PDA

View Full Version : Yu-na files libel suit against university professor

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

Mathman
06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
I am not Korean, but I have been informed that being a female entertainer in Korea is regarded as akin to being a high-class whore.

Hey, who you callin' high class?! :cool:

I think you are confusing modern Korea with the time of the kisaeng, dating from the tenth century. ;)

magnolia
06-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Mathman, I don't think so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/01/south-korea-entertaiment-jang-jayeon

RunnersHigh
06-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Mathman, I don't think so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/01/south-korea-entertaiment-jang-jayeon

Now do you want to talk about Japanese entertainment industry? From Gravia model?

UGG
06-13-2012, 01:21 AM
I am really glad I was drinking wine while I read through this thread.

RunnersHigh
06-13-2012, 01:31 AM
I am really glad I was drinking wine while I read through this thread.

Good for you and forget it when become sober. :fan:

Japanfan
06-13-2012, 02:45 AM
I know this may seem like a crazy thing for me to think, but I honestly believe that when Yu-Na decided to file this lawsuit, she didn't take time to consider whether she is divinely worshiped by everyone on the planet or not.

I would she expect that she think she is divinely worshiped - and with good cause, to be honest. Celebrities do tend to have grossly inflated egos, it's the nature of the beast. It's hard for celebrities to cultivate humility. I would think this is particularly true for Yunah achieved wealth and celebrity at a young age, so didn't have the wisdom and maturity of age. Adding to that, it seems that she is surrounded by people who want to capitalize on her celebrity and therefore have an interest in stroking her ego.

lakewood
06-13-2012, 03:09 AM
During the time that Yuna was competing, she could reap the financial benefits of appearing in commercials much in the style of an 'entertainer' without being treated like/seen as an entertainer because she was a national athlete, but now that she's not competing regularly, she's coming closer to just being an entertainer and that makes it difficult for Korean society to place her, I think, and so she's apparently getting alot of 'unreasonable' bashing, right??

Simply wrong. Your problem is that you think you know other country. YuNa doesn't do any entertaining business. Endorsement is not entertainment, is it? And, most Koreans expect her to be a sport diplomat in the future after she was involved in the PyeongChang Olympic bid activity and gave a good presentation in South Africa.

There were slanders and unreasonable criticisms even when she was winning everything. There are people who are jealous of her and think she does not deseserve what she receives. You can read on internet comments like "She is merely a skater and skting is no bog deal in Korea (traditionally, it wasn't). Why is she so hyped?"

lakewood
06-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Here is my take on dilemma that YNK is facing.

She used to be a star athlete who represented her country very well.
Korean companies were keen on using her image to sell their stuff and as a result, she made lots of money from endorsements.

After Vancouver Olympics were over, she was pretty much done with competitive skating. After a short while, Korean companies were becoming less interested in using her. Sensing this, Mummy forced her daughter to compete again at the 2011 Worlds. This backfired and YNK flopped, loosing to zzzzzz Ando.

Although, YNK's motivations for competitive skating dropped even further, mummy wasn't done making $$$. What they decided to do was keep the image of national athlete alive by refusing to announce retirement, and make as many public appearence as they can, in order to maintain level of attention they receive.

No matter how hard they tried, endorsement business wasn't like how it used to be. In the good old days, YNK handpicked companies or products she would endorse, out of numerous candidates. She marketed latest and coolest version of Samsung mobile phones. She endorsed a low-fat yogurt rightfully named 'Pure'. These days, she endorses less glamorous items like gasoline, and even appears in commercials for less healthy and wholesome items, such as beer.

As choice of endorsements gets narrower, and purse gets thinner, YNK seems to pursuit harder for ways to receive public attention. Naturally, more people raise their criticisms towards her, and BAM!, a dispute develops eventually and turns into a law suit.

Her problem is not wanting to compete any more, but at the same time, wanting to maintain all the lucrative endorsement fees that she made when she was an Olympic athlete IMO.

Again, you show your lack of correct inofrmation. This year, YuNa appeared more ads than right after she won Vancouver Olympics. IMO, this year will be her highest income season ever. I think her contribution to PyeongChang Olympic bid really helped her image and popularity grow in the Korean people. But, there are always haters no matter how popular you are. That is the problem.

RunnersHigh
06-13-2012, 04:39 AM
Transcript of the interview from Korean articles with this case aired and released JUN 11.

TV inteview with JTBC. (http://joongang.joinsmsn.com/article/aid/2012/06/12/8066564.html?cloc=olink|article|default) If I hurt you, I'll give you free...

MC: I am asking you to confirm the fact. Did you call Yuna's teaching practice as a show?
Hwang: It was a show because none other than Yuna did the teaching practice. When I heard she started that, I thought "Did she entered University?" and then I remembered that I heard "Yuna entered Korea Univ". But I didn't think it's time for her to do teaching practice so I thought it's a show and said "Fiddlesticks! What a ridiculous the teaching practice is."

MC: ATS demanded sincere apology from you. What would you do?
Hwang: As a psychologist, I'm not sure what is "sincere apology" to Koreans. I declared that I quitted the radio program. I gave my own book with my signature to soothe her troubled thoughts if Yuna was hurt by my words. If she is still sick at heart, I'll psychologically counsel Yuna for free to express my sincere apology. (Isn't it enough?) You must know this. I don't counsel anyone. This is my sincere apology.

TV interview with Channel A. (http://news.khan.co.kr/kh_news/khan_art_view.html?artid=201206121108381&code=940100) As a student how you sue me, You'll be misfortune...

How dare do a student sue a professor?
She will be misfortune with age.
Sueing me is another reality show.
Withdrawing a suit on the precondition of my apology also is another show.
Athletes have a normal life in there late 20s and 30s, have trouble with people around during the time and then used to suffer from a psychic disturbance. In terms of personality and character she is already in trouble.
Yuna is a headliner as of now. When time goes by, she may try to be a professor to coach and no one could guarantee that Yuna wouldn't plagiarize papers for master's degree and doctorate like Dae sung Moon of 2004 Athens OGM.

Those curse words took place in public. Viewers and readers cannot repress their astonishment.

RumbleFish
06-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Again, you show your lack of correct inofrmation. This year, YuNa appeared more ads than right after she won Vancouver Olympics. IMO, this year will be her highest income season ever. I think her contribution to PyeongChang Olympic bid really helped her image and popularity grow in the Korean people. But, there are always haters no matter how popular you are. That is the problem.

I don't see any proper logic or factual evidence in your post. You might as well cut the crap and just say 'YNK is divine, and saying anything against her holyness is a sin.'

In my opinion, crazy YNK followers are a classic case of nationalistic uberdom.
I find these people absolutely :scream::scream::scream:

brightphoton
06-13-2012, 07:30 AM
It is nationalistic uberism, but I think it might also be a language translation problem. It's like the subtites in those japanese cartoons or comic books and everything is overly emotional and vehement.

For example, "Yuna shouldn't be critisized so much" comes out as "Our great savior! How dare the western peasants soil your name so. Cover your ears, dearest ice qween, and offenders please prostate yourself in shame."

Or who knows, maybe they really do feel that way :rollin: :2faced:

orientalplane
06-13-2012, 07:47 AM
However litigious she is, however huge an ego she might have, she has donated more than $2 million to charity, a lot of it in Africa, which is more than you can say for any other skater.

kwanfan1818
06-13-2012, 07:50 AM
How many other skaters made even close to $2 million in half a decade?

orientalplane
06-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Not many, but some have. And that's not really the point. Yu-Na may be a multi-millionaire, but I think she should be given a lot of credit for her generosity and her commitment to charity. Most other skaters don't make as much money, and some do charity work, but it's the proportion of her earnings that she gives away which should be applauded.

l'etoile
06-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Not many, but some have. And that's not really the point. Yu-Na may be a multi-millionaire, but I think she should be given a lot of credit for her generosity and her commitment to charity. Most other skaters don't make as much money, and some do charity work, but it's the proportion of her earnings that she gives away which should be applauded.

ITA. I sometimes have the feeling that people just overlook good deeds done and obsess over other gossipy things like there's none other than that to judge and think of a person. It's not just about Yuna, but other skaters, too.