PDA

View Full Version : Nik Wallenda's tightrope walk over Niagara Falls

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Badams
06-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Is anybody here planning on watching this? Apparently it will be a primetime event. June 15th.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120606/ARTICLE/120609732/-1/news?p=1&tc=pg

I guess it's a pretty big deal? I should've tried to get tickets! But I dont know if I dare to watch. It makes me nervous imagining that man so vulnerable above the falls! :eek:

4rkidz
06-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Is anybody here planning on watching this? Apparently it will be a primetime event. June 15th.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120606/ARTICLE/120609732/-1/news?p=1&tc=pg

I guess it's a pretty big deal? I should've tried to get tickets! But I dont know if I dare to watch. It makes me nervous imagining that man so vulnerable above the falls! :eek:

there has been all sorts of rumours about financial concerns.. also annoyed people because the sponsors or authorities are requiring him to wear a harness and the tradition of the infamous Wallenda tradition is to always do it without but apparently he has no choice..:blah:

Badams
06-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Yeah, he's not happy about the harness. But since they aren't having much luck actually getting the wire across the falls, I'd hate to think about the struggle to rescue him if something went wrong!

4rkidz
06-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah, he's not happy about the harness. But since they aren't having much luck actually getting the wire across the falls, I'd hate to think about the struggle to rescue him if something went wrong!

but would make for interesting viewing :shuffle: :rofl: actually i would make it part of the deal that there is no rescue - as seriously not fair to put lives at risk.. hence I think he should be allowed to go with no harness.. not that I think I could watch though :eek:

Cachoo
06-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Let him go without a harness--if he dies he is doing exactly what he wants to be doing when his life ends. He knows the risks more than anyone. If he does proceed he should make it clear that he does not want rescuers to put themselves in harms way to save him if he falls since he made the decision not to use the harness. Now will the rescue crews obey?

vesperholly
06-07-2012, 06:41 PM

The Falls area search and rescue teams are excellent, by sad circumstance.

duane
06-07-2012, 07:41 PM
I still remember Karl Wallenda falling to his death back in 1978. Not at all interested in seeing this.

skatingfan5
06-07-2012, 08:05 PM
I still remember Karl Wallenda falling to his death back in 1978. Not at all interested in seeing this.I'm old enough to remember the horrible fall (while he was part of the 7-person pyramid) more than a decade earlier which killed 2 members of his family and paralyzed another. :(

Gazpacho
06-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Did anyone see the documentary about the guy who tightroped across the World Trade Center Towers? It won an Oscar in the documentary category a few years ago.

At one point, he even started dancing on the rope! :yikes:

skatingfan5
06-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Did anyone see the documentary about the guy who tightroped across the World Trade Center Towers? It won an Oscar in the documentary category a few years ago.

At one point, he even started dancing on the rope! :yikes:Yes, that was Man on Wire (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155592/) about Philippe Petit and it was a very, very absorbing documentary. His actual walk across the WTC towers was astounding, but all his preparations and the logistics of actually setting it up were fascinating as well.

manleywoman
06-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Man on Wire was great. And that guy is bonafide crazy. I can't imagine doing that. He was up there for what, 40 minutes or so? Yikes.

skatesindreams
06-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm old enough to remember the horrible fall (while he was part of the 7-person pyramid) more than a decade earlier which killed 2 members of his family and paralyzed another. :(

As am I.
I understand the tradition of which he is a part; still, I prefer not to watch, if he attempts this.

Badams
06-16-2012, 01:51 AM
About an hour and 15 min and he's going across, anybody watching?

shan
06-16-2012, 02:08 AM
I just don't know if I can watch! :scream:

Badams
06-16-2012, 02:16 AM
I'm watching. But I will change it if anything goes wrong. I honestly hope he's successful and accomplishes his dream.