PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Evora invited to U.S. State Dept. Luncheon honoring Philippines President

Pages : 1 [2]

apollo13
06-11-2012, 02:43 AM
:respec:
That subject has nothing to do with what we are discussing here.

HeatherC
06-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the pic Sylvia!! :cheer: :D

Sylvia
06-12-2012, 05:47 PM
"Evora's extraordinary lunch": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120612&content_id=33162774&vkey=ice_news
Excerpts:

"This was one of my first events on my own," she said. "It was different for me to be traveling by myself and being out of my element. I'm so used to being around skating people. I wasn't sure what would be expected of me. I asked them for a description of what would take place during the luncheon. They wrote back and said, 'You'll be in business attire; we'll tell you when to stand up and when to toast.'"
"I never realized how prominent I was as a Filipino-American in the Winter Olympics. They had watched me skate and said they remembered me! The people who traveled from the Philippines were very interested in meeting me.

"Not everyone got to meet President Aquino and shake his hand, but I got to," she said. "I met a lot of people who wanted to take a picture with me."

leapfrogonice
06-14-2012, 02:23 AM
It is so great to see skaters being included in such events. In many so many instances, though not all, skaters make wonderful ambassadors for their sport and it is positive that this is being recognized outside of the skating world.