/jessica storyline. It was doomed from the start in my opinion. Both have way too much living and learning to do.

Hoyt this season was beyond pathetic.

My favorite storyline this season has been Pam/Tara. The storyline I dreaded the most is the best of the season. More tv an storylines with those two.

I've already resigned myself to "Bill saving the day and Sookie" by the end of the season.:rolleyes:

chantilly
08-19-2012, 07:31 PM
I find the Bill hate amusing.
It's obvious they are going to end up together. And I think that is right.
I love Eric but I don't think he ever really loved Sookie. Despite everything that Bill has done, I do believe he loves Sookie.
Plus this show this season is the best it has been since almost Season One. It is smaller and way more grounded. The super stuff was getting way ridiculous and I would love to forget the whole of season two.
But a, looking forward to the whole thing wrapping up. I am assuming that this is all an act of Bill's but who knows.Sad that he killed Molly. But I think he felt he had no choice. These people are in the power seat. They have to wait for the right moment which I believe is them turning on each other which is starting to happen.
Alcide is boring the crap out of me though. Glad he and Sookie did not manage to do the deed. I never got those two as a couple.
Glad the Afrit story is over too It was well acted but I was done with it a while ago.

pixie cut
08-20-2012, 01:38 PM
I feel about this season of True Blood the way I felt about book five: it kind of sucks, but it will thankfully be over soon and hopefully the next one will be better.

flutzilla1
08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
I loathe Bill, but even I was surprised when he smacked Jessica. And doesn't he owe Jason a debt or something from like 3 seasons ago, but he's ready to throw him under the bus now? After tonight's episode it's very clear he completely believes what he is selling, and this is not part of some 'master plan' to trick the Authority, or whatnot. Ugh. There is no conceivable way his character can be redeemed now IMO. Eric has certainly done some stupid things this season (killing the General, even though it was for the purpose to get out), but at least he got out and seems to be heading in the direction of helping Sookie and co.

Still LOVE Steve and Russell together. Sad because I know that they both can't possibly make it out in one piece this season. Will really miss their scenes together.....:(

I still don't like Nora. She got off waaaaaayyy too easy in this whole thing IMO. Still mad that she is 'alive' and Molly is not. :mad: