PDA

View Full Version : Country Music And Gay Rights...Chely Wright and Carrie Underwood...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

duane
06-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Yeah...I'm not getting where the notion that Carrie Underwood is the only country artist to ever say such a thing is coming from.
Sure, a Dolly Parton finds it easier to voice her support of gay rights in 2009--WAY past her years as THE elite country artist. Carrie doing so at a time when her country music status can go from A to F is very commendable.

PeterG
06-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Ever heard of an obscure singer known as Garth Brooks? Willie Nelson? Dolly Parton? Wynona Judd? Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride, Kathy Mattea, Emmylou Harris, Lee Ann Womack, Reba McEntire? Do we forget the late, great Miss Tammy Wynette?

What are your examples?

I know Garth Brooks released "We Shall Be Free" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0DXLm5pd4) as a single and it was his first to not reach the top 10 on the country charts. While it says nothing about gay rights or gay marriage, the song did include the line, "When we're free to love anyone we choose" which shocked some people at the time (1992).

Yeah...I'm not getting where the notion that Carrie Underwood is the only country artist to ever say such a thing is coming from. This article from 2009 quotes Dolly and notes that Reba McEntire and Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland have made similar statements.

Thanks for that article. I wasn't aware that Jennifer Nettles had performed at Atlanta Gay Pride. That's the best example of someone who has taken a stand at the peak of their career. But Dolly Parton in 2009 is very different than Carrie Underwood in 2012. Dolly's last top 10 song (other than guest vocals or duets on other artist's songs) was 1989's brilliant Yellow Roses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9h_ED9SOzk). So Dolly's recent comments would not mean she would get less airplay or sell less CD's as country radio hasn't supported Dolly in decades and her last album to go gold was 1993's "Slow Dancing With The Moon" (which actually made it to platinum status).

Allskate
06-10-2012, 05:50 AM
That might not mean much to some, but looking back-there is progress. I too wish it was faster.

I think you also have to acknowledge that many of the people who vote against gay marrriage etc. are not Christians. Not all the naysayers are from the religious community.

I didn't mean to imply that all people who oppose gay marriage are religious. Not at all. But when you look at the religious makeup of some of these states banning marriage and you look at what the religious spokespeople are saying, it's hard not to take away the belief that a significant number of Christians are opposed to gay marriage. I know that makes you sad and I know that it's not fair that some people wrongly assume that you are in that group just because you're Christian. However, I think it's unrealistic to believe that there aren't a large percentage of religious people who oppose gay marriage. Sadly, the majority of funding for Proposition 8, including some very offensive advertisments, was religious funding.

I agree with you, though, that there's been a lot of progress, especially in the last ten years.

But, having said that, I think we still have some way to go. I think that Carrie is going to have some backlash for her comments, and I do think it took principles and guts for her to say what she said. I respect her for it.

falling_dance
06-10-2012, 05:51 AM
What are your examples?

I know Garth Brooks released "We Shall Be Free" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0DXLm5pd4) as a single and it was his first to not reach the top 10 on the country charts. While it says nothing about gay rights or gay marriage, the song did include the line, "When we're free to love anyone we choose" which shocked some people at the time (1992).

Brooks performed in the Equality Rocks concert that was part of the Millennium March on Washington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_March_on_Washington) in April 2000.

PDilemma
06-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for that article. I wasn't aware that Jennifer Nettles had performed at Atlanta Gay Pride. That's the best example of someone who has taken a stand at the peak of their career. But Dolly Parton in 2009 is very different than Carrie Underwood in 2012. Dolly's last top 10 song (other than guest vocals or duets on other artist's songs) was 1989's brilliant Yellow Roses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9h_ED9SOzk). So Dolly's recent comments would not mean she would get less airplay or sell less CD's as country radio hasn't supported Dolly in decades and her last album to go gold was 1993's "Slow Dancing With The Moon" (which actually made it to platinum status).

To be fair to Dolly, gay marriage was not actually on the radar as an issue at the peak of her career. So I'm not sure how that is a fair criticism.

Carrie Underwood is not a saint for saying this anymore than anyone else. I don't get how she is being made out to be. But, then, I've never understood the Carrie Underwood phenomenon. :rolleyes:

snoopy
06-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Well IMO Dolly is an American icon and Carrie is not. So Dolly's support may not carry the same financial risk but it has more gravitas. Dolly reaches into the less supportive older generation akin to Elizabeth Taylor. Taylor's support had more to do with changing my mom's views than anything a 20 something movie star could have said.

Plus the fact that Dolly herself holds these views when she grew up in rural Bible Belt country is to her credit.

heckles
06-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Sure, a Dolly Parton finds it easier to voice her support of gay rights in 2009--WAY past her years as THE elite country artist.

Don't know how you define elite, but I wouldn't write off a woman whose theme park draws 2.5 million guests annually, whose three massive dinner shows continue to sell out nightly and who continues to sell out arenas around the planet.

When the album was released, Garth was very clear in interviews, including with Barbara Walters and Oprah, that the song is about his support for the gay community.

kylet3
06-11-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't think we should resent ANYONE who speaks up in support of the LGBT community, especially with everything that is going on in the United States right now. With pastors coming out weekly condemning LGBT people either saying that we should be put to death or put behind electric fences ala concentration camp style, anyone with this magnitude of celebrity who speaks out in support of equality is to be commended, not chastized.

Carrie has absolutely nothing to gain by doing this and a lot more to lose. She comes from one of the most Conservative, religious areas of the USA. Her image has been molded in that of one of faith, family and good values, she will lose a lot of fans in the deep south as a result of her doing this.

I for one, am one of her biggest fans, own all of her CD's, seen her in concert, fan club, been backstage to meet her, but I never ever expected her to announce her support for marriage equality. I was absolutely stunned to read the article on my way to a pride parade (coincidentally), I had a huge smile on my face. So this only sends her up about 10 billion more notches in my book.

:kickass: to Carrie Underwood!

skatesindreams
06-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't think we should resent ANYONE who speaks up in support of the LGBT community, especially with everything that is going on in the United States right now. With pastors coming out weekly condemning LGBT people either saying that we should be put to death or put behind electric fences ala concentration camp style, anyone with this magnitude of celebrity who speaks out in support of equality is to be commended, not chastized.

That these people make statements like this in 2012 - claiming to be speaking for God - only shows how important this issue is.
I believe these pastors may be quite surprised, when they meet their Maker!

snoopy
06-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I checked a country website to see what responses would be and they are mixed with some supporting Carrie and some spouting the Leviticus Bible verse promising to never give her another dime. The website also noted she and her husband attend an interdenominational church, though they are both Christians.

kylet3
06-11-2012, 07:42 PM
I checked a country website to see what responses would be and they are mixed with some supporting Carrie and some spouting the Leviticus Bible verse promising to never give her another dime. The website also noted she and her husband attend an interdenominational church, though they are both Christians.

I'll be happy to give her my money as long as she keeps putting out music.

cailuj365
06-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Sure, a Dolly Parton finds it easier to voice her support of gay rights in 2009--WAY past her years as THE elite country artist. Carrie doing so at a time when her country music status can go from A to F is very commendable.

On the other hand, 2009 and 2012 are already very different eras in gay rights. In 2009, Obama had not declared his support for same-sex marriage; DADT had not been repealed; Glee and Lady Gaga were just getting started, not yet even cultural phenomenons. The difference is only three years, but a lot really has changed in such a short amount of time.

That being said, it's still wonderful that Carrie has taken such an unequivocally favorable stance on gay marriage. She's one of the most popular and respected artists in all of music right now, and she has tons of fans. It's great to hear.

heckles
06-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Country music has always been a little gay. Think sparkly purple jackets embroidered with flowers. Think "pickin' and grinnin'"on Hee Haw. Johnny Cash...Johnny Weir...they're almost twins.

PeterG
06-16-2012, 05:21 PM
LeAnn Rimes has shown her support for Chely via Twitter:

I love and support @chelywright. @wishmeawaydoc is an important film. See it any way you can - in theaters, VOD or iTunes.

skipaway
06-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Backlash (http://music.yahoo.com/news/carrie-underwood-sees-gay-marriage-backlash-131211474.html)

AP is stating she's seeing backlash for her support of gay marriage, but they don't say what.