PDA

View Full Version : Grease stain... help!!

restful urchin
06-06-2012, 11:49 PM
HI,
Please help me with my grease stain. I just got back from work and noticed a 3 or so inch grease stain around the knee of my tan cords. We were having a meeting at work, I was standing at the back leaning on one of those ubiquitous chairs and I must have leaned into some grease or grime.

I tried to just rub it a bit but nothing happened. I don't
want to make it worse so I thought I'd turn to the board for remedies. (It's times like this that I sure miss my mom. I swear she knew everything when it came to stuff like this. Or maybe that was just a mom thing...)
What works?
thanks!

tarotx
06-07-2012, 12:35 AM
My boyfriend is a mechanic and I use Dawn dish detergent to get out Grease stains. If it's bad I soak in dawn for an hour but if it's not too bad I just treat with dawn and then add it to the wash. It works real well for imo.

nerdycool
06-07-2012, 12:37 AM
If you use Dawn, be careful not to use too much, as it suds super easily. You don't wanna have a laundry room full of suds!

tarotx
06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
I've never had an issue with sudding but I only use enough to treat the stain-not wash a whole load or whatever would cause sudding.When I soak I do it in the sink and not the washer. Dawn is a little miracle worker for me.

Gazpacho
06-07-2012, 01:12 AM
There's a product called Stain Devils that I've found pretty effective. They have different Stain Devils for different types of stains. My local Walmart stocks them. Don't know what other stores do.

rjblue
06-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Stain Devils are the only product I've found that actually work on sunscreen stains.

Fast Orange hand cleaner works well for removing grease stains too.

KCC
06-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Tide used to have a 1-800 number for stain advice. If they still have the hotline the number should be on the bottle or on the P&G Tide website.

Aceon6
06-07-2012, 03:55 PM
There's a product sold at most auto parts stores that helps mechanics get stains out of clothes without stripping the dyes. Can't remember the name.

rjblue
06-07-2012, 04:10 PM
There's a product sold at most auto parts stores that helps mechanics get stains out of clothes without stripping the dyes. Can't remember the name.Fast Orange.

Other mechanics cleaners will work well too. You can buy it at WalMart or any place that sells tools and stuff.

NancyNC
06-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Add another recommendation for Dawn - it has worked great for me with grease stains. I always line dry the clothes after using it to make sure the stain is gone (instead of in the dryer) so I can retreat if needed.

Jenny
06-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I use Shout on stains before washing, and it works every time - even when you've already washed the item and only noticed the stain afterward.

restful urchin
06-08-2012, 02:32 AM
OP here.
Thanks so much for the advice. I did try the Dawn and it worked!!
You learn all sorts of things on a figure skating board!!!!:hat1:

FigureSpins
06-08-2012, 01:45 PM
I usually start with Shout Stain Stick and then use Shout when I wash the item. If the spot survives the first wash, I use Dawn on the next wash. When traveling, I've had great luck with putting Woolite right on the spot for 10-15 mins, then washing on cold/delicate.

Alas, DH isn't that diligent, but he does laundry, so I'm not complaining. I have several blouses/shirts with permanent spots because they were washed and dried without being treated. One is a beautiful eggplant purple blouse which goes with several suits, skirts and pants. (It's part of my "business travel" clothing investment - several pieces that can combine to create multiple outfits.)

I thought of this thread yesterday and decided to experiment on the hopeless spots.

Opened a can of Pam spray cooking oil and sprayed the entire front of the blouse, let it set for a while then washed and dried. Basically, I stained the rest of the blouse to match the existing stain. (Put newspaper inside to block the spray from going through to the back; pull the sleeves inside behind the paper)

The original spot is barely noticeable now. It would have been perfect if the original spot could have been blocked off somehow. Maybe I'll put a sticker over the spot on my next experiment.

Megi
06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
I usually use dish wash liquid, putting it directly on the stain 2-3 minutes before loading the washing machine. Never fails, doesn't do anything to the colours.

sk9tingfan
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I've had some pretty good luck with Lestoil.