PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Weir `Deep down I'm an old Russian Lady'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

DickButtonFan
06-07-2012, 04:38 AM
After 7-8 months I calmed down enough to watch the skating. I think I should had finished 3rd in Vancouver.
:rofl:

SM: You once said when you skate you are in the world of your dream and you want to take the viewer there with you. What does that world look like?
JW: Like the inside of the cloud. It's all sparkling and smells with Chanel n. 5

:rofl:

Must save this quote.

IceAlisa
06-07-2012, 04:39 AM
It's awesome, isn't it? Even if I am not a fan of Chanel No. 5.

DickButtonFan
06-07-2012, 04:41 AM
^ Yes, he really should write, I'm surprised his book was so boring. I guess he's better at speaking.

Macassar88
06-07-2012, 04:43 AM
Lochte. Ryan Lochte. :grope:

Couldn't agree more. That guy is hot

Ziggy
06-07-2012, 08:24 AM
I think I should have finished 3rd in Vancouver.

Delusional. :P

SM: I have an impression all your weirdness is calculated....

And this sums up Johnny Weir and is also why I dislike him.

He's a terrible narcissist and his 'weirdness' in contrived in order to provide him a lot of attention (pot > kettle, I know :D).

Having said that, it is true that Weir is the only celebrity amongst the current crop of US skaters. A Z-list celebrity he might be but a celebrity nevertheless and as a number of posters have remarked already in this thread, some people (who know nothing about skating) actually know who he is.

And love him or hate him, you do talk about him.

So yeah he might bring attention to skating and that's always a good thing.

Bournekraatzfan
06-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Wasn't there already a show like that, years ago, with a bunch of up-and-coming girls? Seems to me it was on Discovery.

Yes, though I think I saw it on The Learning Channel in 2006. It followed four US female skaters in the 2005/2006 season, one of whom was Alissa Czisny.

I would love to see Johnny's show!

spikydurian
06-07-2012, 09:32 AM
JW: Figure skating is an old sport. Not old, but well, elderly. The traditions are very important and the old people are ruling everything. Those people, by the way, are not interested in the gay athletes, and that's despite the fact in the USA the figure skating has kind of a `gay' reputation. It's just that everyone would rather keep it quiet and not upset the others.
I decided a long time ago there is nothing more important in life than to be what I am. As a consequence on one hand I didn't have to be in the usual boundaries. On the other hand I realize my results as the athlete suffered.
Very open and honest interview. :cool:
But not too sure whether the 'old people who rule the sport' like being told they are old :D, and mothers who send their sons to figure skating like the idea that 'figure skating has gay reputation'. :P
Good luck Johnny. Just do what you love to do! Be yourself as you say. There is only ONE AND ONLY ONE JOHNNY WEIR.

Poggi
06-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Yes, though I think I saw it on The Learning Channel in 2006. It followed four US female skaters in the 2005/2006 season, one of whom was Alissa Czisny.

Also Bebe Liang and Danielle Kahle, but I can't seem to recall the fourth one.

judiz
06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Sandy Rucker was the fourth girl

Cherub721
06-07-2012, 03:04 PM
When Weir says he should have won bronze, the question is who should have won gold and silver? I wouldn't be surprised if he said Plushenko and Takahashi. ;)

Skittl1321
06-07-2012, 05:06 PM
When Weir says he should have won bronze, the question is who should have won gold and silver? I wouldn't be surprised if he said Plushenko and Takahashi. ;)

That would have been a really good follow up question. And I think you are right. I would say Lysacek and Takahashi, but Johnny probably wouldn't. I think Johnny should have been 4th, or maybe 5th.

gkelly
06-07-2012, 05:09 PM
I guess we'll never know what he really thought the results should have been, but my guess is he'd say 1) Plushenko (quad), 2) Lysacek, 3) Weir (because Takahashi fell).

Cherub721
06-08-2012, 12:11 AM
I guess we'll never know what he really thought the results should have been, but my guess is he'd say 1) Plushenko (quad), 2) Lysacek, 3) Weir (because Takahashi fell).

I can't see Weir putting a clean 8 triple Lysacek above himself with 8 clean triples. :P I was thinking he would put Takahashi second because of his artistry and the fact that the fall was on a quad. Weir is no fan of Patrick Chan so he's not in the equation. He might have had Lambiel for silver. Lambiel was shaky, but he didn't fall and he attempted two quads.

Bournekraatzfan
06-08-2012, 05:42 AM
Thank you for the translation, TAHbKA! Interesting interview!

reut
06-08-2012, 08:02 AM
I can't see Weir putting a clean 8 triple Lysacek above himself with 8 clean triples. :P I was thinking he would put Takahashi second because of his artistry and the fact that the fall was on a quad. Weir is no fan of Patrick Chan so he's not in the equation. He might have had Lambiel for silver. Lambiel was shaky, but he didn't fall and he attempted two quads.

He wrote (http://www.sundancechannel.com/sunfiltered/2010/06/johnny-weir-looks-back-at-the-olympics-fortius-altius-maximus/) about Olympics:

I did the two best performances of my life, and I still failed to medal. I still haven’t quite come to terms as to why I lost to people who fell, but I am so beyond proud of what I did.

So I think he would put on the podium neither Takhashi nor Lambiel.

After such statement I wondered if he ever even tried to understand how COP works.