PDA

View Full Version : Yu-na files libel suit against university professor

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

RumbleFish
06-13-2012, 11:58 AM
However litigious she is, however huge an ego she might have, she has donated more than $2 million to charity, a lot of it in Africa, which is more than you can say for any other skater.

Donations are wonderful, and I used to give people who make them lots of credit.

I am sorry to say however, that I've been developing skepticisms about her sincerity after witnessing all the attention-grabbing over-exposures and nasty litigations. Afterall, she would be getting tax breaks arond 30 percent of the sum, and I would never know what percentage of the rest she might consider re-investments in preparation for future businesses.

EricRohmer
06-13-2012, 01:16 PM
No matter how hard they tried, endorsement business wasn't like how it used to be. In the good old days, YNK handpicked companies or products she would endorse, out of numerous candidates. She marketed latest and coolest version of Samsung mobile phones. She endorsed a low-fat yogurt rightfully named 'Pure'. These days, she endorses less glamorous items like gasoline, and even appears in commercials for less healthy and wholesome items, such as beer.

As choice of endorsements gets narrower, and purse gets thinner, YNK seems to pursuit harder for ways to receive public attention.

You don't have a clue about Korean CF market.

In Korea, hot stars endorse items like beer & gasoline. Two years ago, a top idol boygroup Bigbang endorsed Hite beer that Yuna endorses now, and the rising star actor Kim SooHyun endorses Cass beer(Hite's rival beer :D) now. Same as for gasoline. Big stars as Kim TaeHee, Moon GeunYoung, IU have endorsed oil companies.

The recent order of the CF model preference. (from Korean CM Strategy Research Institute's 2012-04 survey of people ranging from 10 to 59 years of age)

1. Kim YuNa
2. Kim SooHyun (actor)
3. Lee SeungKi (singer, actor, MC)
4. Song JoongKi (actor)
5. Kim TaeHee (actress)
6. Won Bin (actor)

http://news.nate.com/view/20120517n24900

RumbleFish
06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
You don't have a clue about Korean CF market.

In Korea, hot stars endorse items like beer & gasoline. Two years ago, top idol boy group Big Bang endorsed Hite beer that Yuna endorses now, and actor Kim SooHyun(rising star) endorses Cass beer(Hite's rival beer :D) now. Same as for gasoline. Big stars as Kim TaeHee, Moon GeunYoung, IU have endorsed oil companies.

So you are saying YNK prefers to endorse gasoline over latest version of samsung mobile phones and beer over low-fat yogurt?

Then again, how inappropriate of me to doubt YNK, right?
I should have remembered that she can't set a foot wrong and always in a perfect state.
Also, she deserves to own the universe as long as she donates a small portion, correct?

These poor people hypnotized by nationalistic uberism don't know the meaning of the word fatigue, do they? :scream:

EricRohmer
06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
:rolleyes:

kittyjake5
06-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I am really glad I was drinking wine while I read through this thread.

:lol: I am still drinking!

VALuvsMKwan
06-13-2012, 06:08 PM
:lol: I am still drinking!

But...is it only something endorsed by Queen Yu Na? :shuffle:

kwanfan1818
06-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Not many, but some have. And that's not really the point. Yu-Na may be a multi-millionaire, but I think she should be given a lot of credit for her generosity and her commitment to charity. Most other skaters don't make as much money, and some do charity work, but it's the proportion of her earnings that she gives away which should be applauded.
What proportion is that? Do you have stats on skaters who make far less and what they do both in time and money, and who get far less publicity for it?

I giver her credit for her donations to charity, regardless of the motivation -- some of it, I think, inspired by her conversion to Catholicism -- but you posted "which is more than you can say for any other skater," and, my questions are what other skaters have those kind of resources, markets, and platforms and if they exist, how you know they aren't giving away a lot of it without a lot of publicity? As far as "proportion" of earnings go, the large majority of skaters who are making money from skating are in shows like Disney on Ice, cruise ships, or earn a living through choreography and shows, like Buttle and Lambiel, but they aren't making the fortune that Kim has been fortunate to command from being in the right market at the right time. As far as the best-earning eligible skaters go, Patrick Chan, for example, runs a deficit for his training expenses each year -- and it's likely that others do as well, apart from those who are booked for the entire SOI/CSOI tours -- so what money should he, for example, be giving away?

RunnersHigh
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Yuna decided to retract a charge against professor Hwang. (http://sports.media.daum.net/general/news/moresports/breaking/view.html?cateid=1076&newsid=20120614172209859&p=fnnewsi)

Ji-Ahn, a legal representative of Yuna Kim, today announced that they would drop a charge against Prof, Hwang.

"We expected if professor Hwang's vicious slander of a radio interview May 22 was proved false, he would make a sincere apology and Yuna could recover the tarnished reputation. But even with an ocean of objective evidences proving Yuna fulfilled her teaching practice faithfully, he does not yet apologize civilly for spreading the false information."

And added "At this point that everyone knew how diligently Yuna finished her teaching practice, to avoid an irrelevant controversy with this case anymore we'll withdraw a complaint regardless of professor Hwang's apology."

kwanatic
06-14-2012, 04:08 PM
I suspect they never had plans to move forward with the lawsuit in the first place. They were probably hoping the threat of a lawsuit would make him immediately recant his words and issue an apology. Once they realized he wasn't going to give the apology they wanted, they decided to drop it.

Yazmeen
06-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Well, that just managed to give YuNa negative attention, but maybe it has taught her a valuable lesson. Not EVERYONE will give in to the Queen. It might be better if she learns to pick her battles. While he may have treated her rudely, the one who came off looking bad and entitled here in the end wasn't the professor...:shuffle:

kwanfan1818
06-14-2012, 05:40 PM
the one who came off looking bad and entitled here in the end wasn't the professor...:shuffle:

That's too bad if he is an attention whore with few scruples. Team Yu Na missed a chance to cut him down to size.

Jaana
06-14-2012, 06:14 PM
That's too bad if he is an attention whore with few scruples. Team Yu Na missed a chance to cut him down to size.

I doubt the team missed a chance, rather this was no case for them to win :lol:.

kwanfan1818
06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
I didn't mean by suing him: I meant by issuing a statement much in the tone that Orser eventually used with Kim (after the initial shock was over): "Poor Professor X. So misguided. I'll just continue to educate my students." with Kim and class photo.

agalisgv
06-14-2012, 07:36 PM
the one who came off looking bad and entitled here in the end wasn't the professor...:shuffle: I'm neutral on Kim, and when I first read this thread, I thought the lawsuit was overkill. After reading all the posts, I think the prof came across as a supreme jerk.

jmho

kittyjake5
06-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I am glad YuNa dropped the lawsuit. It has generated the kind of publicity for Yuna that can come across as a negative in the long run. IMO the professor sounds a bit loopy just my observation. I am sure YuNa has more important things to do with her time.