PDA

View Full Version : what's your family "secret"?

immoimeme
06-09-2012, 06:57 PM
usually the "secret" is duck tape but in my family it was clothespins! eys-for some reason the duck tape was always lost & when finally found the sticky had melted into itself. but wooden clothespins never do so somehow they managed to show up in every room exactly when you needed one! i treasure my inherited clothespins & have to grin each time i use one: "mom, i need some tape!" "we dont have any-use a clothespin!!"

Holley Calmes
06-09-2012, 08:10 PM
My dirty little secret is that I fake being bad at housework so I won't have to do it. 32 years ago when I married Richard, I deliberately set about to be terrible at cleaning. I deliberately did such an insufficient job that dear hubby was appalled at my lack of thoroughness. I especially hate vacuuming. I hate the noise. Richard is such a neat freak and "everything in its place" that he very wisely either cleans up himself or makes sure we have a cleaning lady. I do cook, though. He says, "You're the cook. I'm the cleaner." He's a jewel, and very well trained. :lol:

fluorescein
06-10-2012, 02:18 AM
My dirty little secret is that I fake being bad at housework so I won't have to do it.

DH and I call this strategic helplessness. ;) It's extremely useful so long as you're not found out!

nubka
06-10-2012, 04:38 AM
I can't tell, or else it wouldn't be a secret... :cold:

Japanfan
06-10-2012, 08:26 AM
My dirty little secret is that I fake being bad at housework so I won't have to do it. 32 years ago when I married Richard, I deliberately set about to be terrible at cleaning. I deliberately did such an insufficient job that dear hubby was appalled at my lack of thoroughness. I especially hate vacuuming. I hate the noise. Richard is such a neat freak and "everything in its place" that he very wisely either cleans up himself or makes sure we have a cleaning lady. I do cook, though. He says, "You're the cook. I'm the cleaner." He's a jewel, and very well trained. :lol:

I don't fake being bad at housework, I just don't do it as often as I should. I'm actually okay at it when I get around to doing it (i.e. wash the corners of the floods by hand), but it is just isn't a priority. The two of us do share the housework though and There is nothing secretive about it, no one was going to marry me if a major commitment to housework was required.

The plan was to share the housework and that's worked out okay although we did hire a cleaner to help out once a week for a while, when the cleaning became an issue. Not that cleaner's health is declining and I've love to get another one to come in maybe once a month. But, it seems that a) housecleaners don't want to clean dirty houses - seriously I used an alternative once and she complained that grease stains from meat offender her, she being a vegetarian.

And b) they don't like it very much when the person is at home when they are cleaning, kind up interrupts their process, I guess.

Holley Calmes
06-11-2012, 04:05 AM
Well, I do not like dirt, and I don't like things to be dirty. I like things to be dusted and not have too many cobwebs hanging from the windows, nor toilets that aren't scrubbed and sheets that haven't been changed often. People in my world read books and magazines, and we leave them scattered about. I do needlepoint, and sometimes there is thread that escaped onto the rug. I find a small amount of clutter to be homey and relaxing! It's like you do have a life....when things are all perfect, it makes me want to run away. Perfectly groomed homes are not real! Humans do not live in them, only androids and aliens.

I have had many merry adventures with cleaning people. When my husband and I had more $$, we lived in a house where we had a woman who came and brought her niece. We were both working, so we weren't there when the cleaning was being done every two weeks. Turns out, the neice was trying on all my clothes (they TOLD me about this later!) and she also was so traumatized from her impending divorce that she broke a lot of my glass. It wasn't expensive stuff, but it was mine. She liked to "dust" it and somehow a lot of it wound up broken. Thank God we moved out of town shortly after all this. I could have fired the lot, but I'm a wuss.

My cleaning lady now comes once a month, and she's a dear friend. But yes, I do feel terribly guilty when she's cleaning and I am reading FSU on the computer.....a regular occurance....

Japanfan
06-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Well, I do not like dirt, and I don't like things to be dirty. I like things to be dusted and not have too many cobwebs hanging from the windows, nor toilets that aren't scrubbed and sheets that haven't been changed often.

I agree - it's just, I'd rather someone else took care of all that for me. A personal handmaiden would be just lovely. :)

The thing about cleaning is that it's a constant chore. You clean, and then guess what, you have to do it all over. We live in a small space without foyers and with a cat and dog. To keep the floors clean (no wall-to-wall carpets, thank goodness) means sweeping several times a day.

And even though the space is small, it would take me a few hours a day to keep it as clean and orderly as I would like. I just don't have the time, nor the inclination.

My cleaning lady now comes once a month, and she's a dear friend. But yes, I do feel terribly guilty when she's cleaning and I am reading FSU on the computer.....a regular occurance....

Don't. You pay her, right? Here independent house-cleaners can charge $20 per hour or more. They sure won't get rich on that, but it is a decent fee.

Buzz
06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
My family secrets are too many to mention but I will say that I let my family believe I make a lot more money than I actually do. LOL

Holley Calmes
06-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Oh...I need a handmaiden! What a lovely thought!

Yes, my cleaning lady gets paid. Out of my hard-earned salary, so I guess I should stop feeling guilty. Thanks for the wake up. :lol:

Simone411
06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Not necessarily a family secret, but I found a site about two years ago that gives several tips for organizing.

I like the many uses for coffee filters:

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/blog/2010/01/21/25-creative-uses-for-coffe-filters/

essence_of_soy
06-11-2012, 06:57 PM
This thread reminds me of a joke the comic, Rita Rudner told once.

Rita said one of the reasons she and her husband didn't want to have kids was that her being American and him being British, their kids would be loud and obnoxious, but disgusted by their own behavior.