PDA

View Full Version : IRS craziness

Pages : [1] 2

nursebetty
06-08-2012, 11:52 PM
I am the POA for my mom who has alz., my dad is dead. So today I get a notice from the IRS that she owes $9,000 for what appears to be a pension in 2010 from the railroad. She never worked for the railroad and has not received any $ from them. I have been taking care of her finances for years so I am sure of this. It is her SS # and we have till July 5 to pay up. I've tried to call the number on the paper, but it never lets me through. Anyone know any others numbers to call. There is a place to check on the paper, but it says to send proof. How am I going to prove this? Craziness, last year they sent her papers back saying I couldn't sign the tax return, but they cashed the check. They sent me a number to call that time and after talking to 3 different people I finally just put the pen in her hand and helped her sign it and mailed it back. Was told that they do not accept POA's.

Vash01
06-09-2012, 12:06 AM
I would recommend consulting with a tax attorney. This sounds like a difficult problem. In the past, one time I was able to get a person on the IRS phone line, but after that, I never had any success. The IRS is a pain in the neck, because we feel so powerless against it.

Louis
06-09-2012, 12:14 AM
I've had one issue with the IRS due to an error they made. It took several days of spending hours on hold to reach a live person, but when I finally did, she was able to fix the problem relatively easily and without hassle.

If you have a job where you can't sit at your desk for hours at a time on hold, it will be very difficult, sadly. :(

mikey
06-09-2012, 12:20 AM
The IRS accepts POAs, but you have to file to proper paperwork with them first (I think it is form 2848).

nursebetty
06-09-2012, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the info, now that you mention that form it does sound familiar, but I think you had to have the signature also. It seems like that was one of the issues we went around in a circle over. I had forgotten about it, so now I need to go and do it. She has an accountant that does her taxes so hopefully he can help..........monday. Hopefully they will accept her bank statements as proof. We can only deposit checks into her bank account, so there is no way we could have cashed it. So there would be a record. She hasn't been able to do any banking for many years. Not enough that this disease is driving me crazy.

PDilemma
06-09-2012, 01:56 AM
nursebetty--go to the nearest IRS office. We got a tax notice like that a year ago saying we owed over $4000. On my dad's advice (he has worked for the state revenue office), we skipped the phone calls and the mail and went to the nearest office to us. They sorted through the whole mess, quite patiently actually, and discovered that my social security number had been entered incorrectly when our return was processed. Everything was settled easily, the woman did the forms for us to correct it all and discovered they actually owed us about $250. We got a confirmation notice about six weeks later and the check shortly after that.

barbk
06-09-2012, 02:22 AM
I second PDilema's advice. If you can't get resolution, you can also call your congressman's office and ask for constituent services.

Karina1974
06-09-2012, 03:41 AM
I've had one issue with the IRS due to an error they made. It took several days of spending hours on hold to reach a live person, but when I finally did, she was able to fix the problem relatively easily and without hassle.

If you have a job where you can't sit at your desk for hours at a time on hold, it will be very difficult, sadly. :(

I had to do that too. A few years ago, the IRS claimed that I had received SS benefits that I hadn't reported on my 1040A. I said to them, not so fast, because I am too young to receive SS, nor am I disabled (SSI, SSDI), and I, thus, work a job to earn every penny of money I receive as income. It was their oops, and they were quick to rectify that. That was also the year that we were supposed to receive those $600 rebate checks.

And I have a "desk job", but I called after 5:00 and was able to get someone on the phone. IIRC, I was on the phone with them between 6:30 and 7:30 PM (during the week). I think I was on hold for about 10-15 minutes. I just plugged my cell into the charger, put it on speaker, and web-surfed while waiting for someone to come on the line.

nursebetty
06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Thank-you everyone. I hadn't even thought of the IRS office. Will let you know what happens. Good idea about plugging phone in charger while I wait if I have to go that route. Trying to make myself stop thinking about it till Monday.

Karina1974
06-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Thank-you everyone. I hadn't even thought of the IRS office. Will let you know what happens. Good idea about plugging phone in charger while I wait if I have to go that route. Trying to make myself stop thinking about it till Monday.

Just make sure you aren't using up your minutes, unless you have a lot on roll-over or something like that! IIRC, I called after 7:00 PM, which is when my free weeknight minutes kick in (I'm one of those "cell only - no landline" people).

Coco
06-10-2012, 04:02 AM
I second PDilema's advice. If you can't get resolution, you can also call your congressman's office and ask for constituent services.

Great advice - I would do this first thing Monday AM. Even if you make progress, get someone from your Congressman's office involved so they can shepherd the case through the system.

suep1963
06-10-2012, 04:47 AM
If she has an accountant who does her taxes, start there--call them first. I had an issue about 10 years ago with the IRS who insisted I owed them $1,000. I signed a paper authorizing my CPA to talk to them, and she cleared it up in no time flat.

nursebetty
06-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I did actually take the papers to the accountant off hours, because I couldn't get it off my mind. He says he has figured it out and I don't owe any money, but will discuss it with me later after he gets all the paper work done. He did say the railroad thing had nothing to do with us. So I don't know if it's something he did wrong with the returns or something else. Just hope he's right about the $$$. We are already paying about $5,000/month for her to be taken care of. Just one more thing to worry about. OH well, thanks everyone, just me freaking out again. (cross your fingers that it's taken care of). At least maybe I can get myself to do the paper work for the poa with the irs.

milanessa
06-10-2012, 11:11 PM
It's possible someone has used her SSN in order to get a job. Not likely but it has happened.

reckless
06-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Hopefully, you can get it all straightened out. It sounds to me like someone might have gotten your mother's SS# and used it illegally. You probably should check her credit as well; it's possible that other things have been done using her number.

As for the IRS, you should be able to straighten this out. If it's someone using her SS# to get work, it's a pretty common situation.

It is scary though to get that kind of notice. I remember getting an IRS notice claiming I owed the government $150,000 and having nightmares of being taken away because I didn't pay my taxes. But the nightmares were probably because I was only 10.