PDA

View Full Version : Reselling used CDs

vesperholly
06-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Has anyone sold used CDs to websites like SecondSpin.com or any other online store? I'm looking to get rid of about 95% of my old CDs. I don't really care about the price - there's nothing super rare or special so I'm not going to go through the hassle of selling for a penny apiece on eBay/Amazon.

SecondSpin.com quoted me 5 cents for some :lol: but quite a few others were $2 and $3 apiece. The 5 cents ones I'll just donate to the library. I'm thinking of sending in the classical CDs that were "valuable" and I don't care about if I'm scammed out of them, just as a test. Apparently they will reject CDs with scratches or a ton of wear, and send them back to you postage paid, or they can knock down the price if the CD case is damaged.

Internet reviews that I've found are both mixed and 5-6 years old.

Spun.com looks pretty professional, and they give you a prepaid mailer rather than reimbursement for shipping like SecondSpin.com.

A.H.Black
06-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Has anyone sold used CDs to websites like SecondSpin.com or any other online store? I'm looking to get rid of about 95% of my old CDs. I don't really care about the price - there's nothing super rare or special so I'm not going to go through the hassle of selling for a penny apiece on eBay/Amazon.

SecondSpin.com quoted me 5 cents for some :lol: but quite a few others were $2 and $3 apiece. The 5 cents ones I'll just donate to the library. I'm thinking of sending in the classical CDs that were "valuable" and I don't care about if I'm scammed out of them, just as a test. Apparently they will reject CDs with scratches or a ton of wear, and send them back to you postage paid, or they can knock down the price if the CD case is damaged.

Internet reviews that I've found are both mixed and 5-6 years old.

Spun.com looks pretty professional, and they give you a prepaid mailer rather than reimbursement for shipping like SecondSpin.com.

Have you considered selling them in bulk or as a lot - on ebay or another auction site?

vesperholly
06-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Have you considered selling them in bulk or as a lot - on ebay or another auction site?

I talked myself out of online resellers and actually just listed a bunch on eBay. :lol: Turns out I have lots of "categories" of CDs, so I split them into related lots. Sadly this is about 1/4 of my collection. I'm allowing myself to keep 20 CDs that were hard to find or have special meaning to me.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/eilonwy72/m.html?item=160820360882&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

I still want to hear advice/experience etc, I know I won't be able to sell everything as a lot.

Vash01
06-11-2012, 05:57 AM
I have sold a few on amazon.com

JJH
06-11-2012, 07:20 AM
I read this as reselling used condoms. Possibly, I should rest my brain for a bit.

vesperholly
06-11-2012, 07:55 AM
I read this as reselling used condoms. Possibly, I should rest my brain for a bit.

:rofl: If I picked the right site, I bet I'd get a lot more :bribe: for that than my CDs.

Skittl1321
06-11-2012, 01:15 PM
I took mine, and a bunch of DVDs to Half Price Books.

I averaged $1 per CD (but I'm thinking it was the DVDs that brought the price up).

GarrAarghHrumph
06-11-2012, 02:35 PM
I sell my more valuable CDs on Amazon. I've never had a problem. I like that I set the price, it's not an auction.

Stormy
06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
I have used Second Spin before, many times and for many years. They don't pay huge bucks, but I've never ever had a problem with them. I like that they take CDs, DVDs and video games too. I'd try them if they don't sell on eBay. :)