PDA

View Full Version : Bed Bugs

Pages : [1] 2 3

Susan1
06-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Geez Louise! I was just informed that they found and killed (by freezing) bed bugs at one of the buildings at work. I don't work in or go to that building, but other people in my department do. And, obviously, people can come from that building to ours. How likely is it that someone has brought bedbugs to our building.

I came home and shook out all the clothes I've worn this week. And my sheets and pillowcases are in the washer as I type this. The bedspread is having a tumble in the dryer. I will be vacuuming the bedroom later. (I know, I have to walk through the whole house to get to the bedroom. I've examined all the floors and rugs on the way. Do they hide till it's dark?) What if they are in my car?

I work for a temporary agency and we have been given the option of not returning to the assignment. Because of the treatment (in the other building), not the bedbugs. I will go in Monday to see what the regular employees think. Wouldn't they have told them?

So, now I am itching like crazy. (I'm sorry if you are now too!) And I don't have any bites or see anything crawling on me where it itches!

I need this job, but not if it has infested my house!

GarrAarghHrumph
06-09-2012, 12:26 AM
The attached describes how to check for bed bugs, and where:
http://www.badbedbugs.com/bedbug-checklist/

Anita18
06-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Bedbugs don't crawl very far, and people usually move too fast for them to latch on. (Unlike fleas, which can jump like woh! But bedbugs can only crawl like ants.) Places usually get infested by people bringing in infested luggage and purses and bags and the like. Stuff that you set on the floor and it stays there for a while. So the likelihood of you bringing them back to your house simply by being in the same room with people who might have walked into a building where they were found is very very low.

If you have bedbugs, you will be able to see them in the mattress seams and the headboards.

If you're itching but it isn't coalesced into a bite, the itching is in your head. Relax! I know this, I had a flea infestation last year and when I itched from a bite, a bump would form. :lol: During the summer I can itch because I'm hot and sweaty, but if it doesn't form into a bite, I don't worry about it.

ETA: Thanks to the fleas, I bought a bugproof mattress cover. It was a $50 investment, but obviously peace of mind since I couldn't vacuum every crevice in the mattress!

milanessa
06-09-2012, 12:45 AM
I hope Andora doesn't see this thread. :yikes:

PRlady
06-09-2012, 02:06 AM
A neighbor who is on assignment in Seattle every week called and asked if I could feed his cat this weekend. He's usually back by Friday but has to stay, and his regular cat feeder went away this weekend.

Sure, no problem. Last night as regular feeder was showing me where everything was he mentioned that neighbor had had bedbugs last year, but everything was treated and is now fine.

I'm trying not to think about it as I pet the cat and feed her and scoop the litter. Trying hard.

Prancer
06-09-2012, 02:20 AM
Geez Louise! I was just informed that they found and killed (by freezing) bed bugs at one of the buildings at work.

Just out of curiousity :shuffle:, where do you happen to be working?

Forewarned is forearmed, you know.

Susan1
06-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Just out of curiousity :shuffle:, where do you happen to be working?

Forewarned is forearmed, you know.

I don't think I should say. ;) I don't want it to end up on the news. It's office buildings in Miamisburg, no customers, so I don't think YOU have to worry. I'll find out Monday if someone went on a trip and brought bedbugs back with their luggage or what.

I looked at different things on the internet and they had sites that reported what hotels have/had bedbugs. And various apartment complexes in the Dayton area.

Well, heck, I just started getting itchy again.................

Prancer
06-10-2012, 06:41 PM
I don't think I should say. I don't want it to end up on the news. It's office buildings in Miamisburg

Nuff said. I never go to Miamisburg.

I looked at different things on the internet and they had sites that reported what hotels have/had bedbugs. And various apartment complexes in the Dayton area.

Well, heck, I just started getting itchy again.................

I guess you missed this? http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-worst-bed-bug-infested-cities.html

Susan1
06-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Nuff said. I never go to Miamisburg.

I guess you missed this? http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-worst-bed-bug-infested-cities.html

Did you notice that it is from 2010? There have been articles in our paper a few times, but not recently. Someone probably brought them from Chicago. ha ha ha

Prancer
06-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Did you notice that it is from 2010? There have been articles in our paper a few times, but not recently.

How recent does it have to be for you to consider it recent?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/bed-bugs-continue-to-pose-big-problems-1363716.html

Rex
06-11-2012, 02:48 PM
My mom just had her house fumed for bedbugs. I mentioned this in one of the snark threads a couple of months back.

Apparently they run rampant not just in homes and hotels, but in movie theaters...one of the movieplexes at the Cherry Hill mall allegedly is overrun with them. :shudder:

Cupid
06-12-2012, 09:25 PM
I suddenly feel all itchy!:scream:

Susan1
06-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I suddenly feel all itchy!:scream:

I know! Sorry.

Update - the bedbugs in the other building were found and treated 2 WEEKS AGO. Our temp agency wasn't told until now. (And she tells us we have the option of not going back there to work NOW???????) Oh well.

Anita18
06-14-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm sure you would have noticed the bedbugs now, if they hung a ride to your house. :)

indicatoto101
06-14-2012, 05:00 AM
I got bed bugs last summer from one of the items by sister in law purchased from a flea market. In the morning, I itched and scratched for months before I noticed them at night. Yeah, I'm slow. Bed bugs are extremely tiny, can hide anywhere, and live close to where you sleep. If you're still itching, I suggest checking your mattress and box spring.