PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Jane Austen Novel?

Pages : [1] 2

Maofan7
06-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Interesting, reading the views expressed in the Pride & Prejudice thread as to which is the best film/TV adaptation. But which is your favourite Austen novel?

Did a kind do Austen tour several years ago. Visited Steventon, Chawton, Bath, Winchester, and several other places associated with Jane Austen. It was great fun.

A.H.Black
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Hard choice between Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion for me. Either one would get me through a long stint on a desert island.

danceronice
06-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Persuasion. Possibly I simply sympathize with the 'old maid' protagonist a lot, and the fact that the Ciran Hinds/Amando Root version is my favorite Austen adaptation ever, but if I had to choose, that would be my pick.

Now I want to watch it again when I get home!

Artemis@BC
06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Persuasion for me too. (Although every time I type that word it looks wrong :confused:) It was my favourite when I first read it, and the Amanda Root & Ciaran Hinds production simply solidified that view.

P&P is a pretty close second though.

I have re-read and re-viewed all of the Austen canon fairly recently ... but I'd like to either re-read or re-watch The Jane Austen Book Club. I remember the premise, but can't remember the specifics of which character associated with which book and why.

znachki
06-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Persuasion for me as well. There is a depth and maturity to that book above the rest. Pride & Predjudice would be next on my list.

Tesla
06-08-2012, 07:31 PM
I don't, but I think I might start reading Pride and Prejudice after I finish Persuasion. :) Thanks for the reading motivation!

Jenny
06-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Toss up between Emma and Mansfield Park for me - went with Emma as it didn't have any votes yet :)

Marilou
06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I loved Emma too. :)

skatingfan5
06-08-2012, 10:18 PM
So hard to choose between Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion, but I finally went with my "first love" (read at age 12 or 13 for the first time and at least a dozen and a half times since then) and chose P&P. Reading bits of it never fail to cheer me up if I'm feeling out of sorts. I do love Persuasion, too, but it has a more autumnal and introspective mood. Emma takes the bronze for me.

rjblue
06-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Persuasion for me too. I only had to think about 5 seconds. Pride and Prejudice is a more entertaining tale, but Anne is the Austen character I absolutely love.

jobelle
06-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Tough, tough choice. I went with P&P because it is the one I re-read most often and the one that I know the best. But I love all the others for different reasons as well. Northanger Abbey is downright hilarious. Persuasion and S&S always make me cry. I love the relationship of Emma and Mr. Knightley and just what she does in general in that story -- making Emma a sympathetique and mostly likeable character even though she's an absolute spoiled brat! So ... yeah .... hard for me to choose.

victoriaheidi
06-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Emma! Read it in 8th grade and truly loved it.

LilJen
06-09-2012, 02:31 AM
P&P was the first I ever read. Favorite. Followed by Mansfield Park.

altai_rose
06-09-2012, 03:05 AM
Definitely Emma!

Then, followed by Persuasion.

Erin
06-09-2012, 04:55 AM
Hard choice between Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion for me. Either one would get me through a long stint on a desert island.

I had a tough choice between P&P and Persuasion as well, and I went with Persuasion for the same reason as below:

Persuasion. Possibly I simply sympathize with the 'old maid' protagonist a lot

I also suspected that a lot of people would pick P&P, so I thought I'd be a bit different. My only real complaint about Persuasion is that it's too short!

I'm always surprised that Emma is so popular...it's probably my least favourite Austen.