PDA

View Full Version : The Five Worst Food Network Shows

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jenny
06-11-2012, 02:23 PM
The Five Worst Food Network Shows (http://www.aoltv.com/2010/11/14/the-five-worst-food-network-shows/) - do you agree?

Saw this on Facebook, where someone commented that the Food Network had become the Game Show network, and I have to agree. Beyond the novelty of the original Iron Chef series years ago, I don't like food competitions at all, nor the manufactured drama of food reality shows. I very rarely watch the Food Network, which is saying something because I love to cook and I spend a lot of time reading about food. (Ditto HGTV and similar networks/shows.)

PS - the author of this article likes Sandy :P

Skittl1321
06-11-2012, 03:20 PM
She loses all credibility by saying Semi-homemade is a great show.
Yeah, people make crap like that in their homes all the time. But I don't need to learn how to open a gravy packet and stir in water...

I don't have cable right now, so I don't watch Food Network anymore- but two of the shows she names are among my favorites: Private Chefs of Beverly Hills, Dinner Impossible.

emason
06-11-2012, 03:48 PM
I, for one, don't agree at all. This is called The Food Network, not The Cooking Network. For people who want shows about cooking, the folks behind FN created a sister network, The Cooking Channel.

I tune into FN to be entertained and, for example, I find Guy Fieri eating his way across America in one Diner, Drive-In and Dive after another to be highly entertaining. Love Chopped, love Cupcake Wars, love Search for the Next Food Network Star. I'm in it for the mindless entertainment.

michiruwater
06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
I absolutely agree that this article loses all credibility by not only not including Sandra Lee, but by actually liking her.

Cachoo
06-11-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't have a problem with Melissa or Anne or their shows. I am not a chef--not even close. There are dishes Anne does that I've never seen before and I'm interested. Also going after Melissa seems to be because she (the reporter) supports Sandy and her meals-on-a-budget show. What is more compelling about Melissa is that she was selected by a voter-driven contest with an idea for making meals on a budget. I feel like Sandy copied Melissa.

Jenny
06-11-2012, 04:06 PM
I find Guy Fieri eating his way across America in one Diner, Drive-In and Dive after another to be highly entertaining.

I love that show - it's entertaining, but also showcases a lot of great cooks, dishes and restaurants, with recipes, tips and ideas. Feelings on Guy Fieri seem to be mixed out there, but I think he's a great host - knows his stuff, and clearly loves to cook and eat.

michiruwater
06-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I feel like any time I mention the Food Network, everyone starts talking at once about how much they love Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, or any time I plan a trip with a group, one person undoubtedly will send us a link to when Guy went to that area so we can check out the places he went to :lol:

KHenry14
06-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Melissa seems to get by because people just like her personally. But her show is just boring to me. And I understand the frustration of too many cooking competition shows, but that's precisely why the Cooking Network was established.

My issue with the reality/competition shows is that too many of them are too similar, or derivative. Irvine's "Restaurant Impossible" is a rip off of Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares" for example. And there are too many cupcake/cake baking shows IMO. But Iron Chef America and Chopped are excellent competition shows, so there is some value there.

I think FN is struggling to find a balance between competition/reality and actual cooking. For example, Food Network Star winners get their show...on Sunday morning. Hardly a ratings winning time slot. It's hard to grow a show from there if you ask me.

But with all that's going on with the Network, I am still watching it a lot.

KHenry14
06-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I feel like any time I mention the Food Network, everyone starts talking at once about how much they love Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, or any time I plan a trip with a group, one person undoubtedly will send us a link to when Guy went to that area so we can check out the places he went to :lol:

Ha, we do that all the time. Just last weekend BrokenAnkle and I were in San Diego and went here: http://www.hobnobhill.com/ precisely because it was on DDD.

I'm now up to having visited 10 DDD restaurants, and only two were only OK, the other's were all outstanding.

Fridge_Break
06-11-2012, 04:30 PM
I watch Chopped and Cupcake Wars all the time when they are on, even the reruns. They're innovative and bring out lots of creativity from the contestants, and I like that. I haven't gotten much into the "Next Food Network Star," but will watch an episode if it's on and I don't have anything else to do. Worst Cooks in America simply had me in massive fits of laughter every single week... I'm up and down on Restaurant: Impossible. I don't like how Robert treats some of the people he is trying to help, and for some reason I just don't believe they actually turn around the entire restaurant in just 2 days as the show says they do. DDD is a classic, and is a fun one to have on while you're eating dinner yourself.

I guess what I'm saying is that I like anything that's on the Food Network :lol: It's easily the most-watched channel in my apartment. :P

manhn
06-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I find networks like Food Network or HGTV are subjected to these huge standards where every hour of airtime they have to fill somehow has to be good. We don't have those standards for the regular networks--or even overrated-they-win-too-many-damn-Emmys-networks like HBO.

At least for me, unlike those other networks, I turn on the tv after work (yes, I am one of those people) and will switch to Food Network or HGTV and have it on the background while I cook, eat, wash dishes, do laundry, vaccuum, etc. This is especially true in the summer time when we're in rerun hell. Watching my skating dvds is my other option.

If you're like me who just randomly watches the Food Network, you may come across shows that really irritate you--and given the way you view the network, it may be tougher to just "ignore" that specific show or host. And there is no question that the network has changed over the years. I too do not care for any of the competition shows. I must say that I probably tend to favour HGTV over Food Network these days. Love those House Hunter shows!

That said, still some excellent programming on the Food Network: Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Eat St., You Gotta Eat Here, The Weirdest Restaurants in the World, and The Best Thing I Ever Ate. I love those travelogue shows.

Scintillation
06-11-2012, 04:40 PM
My coworkers and I are trying to visit all of the places DDD has hit in the area, and pretty much every single one has been awesome. I love watching that show, and I don't care for Guy Fieri at all.
Also I lost all respect for this lady when she named "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" as one of the worst and said Semi-Ho is one of her faves. Anne's Tony the Tiger persona is grating but she does give some useful tips and can actually cook. I can't say the same for Sandy.

skatesindreams
06-11-2012, 05:02 PM
FN and The Cooking Channel have different purposes/audiences, as stated upthread.
There is a place for both of them, IMO.

While Guy Fieri may not be a trained chef, he has a good working knowledge of technique, and knows how to share it - even on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

The only FN show I won't watch is anything with Sandra Lee.
I've had enough of her.
The "average" home cook makes better dishes than she does.
To pretend otherwise is ridiculous, IMO.
I don't understand why she's still on-air

Jenny
06-11-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't think the Cooking Channel is available in Canada, at least not on regular cable. Sounds like a lot of the shows are picked up from Canada's Food Network and other countries though.

milanessa
06-11-2012, 05:17 PM
That said, still some excellent programming on the Food Network: Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Eat St., You Gotta Eat Here, The Weirdest Restaurants in the World, and The Best Thing I Ever Ate. I love those travelogue shows.

The Weirdest Restaurants in the World is on FN? Never heard of it and can't find it on their US site. Maybe it's only in Canada?