PDA

View Full Version : The Five Worst Food Network Shows

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Cachoo
06-11-2012, 05:27 PM
I realize I am talking about the Cooking Network but I found the show called "The Supersizers" funny and fascinating. In the same vein I also enjoy "Foodography" from time to time too. I enjoy how food fits into our social/political history.

michiruwater
06-11-2012, 05:28 PM
I hate Iron Chef America. I vastly preferred the original Iron Chef and I hate that they never show it anymore in favor of ICA. The chefs on the original were better chefs, IMO, and the food a lot more interesting. Plus I loved, loved, loved the actor who played the Chairman in the original.

jenlyon60
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I, for one, don't agree at all. This is called The Food Network, not The Cooking Network. For people who want shows about cooking, the folks behind FN created a sister network, The Cooking Channel.

Except that now the "Cooking Channel" seems to be replacing cooking shows with other "chefs going to restaurants and tasting different menu items" type of shows.

So basically Cooking Channel is becoming Food Network 2, not Cooking Channel as it was when it was launched the other year.

Skittl1321
06-11-2012, 05:33 PM
I want to note that Restaurant Impossible is not the same as Dinner Impossible. R.I. isn't a very good show, it is way too contrived.

D.I. has some really clever challenges, IMO.

michiruwater
06-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Going from 12 PM (now) to 3 AM tonight, The Cooking Channel has the following divide:

Shows About Actually Cooking
Kelsey's Essentials (2)
French Food at Home
Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello
David Rocco's Dolce Vita
Everyday Italian (2)
Nigella Kitchen (2)
Tyler's Ultimate
Chuck's Day Off
Symon's Suppers

Shows About Food That Aren't About Cooking
Eat Street
Throwdown with Bobby Flay (I'm not sure where to put this, actually, but as it's not strictly a cooking show...)
Unique Eats (3)
Unwrapped
Iron Chef America (4)
Today's Special: NY Indian (2)
Unique Sweets (2)

The weird thing about it is that up until 6 PM, ever show was strictly a cooking show, and then after 6 PM every show was a typical 'Food Network' show. And in the AM, of course, it was just a ton of repeats - like 3 more episodes of ICA. I do think it's a shame that it ended up being a lot more foodie shows than I had expected. Food Network-type shows don't belong on The Cooking Channel. Maybe ones with actual cooking, like Throwdown or ICA to a certain extent, but definitely not Unique Eats. That is not a cooking show, it is a food show.

skatesindreams
06-11-2012, 05:47 PM
I, for one, don't agree at all. This is called The Food Network, not The Cooking Network. For people who want shows about cooking, the folks behind FN created a sister network, The Cooking Channel.

QUOTE]

Except that now the "Cooking Channel" seems to be replacing cooking shows with other "chefs going to restaurants and tasting different menu items" type of shows.

So basically Cooking Channel is becoming Food Network 2, not Cooking Channel as it was when it was launched the other year.

Like any network, they tailor their programming to what the viewer watches.
Does the audience want only "instructional" programs?

duane
06-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I've seen #1 and #2, and don't like either one. I've never seen 3, 4, or 5 and have no interest to, so in that regards I guess I agree with the list.

alchemy void
06-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Alcohol soaked Sandy has the most integrity and is the most well trained chef on Food Network! :cheer: :psoty:

KikiSashaFan
06-11-2012, 06:10 PM

I tune into FN to be entertained and, for example, I find Guy Fieri eating his way across America in one Diner, Drive-In and Dive after another to be highly entertaining. Love Chopped, love Cupcake Wars, love Search for the Next Food Network Star. I'm in it for the mindless entertainment.

Totally agree with this. I'm not much of a cook, I don't enjoy cooking, I make what's healthy and what I need to live and not much else. I love Chopped, Food Network Challenge, Food Network Star, Iron Chef, Best Thing I Ever Ate etc, but I get bored watching step by step cooking shows :yawn:

BittyBug
06-11-2012, 06:11 PM
She named Anne Burrell as one of the five worst? Ahead of chipmunk-cheeked Rachael Ray and Giada's boobs?

I love Anne Burrell. I've made a lot of her recipes and have used others as inspiration for my own riff on things. I went to cooking school, and I still find that some of Anne's tips provide useful information and/or good reminders. Anne's food is accessible, the show is fast-paced, and her enthusiasm is infectious. The author probably thinks the Olive Garden is haute cuisine and as far as I'm concerned she can go slather herself in mayonnaise and food coloring.

skatesindreams
06-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I get bored watching step by step cooking shows.

I enjoy watching/learning technique.
Even I don't want to watch only "instructional" shows, though.

skipaway
06-11-2012, 10:54 PM
The only FN show I won't watch is anything with Sandra Lee.
I've had enough of her.
The "average" home cook makes better dishes than she does.
To pretend otherwise is ridiculous, IMO.
I don't understand why she's still on-air

maybe b/c her boyfriend is Gov. Cuomo and the studios are in NYC. :sekret:

jenlyon60
06-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I enjoy watching/learning technique.
Even I don't want to watch only "instructional" shows, though.

Neither do I, but the channel seems to be gradually eliminating or minimizing the instructional shows in favor of ICA and Unique Eats etc.

michiruwater
06-11-2012, 11:06 PM
maybe b/c her boyfriend is Gov. Cuomo and the studios are in NYC. :sekret:

Or because she's popular. I know a lot of people who like her. It grosses me out, but they really do :lol:

Really
06-11-2012, 11:28 PM
That said, still some excellent programming on the Food Network: Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Eat St., You Gotta Eat Here, The Weirdest Restaurants in the World, and The Best Thing I Ever Ate. I love those travelogue shows.One of our favourite restaurants in Turner Valley, AB was featured on You Gotta Eat Here this past week (Chuckwagon Cafe). That place was already hugely busy on weekends; now it's going to be almost impossible to get in there! The Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict is to die for!

I enjoy Chopped, and sometimes I catch Sweet Genius, if only to see what kind of whacked-out last minute ingredient gets tossed at the competitors. I also like Eat St. and DDD.