PDA

View Full Version : Yu-na files libel suit against university professor

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

Iceman
06-14-2012, 08:14 PM
So did the school give her credit for her practice teaching or does she have to repeat it?
Very few people in the US have any idea who she is. As far as competitive skating, she appears to be irrelevant now. Imo she won't make the list of "great ones", even with her gold medal.

kwanfan1818
06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Very few people in the US have any idea who she is. As far as competitive skating, she appears to be irrelevant now. Imo she won't make the list of "great ones", even with her gold medal.
Sure they do: she's an Asian woman who won the Olympic gold medal in Vancouver, so she must be Michelle Kwan.

Yazmeen
06-14-2012, 09:59 PM
That's too bad if he is an attention whore with few scruples. Team Yu Na missed a chance to cut him down to size.

Personally I think he's a few fries shy of a Happy Meal and a jerk to boot. But YuNa's overreaction reflected badly on her, not him. She could have handled this gracefully by calmly refuting his statements, and she would have looked mature and eloquent; but no, she had to threaten to sue, which made her look more tabloid Kardashian than elegant Kim.

kwanfan1818
06-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Personally I think he's a few fries shy of a Happy Meal and a jerk to boot. But YuNa's overreaction reflected badly on her, not him. She could have handled this gracefully by calmly refuting his statements, and she would have looked mature and eloquent; but no, she had to threaten to sue, which made her look more tabloid Kardashian than elegant Kim.

Exactly.

VALuvsMKwan
06-14-2012, 10:05 PM

Are we sure that Tara Modlin isn't advising her now? :slinkaway

ETA: Perhaps Queen of Heaven Yu Na should learn from Miki Ando how, in situations like this, to issue sugary-sweet, Southern-belle-like, passive aggressive tweets, rather than threaten lawsuits. :rofl:

RunnersHigh
06-14-2012, 11:20 PM
So did the school give her credit for her practice teaching or does she have to repeat it?

She earned credits, a plaque of appreciation (http://star.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/OhmyStar/at_pg.aspx?CNTN_CD=A0001742275) from students at Jinseon girl's high school and words of encouragement from quiet normal persons.

From this commotion, Yuna could learn how to treat :EVILLE: such a crazy.

Japanfan
06-15-2012, 05:57 AM
I giver her credit for her donations to charity, regardless of the motivation -- some of it, I think, inspired by her conversion to Catholicism -- but you posted "which is more than you can say for any other skater," and, my questions are what other skaters have those kind of resources, markets, and platforms and if they exist, how you know they aren't giving away a lot of it without a lot of publicity? As far as "proportion" of earnings go, the large majority of skaters who are making money from skating are in shows like Disney on Ice, cruise ships, or earn a living through choreography and shows, like Buttle and Lambiel, but they aren't making the fortune that Kim has been fortunate to command from being in the right market at the right time. As far as the best-earning eligible skaters go, Patrick Chan, for example, runs a deficit for his training expenses each year -- and it's likely that others do as well, apart from those who are booked for the entire SOI/CSOI tours -- so what money should he, for example, be giving away?

But the skating world is a monied one, in general. Although the majority of skaters don't earn much, many of those in the elite group do very well, coaches included. For example, I was quite surprised to learn that Joanne McLeod has oceanfront West Vancouver property worth a few million.

Among those, I'm sure that some give more to charity, some less. Just like everyone else. Mike Weiss's scholarship fund is just one example of such charity. All the charity performances to help Japan is another. And many skaters give the stuffed animals that are thrown to them on the ice to hospitals.

I've venture to guess that a high percentage of elite skaters are involved in charity in one way or another. It's also seems to me that I've heard of skaters being scheduled to make visits to sick kids in hospitals, stuff like that.

Giving to charity feels good, so both the rich and not-so-rich do it, but it doesn't necessarily make anyone particularly special.

The very wealthy routinely give to charity. Sure, some are more admirable in their efforts than others. But giving generously to charity when you have more money than you could ever use doesn't IMO quality a person as a great humanitarian.

kwanfan1818
06-15-2012, 06:12 AM
It generally takes several generations of wealth before people donate substantially to charity.

Because I give her credit for giving away millions when she didn't have to give away a dime doesn't mean I think she's Gandhi.

Japanfan
06-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Because I give her credit for giving away millions when she didn't have to give away a dime doesn't mean I think she's Gandhi.

Credit is certainly due to Yunah, for sure.

EricRohmer
06-15-2012, 12:06 PM
I doubt the team missed a chance, rather this was no case for them to win :lol:.

Some lawyers assessed Yuna's chances of winning the case as 100%.

By the way, while I agree Yuna dropped the suit, in the back of my mind I a little wish that the suit had not been withdrawn (due to professor Hwang's "she'd commit suicide in the future" remark).

Simba
06-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Yu-na drops defamation suit against Prof. Hwang

Source: Korea Times (http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2012/06/136_113142.html)

ADMIN EDIT: Do not copy and paste entire articles. See Rule #13
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/announcement.php?f=14&a=37

l'etoile
06-15-2012, 07:03 PM
You're really enjoying it, aren't you Simba lol

Dragonlady
06-15-2012, 07:55 PM
So she really had no hope of winning and the suit was generating bad publicity. No surprises there.

kwanfan1818
06-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't see anything that leads to the conclusion that she couldn't win legally. The question seems to be whether it would cost her more in terms of reputation and marketability if she went on with it. I think the mistake was not to realize that it would and to take another approach.

agalisgv
06-15-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't know that the lawsuit would have cost her anything with respect to reputation. My sense was the lawsuit was keeping the issue in the media, and this was giving the professors lots more exposure than he would have otherwise. So removing the lawsuit was taking away his platform.

In that respect, I think that was a smart decision.