PDA

View Full Version : Country Music And Gay Rights...Chely Wright and Carrie Underwood...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

kylet3
06-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Probably the religious fanatics in the states, they've been losing their minds, but she didn't retract or back track on her support of marriage equality. I think she's of the mind, that she stated her opinion, some people like what she says, some people don't but that she doesn't want to dwell on it and just get on with what she does and that's making music. I understand that, do I expect her to be on stage at any pride events any time soon? No, not in the least, but she's supported she believes in equality, and that's more than enough for me. I'll continue to keep buying her music for years to come :)

heckles
06-21-2012, 05:18 PM
There are old-school people in the country scene who don't like Carrie because went through American Idol, rather than Nashville, to get her recording contract. She'll never make those types happy anyway.

PeterG
06-21-2012, 09:11 PM
There are old-school people in the country scene who don't like Carrie because went through American Idol, rather than Nashville, to get her recording contract. She'll never make those types happy anyway.

I think there's only about 23 of them left, so she needn't worry. :lol:

heckles
06-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I think there's only about 23 of them left, so she needn't worry. :lol:

Might be a little more than that. I suspect that Faith Hill's little fit at the CMAs about Carrie's win was based on Carrie's "not-one-of-us" status. As if Faith Hill has a lot of room to talk about conforming to country traditions.

PeterG
06-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Might be a little more than that. I suspect that Faith Hill's little fit at the CMAs about Carrie's win was based on Carrie's "not-one-of-us" status. As if Faith Hill has a lot of room to talk about conforming to country traditions.

:lol: That was not a little fit. It was a joke. Hill knew the camera was on her when she had her "outburst" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyZRiEJnIag). I think the problem was that people don't think of Hill as a comedian, so they took her seriously. Which reminds me when Brooke Shields was a guest on the Tonight Show and as a joke, she tripped as she stepped onto the podium which had the host's desk and chair & sofa. She did it well enough to make Chevy Chase proud, but because no one was expecting silliness from Brooke, nobody left and just thought she was sad and clumsy. But I guess she had the last laugh with being the lead of the comedy series "Suddenly Susan" for four years. :)

heckles
06-22-2012, 04:00 PM
:lol: That was not a little fit. It was a joke.

Opinions vary as to whether it was a joke. Seemed to me, at best, only half-joking.

Regardless, there is a contingent in Nashville who believe that country music has to be written, recorded and promoted there. Carrie has appeased some of them by joining the Grand Ole Opry and otherwise country-fying herself, but some probably won't ever completely accept her.

Jenny
06-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Regardless, there is a contingent in Nashville who believe that country music has to be written, recorded and promoted there. Carrie has appeased some of them by joining the Grand Ole Opry and otherwise country-fying herself, but some probably won't ever completely accept her.

Maybe, but it doesn't seem to have hindered the huge success of Keith Urban and Shania Twain, who aren't even American. And Kenny Chesney doesn't seem to be suffering despite openly preferring the Caribbean to his home state of Tennessee.

heckles
06-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Maybe, but it doesn't seem to have hindered the huge success of Keith Urban and Shania Twain, who aren't even American.

Keith Urban gets away with it because middle-age women think he's hot, and he lives in Nashville now. Shania got away with it because she gave male fans plenty of up-skirt views, and because was with Mutt Lange. That don't impress me much.

snoopy
06-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't know anything about any music scene including Nashville's, so I looked up mutt and the first words to describe him were Zambian born british record producer now living in Switzerland. I guess the implication is that he was shanias in - in the recording industry period, because mutt certainly isn't Nashville.

PeterG
06-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Shania got away with it because she gave male fans plenty of up-skirt views...

:huh: Did Twain have some Britney moments that I never heard about? :confused:

I don't know anything about any music scene including Nashville's, so I looked up mutt and the first words to describe him were Zambian born british record producer now living in Switzerland. I guess the implication is that he was shanias in - in the recording industry period, because mutt certainly isn't Nashville.

I agree. Shania deciding to work with Mutt would be a negative move in the eyes of the Nashville establishment...certainly not a plus. As far as I know, the only connection Mutt Lange has to the country music world is his work with Twain and one song of Carrie's new album (which she probably heard as a demo and might not have known until later who the writer was).

Andora
06-22-2012, 06:54 PM
The old Nashville guard makes noise, but I'm not sure they're the powerhouse some are indicating here. I've heard for years that Carrie Underwood wouldn't make it huge in country by virtue of being on American Idol, yet she's been a huge hit for a few years now, and not by virtue of the pop world.

Shania Twain has said in interviews that her first CD was "Nashville-friendly." It also went nowhere. Everything she did with Mutt afterwards is what made her so famous, and that includes in most country circles.

I swear, every generation there's a female country artist whose "cred" gets questioned. How often does this happen to Garth Brooks (before Chris Gaines), Tim McGraw (thespian) or Kenny Rogers (Unrecognizable these days)?

heckles
06-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Did Twain have some Britney moments that I never heard about?

Dude, the first 10 rows at Shania's concerts saw more of her goodies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyN3cWcVVIo) than her OBGYN did. Not only does she feel like a woman, she showed the proof.

PRlady
06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Leaving aside her bottom half, the BDSM collar ensures we can't tell if she's lip synching or not. Never was sure if Shania could actually sing.

PeterG
06-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Dude, the first 10 rows at Shania's concerts saw more of her goodies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyN3cWcVVIo) than her OBGYN did. Not only does she feel like a woman, she showed the proof.

Seriously? That's the best you've got?? :lol:

Leaving aside her bottom half, the BDSM collar ensures we can't tell if she's lip synching or not. Never was sure if Shania could actually sing.

You think she would lip synch to THAT? I have never heard her so out of tune. I've seen her do a lot of live stuff and while she's not the world's greatest vocalist, she can definitely sing. All I can guess is that with the above Grammy performance, her ear monitor wasn't working or there wasn't enough rehearsal time. I had to turn it off (and I love Shania!).

heckles
06-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Seriously? That's the best you've got?? :lol:

Oh, better shots exist, but why are you interested in a clearer view of a woman's junk, hmmm?